What's new

MoCA and "remotely powered" amplified splitter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
MoCA question...there's an amplified splitter that Comcast added to my cable entry box. It's "remotely" powered by an indoor power supply at my TV. The cable feed into the house is used as the path for both power for the amplified splitter and the path for cable TV into my house. This creates a challenge for me in terms of wiring in a MoCA adapter that I may have figured out. If I wire the MoCA adapter in as given in the mfr instructions, the cable-in from the amplified splitter to the MoCA adapter cable-in, and the cable-out of the MoCA adapter to the amplified splitter power supply, that breaks the path of the power for the amplifier and doesn't work.

My thought is to put in a splitter for the cable into the house from the amplified splitter. One output from this added splitter would go to the amplified splitter power supply, and the other output would go to the MoCA adapter cable-in. The splitter output that goes to the amplified splitter output would pass DC power, the splitter port that goes to the MoCA adapter would not pass power. I see 2-way splitters out there that have only one output port that passes DC power that seem to be meant for this sort of application.

So the power path for the amplified splitter would still be there, but the MoCA adapter wouldn't be getting the power meant for the amplified splitter. Does this sound like it would work? Does there have to be anything special about the splitter that I use for this? I've found a splitter that seems to fill the bill, and it goes up to above 2GHz. in bandwidth:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC2V8K/?tag=snbforums-20

Thanks!

MoCA question...there's an amplified splitter that Comcast added to my cable entry box. It's "remotely" powered by an indoor power supply at my TV. The cable feed into the house is used as the path for both power for the amplified splitter and the path for cable TV into my house
Thanks!

You are certain that the same coaxial cable is being used to carry both power for the splitter and the CATV signal?

I have used CATV amps before that used coaxial to carry power to them from a remote location but the video signal was always on a separate coaxial. I always assumed CATV installers did this because the carry thousands of feet of RG6 on their truck and the only electrical wire they carry is for ground connections. It is also the way CATV operators power actives in their cable plant.

You are certain that the same coaxial cable is being used to carry both power for the splitter and the CATV signal?

I have used CATV amps before that used coaxial to carry power to them from a remote location but the video signal was always on a separate coaxial. I always assumed CATV installers did this because the carry thousands of feet of RG6 on their truck and the only electrical wire they carry is for ground connections. It is also the way CATV operators power actives in their cable plant.

Yep, only one line coming in, and it goes to the amplified splitter power supply. The "output" of the amplified splitter power supply goes to the STB.

Do you need MoCA in every room with coax? Can you move the amp to a room that doesn't have coax and switch the cable from that room to the power input?

Do you need MoCA in every room with coax? Can you move the amp to a room that doesn't have coax and switch the cable from that room to the power input?

Tried that with the Comcast guy, but other than the one that the amplified splitter power supply is on, the other cable wall jacks go through a splitter or two that doesn't pass power. So that doesn't work, unless I dig into the wiring in the walls and replace the existing splitters with splitters that pass power. I'd rather not get into that *smile*.

Good idea, though. Thanks!

I dunno-just brainstorming here, but I believe that this started with you having issues with powerline. If you're not able to get this working can you wire everything else with MoCA , connect your TV via the aV2000 powerline and bridge that into the MoCA network somewhere else?

I dunno-just brainstorming here, but I believe that this started with you having issues with powerline. If you're not able to get this working can you wire everything else with MoCA , connect your TV via the aV2000 powerline and bridge that into the MoCA network somewhere else?

First off, I appreciate your responses.

I'm currently using the powerline networking between my cable entry and the main TV. Don't really have issues with it, other than wanting to replace the AV600 adapter on my solar panel monitor with an AV2000 adapter, and would like that link to be faster. Just as a connection, the powerline networking has been reliable. But I'm also looking to upgrade that link from powerline networking to MoCA. I'm using wifi elsewhere, but for media streaming to my TV, I'm looking for a link fast and consistent enough for UHD streaming, which MoCA would do. So if I can't get the MoCA link working between the cable entry and my TV, then I'll have to do the best I can between powerline networking and wifi.

Other than wanting fast enough internet for UHD at my TV, my home network is doing great.

Thanks!

Well, now I have the splitter referenced above, guess I'll just try it *smile*.

Thanks.

Okay, tried it and finally have both MoCA and TV working. The 2-way splitter with one port power pass does exactly what I needed.

Finally. I can most likely upgrade to MoCA 2.0 at this point, as well. Just add one more splitter at the cable modem end and I'll be there *smile*.

Awesome to see you have this sorted and one step away from some faster tv. Remember though that even most 4k programs only need about 20-25Mbps and most TVs only have a 100Mbit Ethernet port. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!