What's new

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maylyn

Regular Contributor
ASUS has unveiled their first high end 8-port next generation flagship router targeting gamers and enthusiasts. The ASUS RT-AC88U

ASUS RT-AC88U

Specs as follows

Currently it's still under embargo and testing tuning phase, so performance review and indicators will not be reveal but performance are really looking excellent from our internal testings :D

I will doing a comprehensive review on the ASUS RT-AC88U when I'm allow to post and i will only mention what is being allowed for the time being.

RMerlin's firmware will compatible with the ASUS RT-AC88U as well.

Availability ~ Late Q4 2015/Q1 2016 (ASUS SG will announce it in due time).

Image Credits ~ www.cnet.com

I wonder when it will be available in Europe...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This has been my primary router at home for about three weeks now, and I've had Asuswrt-Merlin running on it for nearly a month. Asuswrt-Merlin will be supported right at launch time (thanks to Asus providing me with an advanced sample for development purposes).

I can't provide benchmarks or technical details yet beyond what is already published by CNet, but what I can say is the wireless and USB performances are both quite impressive.

Very interesting. However I do not get all that ROG branding. A router is a generic hardware that EVERYONE can benefit from and a product with MU-MIMO (or Xstream for that matter) is more targeted at large household with many devices than a specific gamers need. I know many people with Asus router and none of these find other ROG products appealling.

Aiming these products at gamers with the overkill (and less than subtle) ROG styling may very well make old Asus customers believe product is not for them.

ROG brand means nothing by itself, the design is something I could live with (easily).

The other gaming specific features do not need to be enabled either, and, I would suggest they shouldn't be either for best (routing) performance.

This has been my primary router at home for about three weeks now, and I've had Asuswrt-Merlin running on it for nearly a month. Asuswrt-Merlin will be supported right at launch time (thanks to Asus providing me with an advanced sample for development purposes).

I can't provide benchmarks or technical details yet beyond what is already published by CNet, but what I can say is the wireless and USB performances are both quite impressive.

Interesting, hopefully that means its release is sooner rather than later. Are you able to vaguely comment on how hot this one runs vs the 87?

Last edited:
Interesting, hopefully that means its release is sooner rather than later. Are you able to vaguely comment on how hot this one runs vs the 87?

Not accurately, since my top is half removed, for easier access to its serial port. In general, I'd say the measured temperature seems pretty similar, despite a 400 MHz clock increase on the CPU, and higher performance on both radios. Can't comment on how the top feels however, due to that.

ROG brand means nothing by itself, the design is something I could live with (easily).

The other gaming specific features do not need to be enabled either, and, I would suggest they shouldn't be either for best (routing) performance.

This isn't officially an ROG device, AFAIK. The only ROG-like design hints are the discrete red highlights on the antennas, and the patterns in the air vents. And the packaging box is very similar to their other recent routers.

MayLyn how many REV has there been on the 87 3-4 and wath was NEW on every new REV, and still same proplem on it was it the 5GHz chipset?
And is it the end of the 87 era NOW when the 88 comming out?
And where will this 88U but itself in this chart?
ASUS-5GHzupdownthroughputSNB.png

Last edited:
Not accurately, since my top is half removed, for easier access to its serial port. In general, I'd say the measured temperature seems pretty similar, despite a 400 MHz clock increase on the CPU, and higher performance on both radios. Can't comment on how the top feels however, due to that.

Thanks, it looks like this one has a little better ventilation vs the 87 with its ports on the bottom front, and bigger slits in the top of the back. I've never had any issues related to heat with the 87 but I was just curious.

Eric,

Do you feel the performance difference between the AC87U & the AC88U is enough to make upgrading worthwhile? I have finally got my AC87R up and running with a stable configuration and do not wish to go through that experience again.

Thanks for any insight that you see fit to provide!

MayLyn how many REV has there been on the 87 3-4 and wath was NEW on every new REV, and still same proplem on it was it the 5GHz chipset?
And is it the end of the 87 era NOW when the 88 comming out?
And where will this 88U but itself in this chart?
ASUS-5GHzupdownthroughputSNB.png
Yes, my concern is that Asus is throwing in the towel on the Wave 2 technology & is now placing their bets on the X-stream platform.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!