What's new

Looking for a router for the next 10 years - need advice for $200 budget

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stepinstone

New Around Here
As a standard user, I had a NetGear N600 wndr3400v3 router for the last 10 years with 0 issues. For those 10 years my cable speed plan went from 10mb to 200mb now, so I am looking to upgrade my router to be used for the next 10 years or more. Currently with my current one I don't get speed over 60mb ever, youtube highest quality videos sometimes have buffering. My current modem Arris allows speed of 300mb, so if I get a good router and update my plan later on, I want to keep the same router.
  • Family apartment - 1000 sq ft. (8 active devices).
  • Need a pain-free (set it and forget it) router that doesn't need to be reset weekly
  • My building just got FIOS internet setup, so I am looking for something that can do close-to 1gb speeds in the future (4-6 years from now) and won't need to be replaced.
  • Budget of around $200 (+/- $50) and willing to wait for November deals season for the right model
I wanted to get NetGear brand again but at my job I saw how we had 2 different $200 routers and always had issues that it needed to be reset weekly or even daily until we got $500+ model. I read a few articles and saw good reviews on ASUS AX86U (but I am not sure if it's gonna be too much for my setup as non-power user?) or something like AX58U (with mixed reviews) or AX82U will do for next 10 years? I am also not again other brands like TP-Link (or even NetGear), etc, but after reading forums and articles I am still lost on what model will fit my requirements and I don't want to get something that will have issues or be unjustifiably expensive for what it is. Looking for any advise/help.

That's a whole lot of wants from consumer gear and frankly not much out there that will be plug in and forget.

Budget a bit more and get that stability you want. Not $500 though as that's just throwing money away.

I built my own "router" and just have an AP for wifi. The AP has amazing uptime compared to routers off the shelf. It's a nwa210ax and runs $150 on Amazon. I can get 1.7gbps out of it for lan traffic and you could probably just plug it into your Netgear and disable the WiFi and be good to go. I would speed test wired from the Netgear though and make sure the speed issue isn't the Netgear to begin with. If it's slow with a cable then looking into a wired only router and AP setup would be better than an all in one. Wired only routers can be cheap or tons of money depending on how fast the ports are for you're needs. You can get some though with 2.5ge ports for around $200 though.

That's a whole lot of wants from consumer gear and frankly not much out there that will be plug in and forget.
The one I currently have is basically set it and forget it. In what points would you say it will be a compromise for those ASUS models? I thought my requirements are kind of minimal (maybe except a future 1gb support potential).

I would speed test wired from the Netgear though and make sure the speed issue isn't the Netgear to begin with
Yes, I was planning on testing a wired connection, but from what I was reading, this model was having 100mbs limit.

As a standard user, I had a NetGear N600 wndr3400v3 router for the last 10 years with 0 issues. For those 10 years my cable speed plan went from 10mb to 200mb now, so I am looking to upgrade my router to be used for the next 10 years or more. Currently with my current one I don't get speed over 60mb ever, youtube highest quality videos sometimes have buffering. My current modem Arris allows speed of 300mb, so if I get a good router and update my plan later on, I want to keep the same router.
  • Family apartment - 1000 sq ft. (8 active devices).
  • Need a pain-free (set it and forget it) router that doesn't need to be reset weekly
  • My building just got FIOS internet setup, so I am looking for something that can do close-to 1gb speeds in the future (4-6 years from now) and won't need to be replaced.
  • Budget of around $200 (+/- $50) and willing to wait for November deals season for the right model
I wanted to get NetGear brand again but at my job I saw how we had 2 different $200 routers and always had issues that it needed to be reset weekly or even daily until we got $500+ model. I read a few articles and saw good reviews on ASUS AX86U (but I am not sure if it's gonna be too much for my setup as non-power user?) or something like AX58U (with mixed reviews) or AX82U will do for next 10 years? I am also not again other brands like TP-Link (or even NetGear), etc, but after reading forums and articles I am still lost on what model will fit my requirements and I don't want to get something that will have issues or be unjustifiably expensive for what it is. Looking for any advise/help.

If ASUS, consider an RT-AX86U or Pro version... one should easily cover 1000 sq ft. The Pro version will allow using future firmware that is now in Beta. Given you want to hold it for awhile, I would spend up a bit for the future firmware path, if necessary.

You will have to configure the ASUS router... if you are not prepared to do that, you may want to determine who will before you purchase the hardware for them. My install notes can be used to configure an ASUS router for basic operation... if you are up to it.

I suspect your Arris modem capped at 300Mbps is something like an SB6141... if your ISP offers a free newer modem, I would retire the old modem, too. But the 300Mbps until FIOS should not be a problem.

OE

Last edited:
Is your budget $200 a year/$2K total? It still is too little for the capabilities you need/want.

Try focusing on what a router does (or, should do). Secures your network. And hope it lasts for more than 2 years at that price point.

I suspect your Arris modem capped at 300Mbps is something like an SB6141... if your ISP offers a free newer modem, I would retire the old modem, too. But the 300Mbps until FIOS should not be a problem.
Yes, this is actually the exact one I have...and I own it (bought a few years back to not pay ISP $15/mo). For now I don't think it makes sense replacing since I pay for 200mbs but if I upgrade the plan or move to FIOS I will replace it.

No home router purchased today will have 10+ years of support. Most will not last for 10+ years as hardware.

No home router purchased today will have 10+ years of support. Most will not last for 10+ years as hardware.

Not a problem. The OP can still proceed as they plan and hope... when the time comes to upgrade again, naturally or unnaturally, they'll deal with it like we all have to... they'll go shopping.

OE

Step, I think this router fits your requirements best:

Asus GT AX6000

Will it be working in ten years? My Asus 66u still works and was in service until I replaced it with the GT ax6000

But, it is now two or three wireless versions behind. But, was able to handle homes internet connection until internet speed got upgraded.

The GT ax6000 has been stable, great wireless signal, runs Merlin, has good internals.

It’s big, but I don’t mind that, or its resemblance to a head crab from Half Life.

And, it’s about half the price right now that it was originally.

You need to up your budget.
Maybe a naive question, but do all of those cheaper routers (under $100) would be considered not secure and unsafe? A lot of people I know tell me spending $200 on a router is too much as they have cheaper ones that "just works fine" and have good speed/range.

Yes, this is actually the exact one I have...and I own it (bought a few years back to not pay ISP $15/mo). For now I don't think it makes sense replacing since I pay for 200mbs but if I upgrade the plan or move to FIOS I will replace it.
Do you have Spectrum?

Their free modems are fine, no monthly charge.

you can consider Asus RT-AX86S
no point to be lemming :) and go with 1Gbit or faster internet speed. For very long time 300Mbit will be too much even.
I am still using Asus RT-A68U (2013 router still supported by RMerlin and FT) and it meet all my needs.

router you have now is still good as wi-fi AP if you are not using VR for gaming :)
depend of you knowledge you can consider mini PC with i226-v 2.5Gbit NIC for example like here (at different page there was promotion with RAM and SDD for $175) and put on it OpenWRT or OPNsense and add wi-fi AP to it. This case you will have very fast router.

See what those cheaper routers offer for firmware updates/fixes over their lifetime and tell me they're just as safe.

Working 'fine' isn't the same as being secure.

$200 will buy a not-bad, but not an especially nice dinner for a small family. Spending the same or more one-time cost for the next few years is hardly onerous in 2023.

Maybe a naive question, but do all of those cheaper routers (under $100) would be considered not secure and unsafe? A lot of people I know tell me spending $200 on a router is too much as they have cheaper ones that "just works fine" and have good speed/range.

TP links in that range are ok but are NOT ten year devices.

I think Asus and Merlin quality are worth paying more for, but you can read this review at wirecutter

And decide if going lower end is better.

As I recall extra security for TP link requires a subscription.

But, I did not re read reviews today.

That wirecutter link is cute. They spent five years researching which router will be best today. Sigh.

GT-AX6000. Wait for it to go on sale, if you must. Either way, the best bang for the buck.

Working 'fine' isn't the same as being secure.
Anything can be secure if you don't open crap to the outside world.

The issue with firmware is more of a consumer gear problem than higher end or custom setups. There's plenty of bugs to go around though it just depends on how you approach them in the first place. The HW makes a difference as the largest attack vector will get hit first to expose weaknesses. If you're leaking identifying info that's a good reason you get attacked in the first place. If no one knows you're there during a ping sweep then that's your first defense. If you do respond you shouldn't give away any details of what is running on that IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!