What's new

New Fiber Install MoCA Routing Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madden_07

New Around Here
Hello all,

As my current contract with Xfinity is coming up here soon I'm looking into getting Metronet Fiber installed in my house as a replacement. My only concern is getting the routing correct as I know they wont be able to run the ONT into a central location in my house very easily.

My proposed idea is to have them run the fiber line into my attic just as they did with the coax line for Xfinity, then mount the ONT up there. I would then run a patch cable from it to a MoCA adapter which would then go to my office which houses all my networking equipment. In my head I feel like this would work, but I just wanted to get a second opinion from you all just to make sure I'm not crazy.

Including a diagram of my proposal to help better explain what I'm after, as well as one showing my current setup

MN.png

Current Setup.png

Last edited:
If you ever intend to go above 1 Gbit/s symmetric service, have them run the fiber to your office or enter through an exterior wall and mount the ONT inside. Don't go via moca as not likely to see much above the current 2.5 Gbit/sec half duplex ( roughly 1 Gb/sec each way for an isolated pair, lower for 3+ nodes) . Depending on which part of the world you are in, it can get extremely hot in attics 120-140 F during the summer. Not good for man nor beast or networking gear.

Depending on which part of the world you are in, it can get extremely hot in attics 120-140 F during the summer. Not good for man nor beast or networking gear.
Yes, that would not work in Texas as the attics are way too hot in the summer.

FWIW - most utls going into the home - there's the demarc between community and home - and that is generally where CableTV, POTS, and Electric services hit the edge of the house...

From there - there's generally the "home run" from the demarc to the Modem/Residential Gateway...

Talk to your installer, and don't make it complicated - you should be fine if you keep it simple...

The main issue with the proposal is that you’re currently using MoCA for LAN connectivity, and the proposed scheme looks to link the ONT (WAN!) connection using only a single additional MoCA adapter — so seemingly through your MoCA LAN network, which bridges to a LAN port on your router. Right? You’d need a separate non-conflicting MoCA WAN network for the ONT/router WAN link if forced to share coax with the MoCA LAN.

More related blathering on options here. (‘gist: If forced to use coax shared with the MoCA LAN and the coax is free of TV signals, a pair of Frontier FCA252 MoCA 2.5 adapters, set to “25GW,” is the recommended approach for effecting the MoCA WAN.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!