What's new

My first NAS - plz help me

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vorphalack

New Around Here
Hi
I’m Rui
I’m new here, from the other side of Atlantic... Portugal, so if u can, plz sorry my very poor English :) ...
I’m here ask for help to buy a NAS to my home.
In the past few days I spent all my time in internet looking for the best NAS that my budget can buy (+/- 200€ which is +/- 218 USD).
Of all the reading I did I can see that QNAP AND SYNOLOGY are the only brands that ... ... (a bit short of terms:p) I should buy .
So I found this models:
QNAP
TS-231 - 199€ = 216 USD
TS-212P - 149€ = 162 USD
SYNOLOGY

DS 215J 179€ = 195 USD
216SE 154€ = 169 USD
My intentions are: a NAS to backup pc, laptops and tablets with raid 1, about 6 devices, mostly domestic stuff, one 500gb disk is full with work of my wife.
Can u bring some light to my brain please?
Talking about quality, TS 231 is really that better?
"Everybody" says that sinology OS is far better… for a newbie and not so advanced user is that a real advantage to QNAP?
Which of this four would you buy? Which has the best price\quality relation?
thinking about 2x3TB wd red... what do you say?
What about seagate NAS disks?

Sorry for a long post and so many questions.
Thank you very much in advance.

PS - Once more.... sorry for my english.
PS2 - if I posted in a wrong place.... sorry.

Hi
I’m Rui
I’m new here, from the other side of Atlantic... Portugal, so if u can, plz sorry my very poor English :) ...
I’m here ask for help to buy a NAS to my home.
In the past few days I spent all my time in internet looking for the best NAS that my budget can buy (+/- 200€ which is +/- 218 USD).
Of all the reading I did I can see that QNAP AND SYNOLOGY are the only brands that ... ... (a bit short of terms:p) I should buy .
So I found this models:
QNAP
TS-231 - 199€ = 216 USD
TS-212P - 149€ = 162 USD
SYNOLOGY

DS 215J 179€ = 195 USD
216SE 154€ = 169 USD
My intentions are: a NAS to backup pc, laptops and tablets with raid 1, about 6 devices, mostly domestic stuff, one 500gb disk is full with work of my wife.
Can u bring some light to my brain please?
Talking about quality, TS 231 is really that better?
Everybody says that sinology OS is far better… for a newbie and not so advanced user is that a real advantage to QNAP?
Which of this four would you buy? Which has the best price\quality relation?
thinking about 2x3TB wd red... what do you say?
What about seagate NAS disks?

Sorry for a long post and so many questions.
Thank you very much in advance.

PS - Once more.... sorry for my english.
PS2 - if I posted in a wrong place.... sorry.

The TS-231 is a much better buy than the older TS-212P. Dual NIC's, bigger flash memory size and slightly larger (should be quieter) fan.

QNAP is my first choice for NAS hardware. Along with WD 3TB RED hdd's.

The above with the system configured NOT in RAID is what will be a solid workhorse for you for many years.

I recommend that set up (manual) backups to hdd 1 on a weekly basis and (manual) backups to hdd 2 on a daily (if your data changes that often) or monthly basis). This gives you two sets of backups within the NAS device.

Recommend that you also buy an external hdd for (manual) backups too that are (ideally) kept off site.

Make sure that you update the os to the latest version of QTS before you start exploring your new NAS' capabilities.

I would also suggest you buy an extra 3TB WD RED as a backup to have for that 'just in case' moment too.

If you could stretch your budget to include a 4 bay NAS instead of a 2 bay, that is highly recommended even if you do not use all bays initially (but, you know you will sooner than expected).

Yes, to do a NAS properly from the ground up it becomes an expensive proposition. The end results though are worth it 'times ten'. :)

thank you very much for your quick reply.
I have to ask you something (so newbie here)
What software (free) should I use for backups? Native or some other?
Why one manual and not programed backups?
What kind of backup is best on this situation?
and why not raid1?
thank you

I like FreeFileSync for manual backups. This lets me keep multiple devices 'synced' with the NAS as I need. Programmed or automatic backups are fine (when they work), but by keeping backups in mind and using a program that lets you see which files have changed (or not) like FreeFileSync keeps me much more in the loop over my backups and whether they will work or not.

I also like the fact that the files are just files (not a huge 'backup' file that needs special 'restore' software to get to your files) and that it syncs folder changes as well as renames too.

RAID1 is an issue for a few things but what it does do is give you protection against a hdd failure. With a 4 bay or larger NAS, I usually recommend to run the NAS os (QTS for QNAP) in a RAID1 array for maximum uptime and dependability. The remaining bays are used strictly for data and backups of that same data.

The issues that RAID1 doesn't address is things like (accidental) user deletion of files, viruses and other basic file handling of the data you're trying to preserve. Separate hdd's offers you the chance to run a backup daily to one drive and weekly to another drive while also backing up each drive to the other too (not the whole drive, just the most important folders).

The best backup is the backup that gets done and gives you the easiest access to your files. :)

With FreeFileSync, you can create a backup for each of your devices which you run once a day (or as often as important files are changed) to one drive and create an additional backup that is run once a week, month, etc. You can also create a backup from one NAS drive to another too, for specific folders and depending on the capacity of the disks and limited by the size of the backups for all devices too.

This may seem more complicated than simply using an 'automatic' backup solution. But I have seen automatic backups that had stopped months and years before they were needed (but at least there was some data to be recovered) or the backup files created were corrupted and were not able to be used to restore the files (even though the backup was completed 'successfully' every night.

Look thru the screenshots of the link for FreeFileSync (or just download and install the program to understand it better). What you'll find is that you will see what files have not changed, what files have changed (and on which device) and what files have been deleted. This is the power of running it manually, you'll be able to decide if the actions the program is suggesting for your files is what you expect to be.

Trusting a program to automatically backup your files 'blindly' without checking if that backup works multiple times a month is almost as bad as not doing a backup at all. The worst that can happen (next) usually does. At the time when the worst has already happened (the device's drive dies, the data gets 'locked' by malware, theft or accidental (or intentional!) water damage (some girlfriends can be vicious!).

There's a lot of good brands out there - QNAP and Synology, but also Thecus, AsusStor, and the guys that now out ReadyNAS...

QNAP and Synology stand out here, as many folks on this board have these, and have good luck with them...

Disclosure - I have a QNAP NAS box... Synology was on the list, and very competitive feature set wise, I got a better deal at the time on the QNAP...

Your QNAP choices - the TS-231 and the TS-212P - both are good, check the features and see which best fits your needs...

I would suggest checking out the TS-251 and the TS-253A - the Intel based NAS do cost a bit more, but will likely give you better performance now, and have some headroom as your needs grow...

WD Reds are good drives - nothing wrong there - but don't hesitate to check out Seagate's options - the key thing though, is get a NAS rated drive, period - there's firmware changes compared to the generic desktops (WD Speak - Green/Black) that make those better suited for NAS service..

Make sure to have a good backup strategy - a NAS is a good place to aggregate backups of other devices, but as such, makes it even more important to include the NAS as a backup target - hardware failures, and other things (fire/theft/etc...) make that even more important...

Hi

Thank you both for so complete answers.
So many questions more to do ... but I won't :)
I always done my backup's with files, never image files.
Freefilesync is the software I'm testing with a pen connected to router.
Experience of settings, not easy for someone that is newbie in backup software.
But I have to learn auto too…. Sometimes I go out on work for weeks, if not auto, no backup.
When I’m home, until now (copy/paste)… will work better with the help of a software.
As I’m new in this, for me, freefilesync… found in the internet…. Well… thought that was the basic of basic stuff, just for me to learn, That’s why I asked about backup software.
I think I will buy 231, and if I can spend a few more € (if my wife allow :) )… I think 431 is a good solution, instead a superior NAS with the same 2 bays.
You guys trying to make my divorce, a real thing :)

thank you very much again again

Many thanks to:
Vorphalack(Rui), L&LD, sfx2000

I feel pretty lucky to have found this thread early that is so similar to my own need for advice, and also so concise and to the point.
I am of a similar opinion to Rui in as much:
“Of all the reading I did I can see that QNAP AND SYNOLOGY are the only brands that ... I should buy”
These are my thoughts also, but Rui has done more reading than me – my thanks.

I think L&LD“ brings important focus:
“The TS-231 is a much better buy than the older TS-212P. Dual NIC's, bigger flash memory size and slightly larger (should be quieter) fan.” Also: “QNAP is my first choice for NAS hardware. Along with WD 3TB RED hdd's.”

My readings also say QNAP & WD RED hhd’s are currently the way to go.

sfx2000 thinks these potential choices are ‘good’, but also says:
“I would suggest checking out the TS-251 and the TS-253A - the Intel based NAS do cost a bit more, but will likely give you better performance now, and have some headroom as your needs grow...”.

I have been looking at QNAP TS-251+ but think it’ more than I need(!?)

This tread is a real help. I have to do some work on cost, but I agree with L&LD and sfx2000, that pushing my budget now will probably save me grief & aggravation (& money) in the future. I need a NAS so must decide, will report back.

Many thanks to all.

[Final note: I’m a bit phobic about having a NAS connected to the WAN(Internet), or is that for another Thead? – all comments welcome]

I would not put a NAS on the public internet - that's just me, but there have been issues reported in the past across all vendors...

I would not put a NAS on the public internet - that's just me, but there have been issues reported in the past across all vendors...

Hi sfx2000, thanks, I agree. Me too
I’m interested in the QNAP TS-251+

Regarding security I took a looked at the QNAP OS:
QTS 4.2.1 http://files.qnap.com/news/pressresource/datasheet/QTS4.2.1(EN)_51000-023880-RS_0204.pdf

This PDF is QNAP’s press release view of their OS world, but perhaps interesting to this thread starts at page 26 of the PDF. Typically as press resource there's no real detail about encryption and use of SSL/TLS other than the normal coverall reference to AES.
"Data Security
Secure your data with six protection mechanisms.
1. Network environment protection
Connection management (black/white list)
Allow or deny specific IP addresses or subnets to connect to the NAS. This increases connection safety by creating lists of allowed and blocked IP addresses. For example, block an IP address from accessing the NAS for one hour, one day, or permanently based on the criteria that it has over five failed login attempts in the last minute.
Servers of the blocked IP will be unable to connect to the NAS. Block a user who has stayed online for too long or logged in from suspicious IPs to enhance system security further…

2. Account security and system notifications…
Two-Step Verification...
3. Protection by transmission encryption…Network transmission encryption...
4. Data encryption… Internal hard drive encryption for the entire system..."
Etc, etc...

I'm increasingly twitchy about what I can confidently (or even carefully!) connect to my LAN/Router/Wireless. It seems bad enough that IoT's lack of network security is growing so corrosive, but even the multinational technology companies seem to discover, all to often, they didn’t close the backdoor/frontdoor - or even look!?

Security is like ogre's, and ogre's have layers - like parfaits...

(someone is looking for a smart...) anyways, I'm hoping you get the point...

I'm totally cool with having a NAS inside a sandbox that I can manage and control...

Putting a NAS naked out on the internet/WAN - huge risk - there's just too many services on the NAS running, and folks outside just trying to find an edge to peel up and exploit...