What's new

NAS recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It would be nice to be on sale, maybe in some other countries :). Now I'm researching the HDDs. The last 4 or 5 HDD I've bought, were WD Black series, only one failed in warranty, the rest are still running ok. Now I was taking a look rather to Hitachi than WD. I have as a backup a Seagate (an external HDD) but that is acting strange, some times is working, some times it doesn't.

WD Red Pro it would be another option, they have 5 years warranty.

It would be nice to be on sale, maybe in some other countries :). Now I'm researching the HDDs. The last 4 or 5 HDD I've bought, were WD Black series, only one failed in warranty, the rest are still running ok. Now I was taking a look rather to Hitachi than WD. I have as a backup a Seagate (an external HDD) but that is acting strange, some times is working, some times it doesn't.

WD Red Pro it would be another option, they have 5 years warranty.

I have the WD Red Pro's in all my units and the 5 year warranty is worth every penny. Personally, I've never been a fan of Hitachi HD's for NAS, although they are good. I'd rather buy WD Red's over Hitachi anyday. But that's just me.

I'd highly recommend getting no less than WD Red's.

I was doing a comparation here and from what I see the model with Pentium processor does not has hardware encryption engine. So in this situation I would have to go with i3 minimum.

I was doing a comparation here and from what I see the model with Pentium processor does not has hardware encryption engine. So in this situation I would have to go with i3 minimum.

That's correct. Fortunately, the i3 is not that much more. Roughly $100~

Let's refer back to your needs from your first post:

All the things in bold require CPU power. Especially running virtual machines. If you plan to have more people streaming from the NAS in the future, you'll need more power.

With the usage details you've provide, even the Pentium would suffice. I'd go with the TVS-871 or 671 with the Pentium and run that for the time being. It'll hold you over. Later down the road when you absolutely need more power, then you have the option to get the i7 to swap out your Pentium. Only then, it won't have a price tag of ~400 euros. It'll be cheaper! Much cheaper...all the CPU prices are going to drop when Skylake launches soon.

Do keep in mind...while you're deciding on the Pentium, i3 or i5 that you can always sell that to recoup the cost toward your i7 purchase, whenever that may be. Something is better than nothing. Same goes for the stock RAM....sell it. Also, the difference from the Pentium to the i3 should be roughly ~$100. The big jump is from the i3 to i5. Honestly, if you're going for the i5 right now, might as well just get the Pentium and upgrade right away yourself. That's only if you're seriously considering the i5 right now. If you can wait....just get the Pentium now and upgrade later. It's the best route.
This was a great thread, I am a big Synology user but I can confirm as well that these Atom processors are under powered for the power user so I have been looking at the QNAP for several weeks but the price for those i5 and i7 boxes are threw the roof. You have an interesting idia of purchasing the Pentium then doing the Core i5 or i7 upgrade myself will save me a ton of change, Could you please post a link for both the i5 and i7 processors that I could purchase myself that would work in the TVS-X71 series?

Thank you for your time

I've been reviewing this thread, and a bit worried about over-speccing/over-buying based on requirements...

The J1900 based NAS boxes are pretty decent for SMB/AFP/iSCSI performance on a GiGE network... whether runnning a VM directly (aka QNAP) or supporting VM's via iSCSI (QNAP, Synology, etc...)

Going to an i3/i5/i7 in a home network is completely overkill if you ask me, and even considering a small office network - money is better spent perhaps on disks and RAM, which is never enough, LOL...

I'd rather have an i7/i5 on the desktop, as that's where I work primarily - even on my travel machine, it's a dual-core i5...

FWIW - heard some commentary about Intel's low power CPU's - aka ATOM - remember, there's a couple of generations - the first gen based on Bonnell, I can understand, as well at the 32nm shrink, but the Silvermont's are pretty remarkable in the right configs... Baytrail-D/Baytrail-M, they're pretty good, and the Rangely's, depending on implementation (Synology not withstanding), they do alright as well..

This was a great thread, I am a big Synology user but I can confirm as well that these Atom processors are under powered for the power user so I have been looking at the QNAP for several weeks but the price for those i5 and i7 boxes are threw the roof. You have an interesting idia of purchasing the Pentium then doing the Core i5 or i7 upgrade myself will save me a ton of change, Could you please post a link for both the i5 and i7 processors that I could purchase myself that would work in the TVS-X71 series?

Thank you for your time

I agree, buying the i5 or i7 equipped NAS is pretty pricey and that is the reason why I've shared with the OP a solution, more importantly a solution that is possible and not a maybe.

Yes, the Atom CPU's are a big mistake as they were basically recycled (in terms of being too weak for netbooks) and thrown into NAS's in hopes to make use of them without it going to waste. You along with others (even myself as I own an Atom) validate this point in that these weaker processors are very limited.

Here are the CPU's that'll work in the TVS-x71 line...

+ Dual-core Intel Core i3-4150 3.5 GHz Processor
+ Quad-core Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0 GHz Processor (Turbo boost to 3.7 GHz)
+ Quad-core Intel Core i7-4790S 3.2 GHz (Turbo boost to 4 GHz)

* It's important to pay attention to the "S" on the model number of the i5 and i7.

Last edited:
I've been reviewing this thread, and a bit worried about over-speccing/over-buying based on requirements...

The J1900 based NAS boxes are pretty decent for SMB/AFP/iSCSI performance on a GiGE network... whether runnning a VM directly (aka QNAP) or supporting VM's via iSCSI (QNAP, Synology, etc...)

Going to an i3/i5/i7 in a home network is completely overkill if you ask me, and even considering a small office network - money is better spent perhaps on disks and RAM, which is never enough, LOL...

I'd rather have an i7/i5 on the desktop, as that's where I work primarily - even on my travel machine, it's a dual-core i5...

FWIW - heard some commentary about Intel's low power CPU's - aka ATOM - remember, there's a couple of generations - the first gen based on Bonnell, I can understand, as well at the 32nm shrink, but the Silvermont's are pretty remarkable in the right configs... Baytrail-D/Baytrail-M, they're pretty good, and the Rangely's, depending on implementation (Synology not withstanding), they do alright as well..

Based on the options available for the TVS-x71 line, I don't think it's extreme at all. The OP mentioned that he wanted, "Performance." With that being said, suggesting anything under an Intel i3 would be under-kill. I own many NAS's from the Atom to the Intel i7 and I can confirm for sure that the weaker processors will kick the bucket way before you would even expect it to.

At the end of the day, securing the future with something that is up-gradable is far more practical than having to buy another unit to meet new demands. I'll be more than happy to spend ~$200 to upgrade my TVS to an i7 in a few years than buying another ~$1500 NAS.

I agree - Intel CPU $$$$ NAS is often an overkill for SOHO/Home use.

True and I agree.

However, when someone uses the word, "Performance," along with listing their needs that require some horsepower, suggesting anything below an i3 (from my own experience) is a little over promising.

It baffles me on how some of the NAS manufacturers dare to use the word, "Performance," and "Atom or alike," in the same sentence. That is unarguably an oxymoron....what the sugary elephant ears? LOL

It's such a tragic comedy with an awfully pretty device that's seriously funny, made by someone with foolish wisdom that must have sniffed too much liquid gas.

Performance does not equal Atom or alike.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I must say I agree to disagree, Going i3/i5/i7 is not overkill if you want to run something like a Plex server on it and have it do real-time trans-coding to several devices at once, This is what I am looking for. I have several Synology Atom boxes including two of there DS-1815+ units and I can confirm your not going to be happy with the power of these boxes if you want to run Plex Media Server on it, Its awful.

I agree, buying the i5 or i7 equipped NAS is pretty pricey and that is the reason why I've shared with the OP a solution, more importantly a solution that is possible and not a maybe.

Yes, the Atom CPU's are a big mistake as they were basically recycled (in terms of being too weak for netbooks) and thrown into NAS's in hopes to make use of them without it going to waste. You along with others (even myself as I own an Atom) validate this point in that these weaker processors are very limited.

Here are the CPU's that'll work in the TVS-x71 line...

+ Dual-core Intel Core i3-4150 3.5 GHz Processor
+ Quad-core Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0 GHz Processor (Turbo boost to 3.7 GHz)
+ Quad-core Intel Core i7-4790S 3.2 GHz (Turbo boost to 4 GHz)

* It's important to pay attention to the "S" on the model number of the i5 and i7.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and most grateful for the specs on the CPU that will work with the TVS-x71 series box, Boy this sure makes it a cheap option instead of purchasing the i3/i5/i7 from QNAP.

Whether 'performance' is in the requirements a customer lists or not is not important. Getting the highest performance they can afford is what I always suggest except to the very budget conscious. The needs and demands of any equipment always goes up, never down. And most certainly doesn't stay the same over the lifetime of use.

Most people view a NAS as a big purchase (and it is, if done properly). Doing it right and doing it once is always the better path to follow in the long run.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I must say I agree to disagree, Going i3/i5/i7 is not overkill if you want to run something like a Plex server on it and have it do real-time trans-coding to several devices at once

An i3 in terms of raw CPU power isn't going to break any record there either. The important bit is to have a CPU that supports Intel's QuickSync technology. That means a Celeron might potentially be able to do just as good a job as an i3.

Beyond that, you are going to end up paying the price of a desktop PC just to get an i5-based NAS - not worth the money. Either get an actual server, or get an Atom or Celeron-based NAS, and put something like a Zotac PC next to it to host the Plex server. The total cost of such a solution will probably be less than that of an i5 or i7-based NAS.

Whether 'performance' is in the requirements a customer lists or not is not important. Getting the highest performance they can afford is what I always suggest except to the very budget conscious. The needs and demands of any equipment always goes up, never down. And most certainly doesn't stay the same over the lifetime of use.

Most people view a NAS as a big purchase (and it is, if done properly). Doing it right and doing it once is always the better path to follow in the long run.

However, since the OP has listed his needs along with wanting, "performance," it is logical to suggest options that will meet his particular demands.

Going cheap and getting something that can not meet your needs is very impractical and a waste of money in that regard. As you've stated, the needs and demands of any equipment always goes up. Precisely.

It's worth to save the extra pennies, skip out of coffee and alike to get something that will be worth while.

An i3 in terms of raw CPU power isn't going to break any record there either. The important bit is to have a CPU that supports Intel's QuickSync technology. That means a Celeron might potentially be able to do just as good a job as an i3.

Beyond that, you are going to end up paying the price of a desktop PC just to get an i5-based NAS - not worth the money. Either get an actual server, or get an Atom or Celeron-based NAS, and put something like a Zotac PC next to it to host the Plex server. The total cost of such a solution will probably be less than that of an i5 or i7-based NAS.

I would have to disagree. The i3 will walk circles around the Celeron. You have low end CPU's like the Atom, Celeron etc...then you have the higher end CPU's like the i3, i5, and i7.

To compare a Celeron to the "i" series is not practical. They are in two completely different leagues. I own several NAS's with different CPU's and know from real world experience that the weaker CPU's can not and will not handle the demands of what the "i" series can. The Quad Core Celeron 2.0GHz (J1900) is a great CPU for its respected capabilities, but it's still limited.

Think of it as a little 4 cylinder with variable valve timing. You get a lot of HP per liter, but no matter how how great it is (even if it was turboed / over clocked) you're still not going to be able to pull the boat on the trailer due to the lack of torque. The QuickSync technology is the variable valve timing. It's great...I like it....but my point is, there is a limit to how far even the J1900 can go.

Granted, most people don't need anything beyond the J1900 as it'll do a fine job for basic needs. But for those who want performance and the torque to be able to haul something without it kicking the bucket, a 4 cylinder even with variable valve timing and/or force induction will not be able to pull the weight. This is the point that I'm trying to get across about these CPU's.

Having a NAS is much more than having the ability to just transcode, although that is a big part of most peoples needs. Sure the Celeron based J1900 can get the job done, but anything beyond that the 4 banger will kick the bucket with heavy simultaneous loads. VM's, Multiple On the Fly 1080p/Original File streaming, etc...forget it...the lower end CPU's can barely handle one 1080p/original file on the fly transcoding (okay maybe 2 or even 3 which is a stretch)...try adding 5+, with VM and other stuff going on...It 'ain't' going to happen.

This is why going with the lower end (although still pretty peppy for it being a Pentium 3.2GHz Dual Core - G3250) QNAP TVS-X71 NAS and running that until you need to upgrade (to an Intel i5-4590S or i7-4790S) makes more sense than buying a weaker NAS now and having to buy another NAS in the near future.

As a side note, even the Intel 3.2GHz Dual Core (G3250) Pentium is a better choice than the Celeron 2.0GHz Quad Core in the performance category. Sure the G3250 will utilize its CPU more for the tasks that the J1900 would with using its QuickSync technology, but that is specific to the function of transcoding. In every other category except power consumption, the G3250 stomps the J1900 by at least double or triple. It is what it is.

Upgrading your CPU is much more cost efficient and makes more sense all around as the TVS line with its 10GBe capability makes it very future proof.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and most grateful for the specs on the CPU that will work with the TVS-x71 series box, Boy this sure makes it a cheap option instead of purchasing the i3/i5/i7 from QNAP.

You're very welcome. Please let me know if you need any other additional info as I'd be more than glad to help.

The CPU swap is easy. Having done it on 4 different NAS's so far, from start to finish I can complete a swap in 30 minutes. This includes removing the old thermal paste, putting on the thermal paste and reassembling the NAS back to one piece as if nothing ever happened.

I'm sharing this with you do prove that it doesn't take a rocket scientist or a tech nerd to accomplish a CPU upgrade. Don't listen to scary cats who will cry about the risks or warranty etc...it's useless to mention something that's common sense right? Of course it's going to void your warranty. What a "duh!" statement LOL..... Fear not....It's doable and it works great.

Although you can get the i5, I'd opt for the i7-4790S as it's only a little more....there are other details that I'd be happy to share with you. Just PM me with your email.

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I must say I agree to disagree, Going i3/i5/i7 is not overkill if you want to run something like a Plex server on it and have it do real-time trans-coding to several devices at once, This is what I am looking for. I have several Synology Atom boxes including two of there DS-1815+ units and I can confirm your not going to be happy with the power of these boxes if you want to run Plex Media Server on it, Its awful.

The QNAP's on Silvermont/J1800/J1900 do support QuickSync, and it also has a dedicated H.264 encoder, so plex server actually does run ok...

What I can say is the TS-453Pro does a very good job at Transcoding, and it can totally saturate a 1GB link on SMB3, even when running a VM that is on two cores...

The Synology you speak of, the DS-1815+ runs a dual core Silvermont (Rangley) at 1.7GHz - that SoC doesn't even have a GPU... it's a fine chip and the DS-1815+ is a good NAS,,,

I agree, buying the i5 or i7 equipped NAS is pretty pricey and that is the reason why I've shared with the OP a solution, more importantly a solution that is possible and not a maybe

In actuality - they're all pretty spendy - the intel based NAS boxed - they're right at the level where someone can get creative with Lenevo/HP/Dell, and get HW that exceeds - until one looks at the HW/SW integration that a NAS vendor provides...

But then one has to look at the basic needs and use-cases...

NAS's are basically the box-trucks on the computing world - truck chassis with various lengths/load capacities - put stuff in they, and they carry the freight... lots of disks and a CPU (engine) that has enough torque to fill the network pipe...

They're not a Camry/Accord, much less a muscle car (Mustang/Camaro/Challenger, etc) - those as Desktops and High Performance Laptops...

Ahhh... the stigma of the N270 based netbooks from 5 years ago... times change

Here's news... the Silvermont's are here, and they run just fine... yeah, a desktop CPU like at i3 can do a bit more - three times the cost and many more times the TDP for something that basically is just driving down the freeway at 65MPH...

Nice to brag about the horsepower perhaps, but most of it is wasted...

Remember - a NAS is a box-truck... it's not fast and furious Turbo4's with V-Tec (Yo!) and 69 Malibu's with an LS6 - that's better for the desktop/client, do you agree?