What's new

Most solid RMerlin firmwares for these 2 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canuckle

Regular Contributor
MODS, I just realized I should have posted in RMerlins section, sorry and feel free to move.

Hey all,

Just wondering for the AC68U and AC87U, what are currently the best performing firmwares for each? Looking for stability and wireless range/throughput.

My uses are pretty standard, no Open VPN or such, just lots of wireless clients, a NAS, outside access, etc. Lots of port forwarding, and a few AC clients.

I have the 68 now, considering the 87 soon.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike,

I have an RT-AC87U.

48_beta1 has been stable for me, much better than 47. I just installed 48_beta2 and it seems the System Log is even more quiet. Performance has been great all along, but with 47 I had stability issues. As a note, I have automated daily reboots in the early AM of the router. I may back off doing daily reboots since 48_betas have been much more stable for me, but since I just put on 48_beta2; I'd like to give it some time to see. My family doesn't like when I disrupt their games, streaming, browsing. You'd think the world has ended :)

I'm using port forwarding on a couple ports with about 25 clients a USB thumb drive (2.0, not 3.0). I have a mix of 5GHz and 2.4 GHz clients on both N & AC. Wireless range is very good for me and with the router in my home office, I get VERY fast connections that rival my 1GHz wired connection. For Internet connectivity, there isn't much difference even through a wall 20' away compared to being a couple feet from it with 5GHz. That being said, 2.4 GHz still goes farther.

Last edited:
I would go for the Merlin fork 374.43_2-04j9527

Unfortunatly I haven't had any luck with the wifi with the latest merlin or asus releases and got tired of rebooting & clearing nvram every few days and weeks. With this fork it's the first time in a long time that I've seen a 2 digit uptime ;)

My impression with last releases is that asus focuses more on adding a bunch of fancy features instead of making the the router more stable.

Thank you both for the thoughtful replies, and my apologies for the tardy response...Halloween is like Christmas for a good friend of mine, and it was a busy weekend, lol.

M1ch43lk, are you on the 87 or 68? I assume 68 but you know what assume does...;)

Thank you again, this is such a helpful forum.

Mike