What's new

Low-Power SSD for amtm, Diversion, Entware and Tailscale on the USB 2.0 Port (USB 3.0 configured as USB 2.0)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If something needs that much RAM - running it on a router is not a good idea. The reason Suricata project never got further than experimental stage.

If you want to see which processes are using swap and how much they each use, here is a short script.

On my AX88U running unbound, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin and a few other self inflicted scripts, all I see are 0 for the amount of swap actually used.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for file in /proc/[1-9]*/status
do
  if grep -q VmSwap $file ; then
        awk '/VmSwap|Name/{printf $2 " " $3 }END{ print ""}' $file
  fi
done

You never used 10GB swap. You have 10GB swap file size. It's the same like Windows automatically assigned page file 2-3GB, but you make it custom 16GB just in case
I had an Unbound user specifically ask for the ridiculous large sized swap file sizes. Apparently his router ran out of memory with his setup. It‘s an option in amtm but not the recommended one. Skynet will want to see 2 GB though, the recommended size.

I had an Unbound user specifically ask

This user?

1706838870474.png

Skynet will want to see 2 GB though, the recommended size.

If that's the case, there's something wrong...

AdGuard Home, which is a pig with all the dependencies, can run nicely on a 512MB machine with no swap needed running OpenWRT/QSDK...

If that's the case, there's something wrong...

Perhaps @Adamm can tell what is looking for 2GB swap in Skynet. The script doesn't use anywhere near 2GB for sure.

Perhaps @Adamm can tell what is looking for 2GB swap in Skynet. The script doesn't use anywhere near 2GB for sure.

Back in the AC68U days, having less then 2gb swap and custom scripts lead to “cannot fork()” errors that crashed dnsmasq and other processes. At the time it was found by having a 2GB swap file alleviated this issue so it was made a requirement to prevent issues.

Back in the AC68U days, having less then 2gb swap and custom scripts lead to “cannot fork()” errors that crashed dnsmasq and other processes.
So my question is, if the USB drive fails, does skynet prevent the router from coming up in a usable state with a simple power cycle? I know if I just run the CLI command it doesn't start if it can't find the USB drive (even if it is operating fine).

I ask because I am soon leaving a router in situ for 10 months unattended.

So my question is, if the USB drive fails, does skynet prevent the router from coming up in a usable state with a simple power cycle? I know if I just run the CLI command it doesn't start if it can't find the USB drive (even if it is operating fine).

Why don't you try it and find out? You may have other addons or settings that might cause a problem. Power off your router, unplug the USB drive and then turn it back on.

Last edited:

Skynet will time out after a set amount of time if the USB isn’t found on startup

Why don't you try it and find out?
Fair point, and I will. To be less subtle about it, Skynet is one of the scripts that doesn't depend on entware, but does require a USB drive for a swap. Any script that requires a USB drive should fail gracefully, as @Adamm just confirmed.

Users clearly want choice and we offer it to them. The wide successful usage tells a clear picture. These days consumer routers do more than just routing. Live with that fact.

I like having options... I'm keeping my 10GB swap file in place. Thanks!

Fair point, and I will. To be less subtle about it, Skynet is one of the scripts that doesn't depend on entware, but does require a USB drive for a swap. Any script that requires a USB drive should fail gracefully, as @Adamm just confirmed.
So does Diversion. No ad blocking but Dnsmasq will run as set in the WebUI.
And amtm will just show the ones still present in /jffs. Exactly like I designed it and it will recover when the ones missing will be found. Gracefully and magically.

And amtm will just show the ones still present in /jffs. Exactly like I designed it and it will recover when the ones missing will be found. Gracefully and magically.
Yes, it does. I noticed it the other day when I had Skynet installed but wouldn't start because it didn't find the USB drive (others did) and eventually timed out. It showed in amtm as installed because the script was in /jffs. I deleted the script from /jffs and then reinstalled from amtm, after which it worked fine.

How does the quote go--any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Thank you Merlin app developers! New to the scene, applying Skynet and Diversion for the last four days to my AX86U Pro w/ Merlin 388.6 release. Diversion is uber cool in Standard mode - imho. Hardware wise - Patriot SSD and Orico 2139U3 function as expected on the USB 3.0 router port.

Please note, for mission critical, like my main desktop, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1tb (x2) deployed - wife's desktop, Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD 500gb (x2). Enuff said, right?

1706885850992.png

1706886713978.png

1706886018511.png
1706885909709.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!