What's new

Local network names resolution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chudak

Occasional Visitor
Is there an option in ASUS RT-AC87R running Merlin 380.62 to enable DNS server?
My goal is to have all commuters's names connected to the router be resolved.

Thx

It's the well hidden menu in LAN > DHCP Server where you might find a suitable setting.

Commuters may need a ticket (DNS set to auto) to enter the plane, bus or 'share a ride' transport facilities (IP Pool) in your city (wlan, lan, router).

Last edited:
Local name resolution works out of the box. Just make sure your use the router as your LAN's DNS. You might also want to define a local domain.

Local name resolution works out of the box. Just make sure your use the router as your LAN's DNS. You might also want to define a local domain.

That's my expectation as well.
However when I see Client Name and IP, I can't ping devices by names. Any clues how to troubleshoot or fix it?

@RMerlin "make sure your use the router as your LAN's DNS" do you mean via "LAN - DHCP Server" => DNS Server 1 or 2 ?

Can you elaborate a little?

Last edited:
LAN - DHCP Server > DNS Server 1 and 2 should both be empty.
LAN - DHCP Server > Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS = Yes

Both of these are the default settings, hence it should work out of the box.

LAN - DHCP Server > DNS Server 1 and 2 should both be empty.
LAN - DHCP Server > Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS = Yes

Both of these are the default settings, hence it should work out of the box.

Thank you !

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!