What's new

Naming SSID for 2.4g & 5g

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vokmed

New Around Here
SSID name can be kept the same for 2.4g & 5g or the must be different? And if yes, is there a conflict issues might arise?

It makes no difference to the router if the SSIDs are the same or different.

See the next post down though :)

Last edited:
SSID name can be kept the same for 2.4g & 5g or the must be different? And if yes, is there a conflict issues might arise?
I vote for 'different name': Gives you the choice to select what YOU want and not what your DEVICE wants... :rolleyes:

I vote for 'different name': Gives you the choice to select what YOU want and not what your DEVICE wants... :rolleyes:

I agree. I tried it both ways and I prefer making the choice myself which devices to connect to which SSID.

You will get a lot of votes either way. I suspect more here will opt for different SSIDs as folks here love to tinker and fool with stuff constantly :) but there are several articles around that say same SSID is the way to go. Definitely easier to manage as most devices will select the best band. Well let me say that at least that's true for Apple devices and probably smart phones and tablets. Manually doing it will force users to disconnect from one and connect to the other as you determine you need to. I have same SSID on both but only Apple iDevices have 5ghz capability so they are the only ones that switch back and forth. I will say they do so very well and seem to prefer 5ghz but will def go to 2.4 when needed and back to 5ghz when that signal is better. I would say try it then if you find your devices are not behaving or you prefer to manually connect back and forth then change them to different ones. Short answer, yes you can and no, no conflicts :)

Can go either way, but generally if it is the same network, it should be the same SSID...

Makes things easier moving about - even from wireless to wired..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk