What's new

Multiple Access Points, Roaming, File/Printer Sharing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trainee

New Around Here
I have been searching for this and unfortunately don't have the equipment to try it out for myself yet: I have a need for 2 wireless access points/routers etc. in my home (for coverage). Its not that my home is immense, but I have put quiet rock in a number of the walls to cut down on noise transfer room to room. Regardless of what they say, the extra metal in the walls definitely reduces my wireless reception. Right now my (simplfied) setup is as follows:

[INTERNET] <--> [MODEM] <--> [ROUTER] <--> [WIFI]
\______ Computer1
\______ Computer2
\______ Networked Printer
\______ Windows Home Server​

If I wanted to enable roaming but still utilize my networked printer and home server via wifi what is my best setup? I believe they need to be on the same subnet? I have read the different cases for providing different SSIDs and channels, but my belief is that if I am connected to 1 access point and a shared resource (say the Home Server) is connected hardline to the other, then I wont be able to get to it.

I came up with 3 possible setups and I would appreciate others/comments:
  1. Connect the 2nd router to the first via the LAN ports, leaving the 2nd WAN port unconnected and the DHCP server disabled.
  2. Get a 3rd wired router and convert both wireless routers into access points (or just buy straight access points) and connect the 2 via the WAN ports to the wired router (providing DHCP).
  3. Punch all needed ports from 1 router to the other and daisy chain a LAN port from the first to the WAN port of the 2nd (this one is more hand-wavy).
I have some follow on questions, but this is my biggest overall. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!