What's new

N66U or Netgear R6300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dazman

Occasional Visitor
I'm running iPhones x 2, iPads x 2, PS3 x 3, laptops x 3 and Xbox x 3. At anyone time there are 8 devices on the network and my aging DIR-655 is dropping the connection 2 to three times a day.

Thoughts on the best router?

With out a doubt the N66U.

To take advantage of either router, eliminate b/g compatibility on the new router by possibly setting up the DIR-655 as an AP for those devices.

We have 6 Sony Dashes so we set the old router for this purpose

HI,
Had Netgear WNDR3700 and just switched to RT-N66U.
Key difference is openess and alternative firmware support.
Netgear is a closed shop, alternative firmwares cant match original transmit power and throughput, original firmware was abendoned over a year ago with many issues left open.

Contrast with ASUS is openess. source is released within a short timeframe and readily adapted/tweaked by RMerlin. Alternative source is also available and of excellent quality.

ASUS all the way for me.

Cheers

I'm running iPhones x 2, iPads x 2, PS3 x 3, laptops x 3 and Xbox x 3. At anyone time there are 8 devices on the network and my aging DIR-655 is dropping the connection 2 to three times a day.

Thoughts on the best router?

Did you mean RT-AC66. If not, R6300 is superior than N66U. Because it support new wifi standard AC, better than N.

No, not the AC version.

I figured the Netgear may be better than ASUS in all respects, but based on reviews ASUS seems to be on top.

Tough choice.

I tried the Netgear and switched back to Asus , the AC66U but save money
and go for the RT-N66U !

No, not the AC version.

I figured the Netgear may be better than ASUS in all respects, but based on reviews ASUS seems to be on top.

Tough choice.

If you are here in the USA, there is not much difference in price on the two. If I was buying today, I'd get the ac66u.

Well I now have the Netgear R6300 and the Asus N66U and I favor the Asus.

Speeds seem more consistent especially with the 5Ghz and the build quality just seems better.

N66U, AC66U and R6300 are all excellent (at least in AP mode). I've used and installed all 3 models. Netgear looks better if its going to sit on a shelf in a public space. That's primarily the reason I first used it, for someone not wanting to see antennas but the only location to mount wifi was in the open space of their office. For sure Asus seems to be hitting their firmware hard with updates/fixes, enhancements, etc and yes, they release source code so you have guys like Merlin enhancing it further. All great. However at the end of the day, if your needs are simple, the R6300 works well too.

Update the drivers on your laptops and check firmware for your wifi bridge (if you are using a bridge) connected to your PS3 and XBox.