What's new

NAS for POS System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

repo

New Around Here
I have a client who runs a small high-end jewlery shop. He is using a 1TB Linkstation Pro Duo as a central file server for a Windows POS system and a desktop. The Linkstation has a bad habit of locking up (once a week to once a month) which means he loses his cash register until someone can get there to reboot it for him. In addition to being a large central point-of-failure this is his only backup for all his business data. I don't like that I would have to take the box apart to rescue or replace a drive and reviews on restoring the RAID are poor.

I have found very little data on NAS reliablility. Is there a brand/model that has a particular reputation for high uptime? Has anyone had any long-term experience with a NAS in a business critical situation that they can share? The article "Smart SOHOs Don't Do RAID" is intriguing. Has anyone tried using 2 single NASs instead of one dual RAID and is there any way to connect them in a fail-over configuration? Any thoughts are appreciated. I want to know what I'm doing before I try to replace this!

Hi!

Wow! I am surprised with the situation you have described. I cooperate with Point of sale systems NJ. Never have I faced such problems... Luckily they give free quotes about pos systems, concerning different problems. You can contact them and try to find out the solution. I think they will help you:)
Hope it was useful for you...

I have found very little data on NAS reliablility. Is there a brand/model that has a particular reputation for high uptime? Has anyone had any long-term experience with a NAS in a business critical situation that they can share? The article "Smart SOHOs Don't Do RAID" is intriguing. Has anyone tried using 2 single NASs instead of one dual RAID and is there any way to connect them in a fail-over configuration? Any thoughts are appreciated. I want to know what I'm doing before I try to replace this!

I think my experience as below is typical of market leaders Synology and QNAP.
Synology DS212. Fairly heavily used NAS by several PCs. Configured to auto-power off from 1AM to 7AM every day.

Never had any problems or issues. It just works. I have a robust full backup scheme in place, all automated. A small business needs that, else one could lose a lot of business-vital data and tax info. I don't use RAID on my 2-drive NAS. I have two logical volumes, one per drive. Drive 2 is a time backup - revision history going back months.

NAS alone is NOT a backup.

BUT is the issue the NAS? Or the ethernet? Or the POS hardware/software? Making it work by rebooting the NAS may mean that the NAS is not at fault. But that NAS brand is not mainstream.

Last edited: