What's new

Looking for a mesh solution in a house wired with cat6e.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kablam0r

New Around Here
Hi, we recently remodeled out house and I had cat6e drops put in every room. What's the best mesh solution taking that into consideration? My current router is a RT-AC88U. My house is about 3500 sqft.

Ubiquiti?

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

So, I assume these will allow the backhaul to run over the wired vs wireless? The only one I could find via google that had discussion around that was Google wifi. Thanks for the response!

If you have Ethernet throughout your home, you don't need a mesh solution, you need Ethernet connected Access Points. If you like wireless stability, Ubiquity Unifi has great solutions.

If you have Ethernet throughout your home, you don't need a mesh solution, you need Ethernet connected Access Points. If you like wireless stability, Ubiquity Unifi has great solutions.
Ahh, i thought you had to have mesh to do SSID roaming, no? Unifi was on my list to check out. Can I use that with my existing router?

You could use your Asus router, as your DHCP server with Access points, but i would disable the radios in the Asus and use the Access point wireless exclusively. I have idevices androids and intel laptops they all roam seamlessly with two unifi ac pro's, using 5ghz only. I had a 4k TV running wirelessly which worked well, but I decided to connect it via Ethernet to free up air space for other devices.

Your home construction will definitely play a role in how well your devices will roam. Thick stone / cement walls or concrete floors will certainly impede wireless connectivity and effective wireless client roaming. All in all, selecting the right wireless channels and tweaking Tx radio power, will go a long way in a more stable wireless environment, if you environment allows for it..

Last edited:

Please post in the NetGear Community Forms requesting Wired Backhaul.

It looks like its on the Road-Map and hopefully will be added in the next firmware update. The more you guys help push this suggestion, the higher chance it will be added. Come help get this feature!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Netgear-Orbi-Wired-Sattelite/idi-p/1145210

Quote from Orbi PM:
"Here's something I posted this morning on another thread for the same topic:

I've added Ethernet Backhaul into my list of Candidate Features for a future Firmware update. I can't yet commit to a delivery date, but wanted to acknowledge that this is a valid use case and something we're looking seriously at.

Orbi Product Management"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!