What's new

NAS for Plex streaming on Xbox One

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jbastian

New Around Here
Hello!

I have an Xbox One and now that it has Plex app available I would like to trash away my old HTPC with XBMC on it, to just do everything on one device (Xbox One).

My old Netgear Readynas v1 doesnt work as plex server even though it streams 1080p with HD audio just fine to my HTPC... :(

This means I need a new NAS device to store my movies and tv shows. Since Xbox understands basically every format out there (almost at least), I probably dont need any transcoding power from the nas.

So what NAS device you would recommend? My budget is probably around max. 500€ (I can go more if theres a serious gain) and of course with maximum amount of drive bays... two is enough but I would love to have four. :)
Cheaper the better of course. :D

Is any NAS with plex support enough to stream 1080p just like with XBMC?

Current ReadyNAS models are listed, if you'd like to get a new ReadyNAS. Do note though that moving to a new ReadyNAS you would need to purchase new disks and transfer the data across your network. The RAID format is different to your old ReadyNAS and the filesystem is different.

If running Plex e.g. on your PC/Mac can stream 1080p video to your Xbox One (i.e. CPU usage does not spike to high levels when streaming the video) then the 300 series e.g. 312 or 314 would be a good option.

However if you need to transcode (convert on the fly from one format to another - involves lots of CPU usage) 1080p then in the ReadyNAS line at least the 516 would be the way to go but that is above your budget.