What's new

Mount external USB drive from another linux system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zedigital

New Around Here
Hello,

I run Transmission on the RT-AC88U using entware-ng and an 1TB external USB disk.
On my QNAP NAS I have sickrage installed and need to mount the USB directory where Transmission saves the downloaded files.
I managed to successfuly connect to the drive in mac osx using samba, something like smb://192.168.2.1, introducing the username and password.
Any ideas on what mount command to issue to be able to mount the drive in QNAP?

when I use:
mount //192.168.2.1/ /mnt/Asus -t cifs

this is the result:
Password for admin@//192.168.2.1/:
Retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Thanks

Last edited:
Why don't you just run Transmission on the QNAP and drop the files into a shared folder there?

Seems like you're doing it the hard way...

Why don't you just run Transmission on the QNAP and drop the files into a shared folder there?

Seems like you're doing it the hard way...

I know, but I want the QNAP disks to spin down when not in use and running transmission there would not allow the spindown.
If I cannot get it to work, that is certainly a working alternative, but considering that I can map on OSX I should be able to map on QNAP as well...

If I cannot get it to work, that is certainly a working alternative, but considering that I can map on OSX I should be able to map on QNAP as well...

Just because one can, it doesn't mean a should...

If the QNAP disks are spinning already, let them spin away... and with the QNAP in place, you'll get better performance on the downloads, and you won't be loading up the Router with tasks that are better handed off to the QNAP..

Hello,

I run Transmission on the RT-AC88U using entware-ng and an 1TB external USB disk.
On my QNAP NAS I have sickrage installed and need to mount the USB directory where Transmission saves the downloaded files.
I managed to successfuly connect to the drive in mac osx using samba, something like smb://192.168.2.1, introducing the username and password.
Any ideas on what mount command to issue to be able to mount the drive in QNAP?

when I use:
mount //192.168.2.1/ /mnt/Asus -t cifs

this is the result:
Password for admin@//192.168.2.1/:
Retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Thanks

... probably not ideal, but have you tried allowing "guest login" on the "Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" tab ? .... and btw, you are right: if you could map it in mac os, no reason it would not work from your qnap ....

Last edited:
If instead you want to drop the files directly on the QNAP... this is what you can setup on the router, insert your QNAP IP address, etc.
Code:
mount -t cifs \\\\192.168.1.100\\QNAPShareName /mnt/NAS -o "username=qnapuser,password=qnappassword"

Another option is to use the AiCloud Smart Sync to sync the files over to the QNAP.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
I did manage to map the Qnap shares on the router...

Funny enough I was trying exactly mount -t cifs to mount the sda1 from the router on the Qnap but it simply did not work until I changed the naming convention on the router: Simpler share naming
(without the disk name).

just issued:
mount -t cifs //192.168.2.1/Transmission /mnt/Asus -o "user=username,password=pass"

and it connected like a charm. Thank you very much.

Thanks for your help.

Funny enough I was trying exactly mount -t cifs to mount the sda1 from the router on the Qnap but it simply did not work until I changed the naming convention on the router: Simpler share naming
(without the disk name).

just issued:
mount -t cifs //192.168.2.1/Transmission /mnt/Asus -o "user=username,password=pass"

For info, I made a few tests on my Synology system, and had the same issues as you .... and your solution works OK as well on Syno .....

Thanks for your help.

(without the disk name).

just issued:

It is working also after reboot or it should be run again?