What's new

NAS for home network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

katpeeler

New Around Here
Hello all..Im new to the NAS game and had a couple questions...I have looked around at prices and any NAS that has good reviews are VERY expensive and maybe used for bussiness. Im looking for a NAS to use for my home network mainly to stream video media(as much as 6g movies) to TV (via PS3) and MAYBE to view away from home...What exatcly do I need to look for?? Thanx

I've used a couple items, my current nas is a Windows Home Server, and that may be a little of an overkill for what you are looking for. The other is a Synology NAS device. it has all of the build in upnp & dlna stuff for streaming to the PS3. The small home nas from synology is fairly fast.

I also had a buffalo terastation. It wasn't a bad product, but the synology is a little more feature-rich than the terastation.

we bought those & a lacie big 5 network device to eval for work, and I walked away thinking the synology is the best bang for the buck, and excellent performer compared to the others.

Thanx Ill look into the Synology...does it offer removalble drives??....I failed to mention the reason for this is that I already have a few external HD that I have filled up and was wanting something that is upgradable to 2t or more...