What's new

NAS access over WAN - Asus RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeziu

New Around Here
I'm struggling with access from WAN to my NAS. I have put NAS to DMZ. Has setup ddns on it. Tried also port forwarding. . As long as I'm into LAN all is working fine. However if I try to access my NAS over WAN than no chance. Any idea what else has to be done on router setup ? Already disabled NAT acceleration but it does not help. Currently has Merlin 3.0.0.4.378.50_0 firmware but it was not working on previous original version as well. Ping is working well. Any idea ?:confused:

Have you enabled administrator access over WAN?

In Administration, System.

Yes I have tried this one but no success. This option more related to access GUI of router over public internet.

That is exactly what the WAN port provides.

My aim is not to get to the router GUI over WAN. Anyway this does not work as well even if I type IP address or ddns name setup into router configuration. I want to access my NAS over WAN and this was working well with my previous ASUS RT-N56U.

Sorry and thanks for your patience - need more coffee. Access to NAS does not equal Access to router. :)

I would not have the NAS on the DMZ. You should have it behind the router.

The ddns is setup on the router or on the NAS?

Does the router show a public IP for the WAN? How are you testing, from inside your network or from a physically separate location?

I'm struggling with access from WAN to my NAS. I have put NAS to DMZ. Has setup ddns on it. Tried also port forwarding. . As long as I'm into LAN all is working fine. However if I try to access my NAS over WAN than no chance. Any idea what else has to be done on router setup ? Already disabled NAT acceleration but it does not help. Currently has Merlin 3.0.0.4.378.50_0 firmware but it was not working on previous original version as well. Ping is working well. Any idea ?:confused:

Hi,
My suggestion is, don't share your NAS publicly over the internet without the proper security measures (Unless there's nothing important inside of it).

For example in my case what I do with mine is accessing it through VPN.
i.e.:
-Configure and Enable OpenVPN server on router*
-Download VPN certificate
-Install OpenVPN on required devices (Android Mobiles, Iphone, PC's, etc)
-Install Cert and complete login with your credentials

*Under configuration you'll have an option to push LAN clients to VPN network (if not you'll have to create manually your own static routes).

with VPN all your network traffic will be encrypted, plus your NAS access will be isolated from Internet attacks.

(Sorry for my english, it's not my native language)

Exposing the NAS to the internet is not a good idea from the security point of view. You should consider again do you really need to have direct access from WAN to the NAS. You should arrange such access only if your intention is to provide access to MANY different clients. If you need to provide access only to a limited number of clients, you should consider to arrange an OpenVPN server on the router and provide access to the LAN through it. This will also eliminate the need to play with port forwarding and DMZ.

Beside, some ISPs will actually block the ports used by SMB for security purposes.

All what has been said here is true. I wanted to put my NAS into DMZ for testing purposes as port forwarding was not working. For me the important thing is to see GUI of NAS, so only port 8080 would be open. I need to stress again all was working fine before. DDNS service is setup on NAS and it works over LAN. However using outside internet I'm not able to reach my NAS. I can see WAN IP on my router. I can even reach router GUI over WAN if function is activated (Enable Web Access from WAN) but for security reason I do not want to have this active. I can configure router using UPnP directly from NAS but still no chance to see a NAS from WAN.