What's new

Multi-Cast Issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Infusion

New Around Here
I have 4 devices doing routing and Switching.

Action technology vt1000 (ISP)

Port 1 of the VT1000 goes to an ASUS RT-66AC on the Wan port.

Port 2 of the VT1000 to their IPTV box

Port 3 of the VT1000 to their IPTV box

Port 4 unused

The Asus 66U port 1 goes to a Dink Gigabit Non managed 24 port switch.

Port 2 goes to a second Asus 66U which is set in AP Mode

I have the action tech set to do transparent bridging due to the IPTV boxes mist have Multicasting on.

I have a Multi-room Sound system which freezes anytime Multicasting is turned on.

I set the VT1000 to run on subnet 192.168.1.x

And the Asus connected to the Vt1000 port 1 set to use subnet 192.168.2.x

This solved my issue with the multi-channel sound amp from freezing. But what a didn't realize. . Is that transparent bridging on the action tech vt1000 has made all 4 ports transparent.

So is it possible to turn off the transparent bridging... and set the 2 Asus routers to act as A cess points but using a separate subnet.. or is there a way to keep the Multicasting from flooding the rest of the network?

I think it may be bridging ports. If you used VLANs you could bridge VLANs where needed and that would eliminate the problem. Both IP Segmentation and VLANs will prevent broadcast and multicast from going everywhere.

Excessive broadcast and multicast can interfere with somethings but a lot of networking hardware have the ability to restrict the rate and to use VLANs/IP Segmentation.

Its not transparent bridging, its just bridging the physical ports together so its like they're on the same Layer 2 network. With VLANs you would be bridging the VLANs instead of the physical ports so the router gets a VLAN (passive in your case unless ISP requirement) and the other 2 IPTVs get another VLANs. For passive VLAN this only need be done within the network box itself and not to configure on other hardware unless it is a requirement (such as for tagged VLANs). Think of VLAN as virtually wiring your network within the network gear.

When connected to the Vt1000 Wireless... my fing report shows 571 Nodes connected to an Alcatel network. And my phone is exposed to the ENTIRE Wan.

Inside my ISP router settings I enabled something that said Transparent bridging. Would love to have only 1 port (port 1 going to the Asus router) to be transparent while the other 3 to use the ISP router and form their own little network)

VLAN is something I haven't played with before. I will read more about VLAN. Thank you for your input