What's new

Low-Power SSD for amtm, Diversion, Entware and Tailscale on the USB 2.0 Port (USB 3.0 configured as USB 2.0)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Magic* - the essential ingredient in any of @thelonelycoder's scripts. :p
There really is magic in there. After doing a manual backup of my Diversion whitelist to facilitate the swap from a USB thumb drive to the new SSD, I discovered that Diversion will back itself up to jfss and then use that backup to reinstall Diversion on a new drive. I didn't have to a thing because @thelonelycoder had already done the work for me.

There really is magic in there. After doing a manual backup of my Diversion whitelist to facilitate the swap from a USB thumb drive to the new SSD, I discovered that Diversion will back itself up to jfss and then use that backup to reinstall Diversion on a new drive. I didn't have to a thing because @thelonelycoder had already done the work for me.

It's about as persistent as some well-written malware. Please take that as a compliment, @thelonelycoder! Lol

Stop bitching about what we do out of new and past experiences. Users clearly want choice and we offer it to them. The wide successful usage tells a clear picture. These days consumer routers do more than just routing. Live with that fact.

@thelonelycoder - when was the last time you had a security audit??

That goes for the other script writers as well...

Well - at some point - folks are going to have to consider what all these scripts do for security of the device.

As I've previously mentioned - I appreciate the creativity and contributions of the larger scripting community, but at the same time, I do question if that development effort has taken security as a priority... I think not... most of the scripters here are hobby players, and have zero skin in the game if your device is compromised...

at least @RMerlin, @GNUton, and John's fork, they do consider security first...

I do development as my jobby-job, and I've done this for a better part of 30 years - so don't take my feedback lightly...

I'm not some guy writing shell scripts in grandma's cellar and publishing it on github...

I agree about security being a priority but at the end of day....the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and these 3rd party scripts are ALL optional. You can't control what users do even if they're inform, they will still do as they wish. Just like in your case, if you don't use them that's perfectly fine too. That's your choice and no one is mad at you whether you do or don't.

I wouldnt get to caught up in all this. Maybe use your skills to create a nifty script for us :)

It would be optional to use any ways!

First pages of this thread fit well in my RAM. On this last one I may need 10GB swap. 👎

Guys, what happened? We had some fun here mixed with usable for many information.
What he said. I’m a wee bit disappointed my thread has taken this turn.

I’m guessing Devs write scripts because they see a possibility or a need and a way to fulfill the challenge; folks install the scripts because they have a need or get a kick out of squeezing performance or capabilities from their little box with antennae.

I see a parallel with what petrolheads do with their cars, some just like to tinker, compare, chew the fat.

The experienced folks installing these scripts or addons know exactly what they are letting themselves in for and the rest of us just take a risk and if it works we enjoy the moment, if it all goes pear-shaped then the only thing we should be doing is taking a look at ourselves.

It’s a great community with some great characters, at both ends of the knowledge spectrum, let’s just take a step back and savour that.

k.

Last edited:
Just to bring this back to the OP, I did put one of the Patriot Burst SSDs in an Orico enclosure and plugged it in to my 88U. It cycles in and out, mounting and unmounting. I'm guessing this is a power issue? Happens in either port, and not in the USB ports in my PCs. The pair work just fine in those.

Just to bring this back to the OP, I did put one of the Patriot Burst SSDs in an Orico enclosure and plugged it in to my 88U. It cycles in and out, mounting and unmounting. I'm guessing this is a power issue? Happens in either port, and not in the USB ports in my PCs. The pair work just fine in those.
I’ve been wanting to get a Patriot 300 NVMe SSD and an Enclosure and have been reading quite a lot about certain of the the Orico controllers falling asleep (at the wheel, so to speak), but primarily with JMicron (JM583?) controllers (not just Orico). The RTL9210 chipset and AS Media ASMXXX seem less affected. Maybe that’s the power issue?

There is however a plethora of Orica Enclosures even for the same form factor M.2, some are NGFF (essentially M.2 SATA), some are NVMe, it’s nigh impossible to work out the model applicable to your SSDs combination of form factor (M.2 mostly), SATA (older and slower @ 5GBPs) vs NVMe @ (pick your generation USB 3,1 Gen 1/Gen2, 3.2), 10, 20, 40 GBPs, then there’s different chipsets. Take a look at Oricos website (no affiliation), it’s giving me a headache.

So instead of buying the SSD and enclosure I just bought a cheap passthrough USB Voltage meter to play with while you lot work out which enclosure actually works…

k.

Did you format the drive before connecting it to the router? If so what format did you use? If not what is the drive's format? Does the system log file show any errors with the drive or it's mounting? Did you follow the often recommended L&LD's AMTM steps for preparing the drive for use with swap file and scripts? See the Prepare the USB Drive for the swap file, Entware, and scripts. section at the following link:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!