What's new

Looking for a local wireless NAS with intranet capability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hrishi11

New Around Here
Hi there, this may be a really simple (or stupid) question but I am having a hard time finding a device that can act as a local wireless router. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I would like to access a webpage using a computer wirelessly. The webpage will be located on the access point. I can either load the webpage's HTML and PHP files on the access point directly via USB or SD Card. Once I do, I would like to open up my browser and type in a web address to access the HTML/PHP files wirelessly.

Also, the webpages will have forms that are coded in PHP. Hence a PHP server would need to come with it (i think?)

The distance between the computer and the access point is 10-15 feet.

Could you please advise what devices would be best (and most affordable) for my use case?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi there, this may be a really simple (or stupid) question but I am having a hard time finding a device that can act as a local wireless router. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I would like to access a webpage using a computer wirelessly. The webpage will be located on the access point. I can either load the webpage's HTML and PHP files on the access point directly via USB or SD Card. Once I do, I would like to open up my browser and type in a web address to access the HTML/PHP files wirelessly.

Also, the webpages will have forms that are coded in PHP. Hence a PHP server would need to come with it (i think?)

The distance between the computer and the access point is 10-15 feet.

Could you please advise what devices would be best (and most affordable) for my use case?

Thanks!

Isn't this an ordinary case of having a web server on a LAN? The Synology and QNAP NASes are primarily file servers, but they can be a light duty web server (they run Apache and PHP and Python).

You don't want a small computer as a web server?

The Access point is just normal. Connects to ethernet LAN or by other wired means. Router (WiFi capable or not).

If computer is within 15 ft. of WiFi access point, and WiFi access point connects to LAN via, e.,g., Ethernet, why wouldn't PC also use Ethernet? Assuming the PC is immobile.