What's new

Looking for a switch and access point...need suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ARAMP1

Occasional Visitor
I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 on the downstairs level of my house. I want to run some ethernet cable to my upstairs, one room in particular that has an xbox one and a TV. It's kind of on the other side of my house (and on a different level) where my wifi signal is weak, so I was thinking on adding an access point too.

Anyway, I came across the Asus RP-AC68U and thought it would be neat. Or, should I just stay with a normal five place switch and go with a Ubiquiti access point? I'd like to have a dual band access point, but could live with only AC. I'd like a smooth transition from access point to my router, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Anyway, I came across the Asus RP-AC68U and thought it would be neat.

there is no need to use a repeater if you are going to run ethernet

how many ethernet ports do you need upstairs as any wireless router can be used as both an access point and switch

look at

netgear r7000 or asus rt-ac68u

both of the above have specific ap modes that will give you 4 ethernet ports and dual band wifi

there is no need to use a repeater if you are going to run ethernet

how many ethernet ports do you need upstairs as any wireless router can be used as both an access point and switch
Two at least. Maybe three or four just to be safe (if I wanted to add a Roku or something later)
pete y testing said:
look at

netgear r7000 or asus rt-ac68u

both of the above have specific ap modes that will give you 4 ethernet ports and dual band wifi
Why would you spend the money on a full router and not just use an access point? More functionality?

routers are usually cheaper in the same spec

plus access points dont have spare ethernet ports

ether of the above will give you 4 ports to use and saves you having to buy a switch

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!