What's new

RMerlin under Hyper-V?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kstamand

Occasional Visitor
Is it possible to run RMerlin / AsusWrt under Hyper-V? If yes, are there any references out there to get me started?
My goal is to have a sandbox, without buying another router / more hardware, to play and learn without disrupting my home network.

Unless something has happened since I asked the same back then…

Was afraid of that, but figured I'd ask. THANKS MUCH for the response

Unless something has happened since I asked the same back then…
I followed this thread— @RMerlin your router lab photo sends a 404.
Time for a new one?

Reactions: ika
That photo was from 2015, so quite old. I posted a few updates over the years. I recently moved the RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U and RT-AX56U to the closet to make some space for the RT-BE96U, so here's one from the current setup.

Wow, impressive! I thought I had quite a few (I believe around 8, 4 in service, one for trying code and the rest in various states of needing repair).

I would think with all that RF, you wear a Faraday cap:

If not, your faithful followers will chip in and get you one ;-)

That photo was from 2015, so quite old. I posted a few updates over the years. I recently moved the RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U and RT-AX56U to the closet to make some space for the RT-BE96U, so here's one from the current setup.

I would hate to see what the client device shelf looks like for testing purposes...

I would hate to see what the client device shelf looks like for testing purposes...
There's no dedicated client. I use my laptop and my tablet when I need to do wifi or LAN-side testing. The rest of the testing is done on the target router's WAN side, as I open SSH + webui to the WAN.

Nearby I also have a Quotom fanless PC that runs XCP-NG (but which I also keep unplugged until needed). The main VM on it can mimic an ISP, as it hosts a PPPoE server, and is also configured to delegate a /64 out of my HE /48 tunne over DHCP-PDl. I no longer need that however since my current ISP has IPv6 support and also delegates a /56 prefix to me.

I would think with all that RF, you wear a Faraday cap:
None of these are kept plugged. I have close to a dozen AC adapters on the desk nearby, all labeled by model. When I need to test a specific device, I plug its power adapter and WAN interface so I can turn it on and do my tests.

In the living room I also have a place where I keep the RT-AC66U_B1 and RT-AX86U_Pro. I keep one of these turned on 24/7 (but with 2.4 GHz disabled), for longer term testing of whichever platform I'm working on at the time (386 AC or 388 AX).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!