What's new

Looking for a range extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raiu

Regular Contributor
I would love to have wifi access out at the pool of our condo. It's across the street about 50-75 ft. I can't move my router it's where it needs to be in the house. I get full coverage in my condo and it almost makes it to where I would be sitting at the pool probably just short by 7 ft.

I was thinking about getting the TP-LINK TL-WA801ND. I can't find any real reviews on it.

I would like to stay around this price range. Yeah I know you get what you pay for, but I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of that 20$ lol

Best to use a WiFi Access Point (AP) to add/improve coverage.
Range Extenders, a.k.a. repeater, halve the throughput/speed.

I understand that. All I'm doing is streaming music or web surfing or turning in home work. I won't be watching Netflix or streaming HD movies at the pool.

Even if I get 5mbps thats faster then what I would get tethering my phone.

The issue still here is going to be that a lot of range extenders have really crummy range themselves, so it still might not extend things.

If at all possible you are best off either wiring in an outdoor access point, or even just wiring in an inexpensive wireless router/access point and sticking it in a window facing the pool and setting it on a channel seperate from the rest of your network.

I understand that. All I'm doing is streaming music or web surfing or turning in home work. I won't be watching Netflix or streaming HD movies at the pool.

Even if I get 5mbps thats faster then what I would get tethering my phone.

You have range extenders (marketing term for Wireless Distribution System, WDS), a.k.a. Repeaters. Bad choice.

You can put an Access Point (AP) near the outdoor area, then give it connectivity to your router by:
cat5 cable if possible
HomePlug/HPNA adapter which is IP over power line, a pair.
MoCA, IP over existing TV coax.
Relocating the WiFi router.

There are nice outdoor APs too, mount on patio cover, wall, etc. Like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&Description=engenius&N=-1&isNodeId=1

You have range extenders (marketing term for Wireless Distribution System, WDS), a.k.a. Repeaters. Bad choice.

You can put an Access Point (AP) near the outdoor area, then give it connectivity to your router by:
cat5 cable if possible
HomePlug/HPNA adapter which is IP over power line, a pair.
MoCA, IP over existing TV coax.
Relocating the WiFi router.

There are nice outdoor APs too, mount on patio cover, wall, etc. Like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&Description=engenius&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. I really do.

All of what you are suggesting is way over my budget. I live in a condo, I have and HOA that will not allow me to mount things on walls outside or on windows, and the pool is in a common area about 50 ft from my ft door. As stated in the OP, my router is where it is most functional for my home use needs. The Asus Rt-AC68r I have almost makes it to the location I need it too. I just need a boost. And all I need is 5mbps which is more then i get on my note 3 in that same location using my cell provider. I am okay with my speeds being cut in half.

My ISP is 30-25 so I get 15 at the pool? That's 3x better then my cell coverage.

Since I can't move the router I was thinking just a simple boost of the signal since I can not move my main AP/ router.

Again, I appreciate what you are suggesting, but I would consider that install for a single family house that I would be living in for more than 5 years.

All I am trying to do is save on the data plan on my phone by using my wifi to stream Pandora or shout cast.

I mentioned put it in a window, not on a window. Your HOA is actually that strict that they'd go after you because they see something IN your window like a router?

Keep in mind, you might have issues getting much of anything, even if you boost the signal since this is a common area and I assume you are going to have overlap from a ton of other people's wireless networks.

Best bet here is a simple N150 router with one of these on it http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UBNJ48/?tag=snbforums-20

Maybe one of these to go with it http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7NSIO8/?tag=snbforums-20

That antenna is actually pretty small...3-4" overall for the panel? Something like that. If you look at the stats on it, at a distance of 50-75ft it should cover a nice 40-60ft wide area (70 degree HPBW).

If that doesn't work, just drop back to the 5dBi antenna that is currently on the router. It should work out there and provide wider coverage, but a little less desirable (because it'll pick up more interference from surrounding networks and also not be quite a high gain).

I am not suggestion you necessarily put this outside. Edge of your condo by the pool or have it sitting on the window sill inside facing the pool.

I mentioned put it in a window, not on a window. Your HOA is actually that strict that they'd go after you because they see something IN your window like a router?

Keep in mind, you might have issues getting much of anything, even if you boost the signal since this is a common area and I assume you are going to have overlap from a ton of other people's wireless networks.

Best bet here is a simple N150 router with one of these on it http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UBNJ48/?tag=snbforums-20

Maybe one of these to go with it http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7NSIO8/?tag=snbforums-20

That antenna is actually pretty small...3-4" overall for the panel? Something like that. If you look at the stats on it, at a distance of 50-75ft it should cover a nice 40-60ft wide area (70 degree HPBW).

If that doesn't work, just drop back to the 5dBi antenna that is currently on the router. It should work out there and provide wider coverage, but a little less desirable (because it'll pick up more interference from surrounding networks and also not be quite a high gain).

I am not suggestion you necessarily put this outside. Edge of your condo by the pool or have it sitting on the window sill inside facing the pool.

Our condo is right in front of the office and yes, the little old laddies that work there like to complain a little.

And do they have a basis for complaining. IE, what do your HOA docs say?

I guess I am a more confrontational person these days than I used to, but I got feed up real fast with my old townhouse and the HOA we had.

My experience is most people who are on an HOA board and who run condominum associations are one of two people. 1) They are doing it because "no one else will" and their heart isn't in it and could careless, they just want it to go away. 2) They are a busy body who loves sticking their nose in everyone elses' business.

1 ignores 2, so 2 always gets their way. 2 also likes inventing things...which aren't in the covenant.

Anyway, frankly I'd tell them to stick it (maybe in a nice way the first time) if the HOA docs don't have anything on it.

Beyond that, stick it not in the window then. The router I linked you to has a bigger antenna on it (and removable) then a regular old wireless reapter (or at least any I have seen), and is cheap. It'll preform better. Better yet, a lot of wireless repeaters don't have AP modes/wired ports. The router can be put in access point mode and be wired in to your existing router, so you have no wifi performance penalties by repeating the signal.

So, at the very least, unless it is impossible to run a wire (powerline then?), get an actuall AP/router to extend your network instead of a repeater, put it where you are comfortable putting it.

They are the head of the board or what ever. I guess I should attend more meetings lol.

I was doing a little reasearch on it and found that it only supports wep in Wds mode which I use wpa2

I was on the HOA board here for 2 years. There's always one or two jerks that live to make mountains out of molehills.

Maybe you could put an AP with a built-in gain antenna in the window, high up, behind a curtain or some such.

Do you see anything in any other residents windows? Some people put sun catchers, decorations, x-mas lights, religious stuff, political signs, etc and are they ok with those? If so there's no need for them to fuss over a wireless access point sitting in the window...

if you wanna hide it just put a piece of thin paper in front of the AP on the window with some kinda generic seasonal picture or something that won't be offensive/questionable and there you go. They won't see the AP behind it.

HOA's can be a pain if you run against them - however, turn lemons into lemonade by bringing up the benefits of common area access.

Since this is in the common area, and you HOA's fees are for the common good, one option would be to present to the Board is to have a public/common WiFi access point(s) for resident usage (along with maintenance staff, management folks, etc).

Put a captive portal on it along with some parental type controls (either via OpenDNS or similar) so that folks cannot just jump on and get access to what some could consider inappropriate content.

food for thought...

sfx

HOA's can be a pain if you run against them - however, turn lemons into lemonade by bringing up the benefits of common area access.

Since this is in the common area, and you HOA's fees are for the common good, one option would be to present to the Board is to have a public/common WiFi access point(s) for resident usage (along with maintenance staff, management folks, etc).

Put a captive portal on it along with some parental type controls (either via OpenDNS or similar) so that folks cannot just jump on and get access to what some could consider inappropriate content.

food for thought...

sfx
The HOA probably won't go for this since the HOA would have to pay for the ISP service. Residents who wouldn't use it would complain. Been there, done that in my HOA.

Solved this.

I already had a wrt54gs. Installed ddwrt set it up as a repeater. Turned on guest network on my 68r and set a slightly lower security as this network will only be on when have people over or throwing parties at the pool.

I can now walk across the street and and stream music from my condo wifi and everything is separate from my main home network.

Cost of everything. 24 hrs of my time doing 30/30/30s all night and a few strands of hair. Lol.

From my 30down and 25 up connection, I get 6down and about 2 up. Which is good enough for my ipad to play pandora or shoutcast and this was the expected speeds so not too shabby.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!