What's new

Looking to buy a NAS or build one.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deusex

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a NAS or build one.

My budget for the NAS is 200 euros for that price i know i can expect a 2 BAY NAS. I want to be able stream 1080p mkv movies to like 6 devices mostly over SMB, have a Itunes server used by 3 devices at all times and also at the same time download stuff using torrent and nzb.

My budget to build one is 200 euros knowing i already have hard drives, DDR3 Ram and a case. So basically i need a motherboard, a cpu and a psu. I have found this config:
ASRock H97 Pro4 (6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 13 and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug)
Corsair PC VS Series VS350 - 80 PLUS ATX 350 watts
Intel Pentium G3220 - 3.0GHz - Haswell M

Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers

For backup and storing files which you consider important / irreplaceable, I would mention that the hardware does not a NAS make. The OS (and it's configuration) is also what powers that part of the NAS puzzle.

I suggest you keep saving a little or a lot more for a Synology or QNAP NAS with NAS spec'd hdd's too instead.

Otherwise, the low end (yet high power requirement with low efficiency) parts you've spec'd might only give you the illusion of the robustness and security a good NAS offers. Depending on the OS you decide upon, the configuration you go with and the level of understanding you have of all the interdependent parts.

QNAP TS-251 looks like a good fit at 250 euros and the memory can be upgraded.
Do you have suggestions?

For the build i was thinking of using freenas.

For backup and storing files which you consider important / irreplaceable, I would mention that the hardware does not a NAS make. The OS (and it's configuration) is also what powers that part of the NAS puzzle.

I suggest you keep saving a little or a lot more for a Synology or QNAP NAS with NAS spec'd hdd's too instead.

Otherwise, the low end (yet high power requirement with low efficiency) parts you've spec'd might only give you the illusion of the robustness and security a good NAS offers. Depending on the OS you decide upon, the configuration you go with and the level of understanding you have of all the interdependent parts.

I fully agree. Synology or QNAP, 2 bay. Try their on-line demos to see what NAS software does.

Wow i tried qnap demo so many features but i will just a small portion of it. But it gave me more ideas.

Some features aren't apparent in the demos... such as Synology's utility to do file version backups. It's called Time Backup.

either will be great.

I've used a DS212 for a few years now. Runs latest software. Very pleased. No problems.

Be sure to shop prices for whichever you choose at Newegg.com. Great support and liberal exchange/return.

QNAP TS-251 or it's Synology equivalent - both probably meet your needs...

Asustor has boxes similar as well... and Netgear (ex.ReadyNAS)

the equivalent of the QNAP TS-251 would be the Synology DiskStation DS216play. They are very close price wise. I wonder if the memory can be upgraded on the ds216play tho.