What's new

Most stable version of Merlin.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You may want to try this version instead, it includes all the fixes and upgrades but retains the range and throughput of previous versions.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18914

I have been using it for the past few days with no issues, but I would recommend to do a full reset to defaults and manually configure your router after doing the above firmware flash.

Specifically:

Unplug any USB devices.

Reboot router and wait about 5 minutes.

Flash the new firmware you want.

Configure the router manually and minimally for internet and lan access. That is, create a router password, a 2.4 and a 5GHz band ssid and passwords and optionally configure the LAN settings (if needed).

Reboot the router, wait 5 minutes and reboot the router once more. This step has helped greatly for stability in my case.

With the above complete, take a backup of your working settings (for this specific firmware) and feel free to experiment with tweaking any settings you think may improve things.

What I change is Tx power to 200mW for both bands and disabling beamforming too.

I recently flashed the latest Merlin build but I am not at all happy with the range and speed. I already downloaded the 374.43_2-02j9527 version but haven't yet flashed it when I saw this post.

Looks like I'll be flashing that first thing in the morning.

I use the fork version, The best I tried so far :-D

Skickat med Sony Z2 via Tapatalk pro

RMerlin, it looks like some of the older builds aren't there. Like the 270.26b build that is popular in this thread for the rt-n66u.

Because those builds are old and they have security issues.Use at your own risk. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'll toy with and see.

Well, just for the heck of it, I rolled back to 270.26b and it rocks my socks off. Range, signal strength and throughput are all solid, steady and maxed out in both 2.4g and 5g. Fluctuations are almost nil. And this is with multiple laptops, game platforms and cell phones....all at the same time.

I had forgotten what it was like. I miss some of the current GUI changes. I know that 270.26b is not as secure as the latest versions, so I don't know if I'll keep running it. However, for the moment it feels kinda like sticking the Prius in the garage and tooling up the coast in *(insert name of favorite classic muscle car here)...with the top down.

makes you wonder if asus nerf it so the new models look more tempting to buy.

Because those builds are old and they have security issues.Use at your own risk. :rolleyes:

Sure. But some of the builds posted have them as well. I mean, all of this is use at your own risk.

I was just indicating to Merlin that marriedgeek may not be able to get the mentioned build from the official source.

RMerlin, it looks like some of the older builds aren't there. Like the 270.26b build that is popular in this thread for the rt-n66u.

That build was ultimately removed because it's not compatible with the RT-N66U revision currently sold, and would brick your router. Use one of the SDK5 builds instead, it has the same driver, and is compatible with the latest HW revisions.

That build was ultimately removed because it's not compatible with the RT-N66U revision currently sold, and would brick your router. Use one of the SDK5 builds instead, it has the same driver, and is compatible with the latest HW revisions.

Why I have slower upload speed with this firmware? 100mbps down and only 60mbps up with fiber 100/100

While you are on that code....could you do me a favor....run the following and send me the output.

nvram show | grep 0x | grep :

And if you decide to go back to the new code, the same thing.

Just some silly wild idea I have.
Sorry to take so long getting back on this but various family issues and what not have kept me preoccupied. Frankly,I have no idea how to do what you request. Tinkering beyond my knowledge base is something I'm willing to experience but I would need detailed instructions.

That would be terrific.....

My silly idea is that those values sort of look like hardware register settings (can't tell without the Broadcom SDK)....I'm wondering if it's not the driver, but how the hardware is being configured that may be causing differences between builds. Anyway, would be interesting if they change when different builds are configured the same way.
I don't know if it matters or not but I have the B1 version N66-R, which is why the 26b did not brick my device. Because I've been up to my eyeballs in what not, I'm still running it. With all the different platforms we have, flashing and re-flashing and resetting etc. takes more time than currently available. I do wonder, however, if the N66 B1 architecture has any influence one way or the other on which firmware versions are better suited. SDK 5 or SDK 6? does one or the other work better with B1 versus newer versions? I haven't a clue but maybe someone does.

I do wonder, however, if the N66 B1 architecture has any influence one way or the other on which firmware versions are better suited. SDK 5 or SDK 6? does one or the other work better with B1 versus newer versions? I haven't a clue but maybe someone does.

I don't know, but I've never heard anyone argue SDK 6 was better on any architecture. It's always just been that the newest builds are all SDK 6, so (some) people accept it for the increased security.

On my B1 revision - an Merlin's last SDK 5 build significantly outperformed SDK 6.

I don't know, but I've never heard anyone argue SDK 6 was better on any architecture. It's always just been that the newest builds are all SDK 6, so (some) people accept it for the increased security.

On my B1 revision - an Merlin's last SDK 5 build significantly outperformed SDK 6.

SDK6 brings some things such as HW acceleration for PPPoE, which is essential for anyone with a PPPoE connection faster than 100 Mbps.

I'm assuming you are referring to 3.0.0.4_374.35_4-sdk5? Does it have any advantages over the 26b I referred to? I surmise it has the SDK 5.100 driver.

SDK6 brings some things such as HW acceleration for PPPoE, which is essential for anyone with a PPPoE connection faster than 100 Mbps.
I don't use any of the advanced features on my N66 B1. Pretty much looking for strong stable dual band wireless which the 26b delivers. Does the 374.35_4 sdk 5 build offer any advantage?

BTW, I was a lurker here ever since I got my N66R B1 and have learned a LOT from you and other forum members. Many sincere kudos and thanks for the extraordinary work you do.

I don't use any of the advanced features on my N66 B1. Pretty much looking for strong stable dual band wireless which the 26b delivers. Does the 374.35_4 sdk 5 build offer any advantage?

All the bug fixes (and other improvements) of the 9+ releases that happened between these two versions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!