What's new

NAS with Folder/File ACL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brassmon

New Around Here
I have been researching NAS boxes for a week now and am having a hard time coming up with a NAS meeting my requirements. My main issue I am dealing with is I need ACL support on the folder and file levels. Being able to manage the permissions through windows explorer would be preferred but not absolutely necessary. Also an eSATA port and 5+ bays would be preferred as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know of any NAS that will let you set permissions at the file level, at least not without using command line root access. Folder level is not a problem.

I don't know of any NAS that will let you set permissions at the file level, at least not without using command line root access. Folder level is not a problem.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any that will allow you to set folder level without using a command line? I believe ReadyNAS does but I am not 100% sure of it.

Most all let you set folder level permissions.

Most all let you set folder level permissions.

Do you have any examples or recommendations? I know QNAP only offers share level permissions and I believe Thecus is the same. Can you confirm ReadyNAS offers folder level permissions?

Sorry, I misspoke. You are correct that NASes provide only share level permissions from the management interfaces.

No products that I know of provide setting permissions for anything below the share level from the management GUIs.

Sorry, I misspoke. You are correct that NASes provide only share level permissions from the management interfaces.

No products that I know of provide setting permissions for anything below the share level from the management GUIs.

What about changing permission settings from windows explorer? I don't necessarily need to use the GUI. I just need some way of changing the folder permissions below the share level.

What about changing permission settings from windows explorer? I don't necessarily need to use the GUI. I just need some way of changing the folder permissions below the share level.
That's an interesting thought. Frankly, I haven't tried that. I might be able to run a few quick experiments and report back.

That's an interesting thought. Frankly, I haven't tried that. I might be able to run a few quick experiments and report back.

I have been told that ReadyNAS Pro can change some permissions in windows explorer. I believe it is limited to read, write and deny. However before I purchase two of them I want to guarantee those permissions can be changed on a folder level. I really appreciate your help. I have had a difficult time figuring out which NAS will work properly as a new file server for our business. The QNAP TS-509's we currently have for user backups will not serve our purpose because we can not change the folder permissions.

The QNAP TS-509's we currently have for user backups will not serve our purpose because we can not change the folder permissions.
That looks like it answers the QNAP question.

From XP Pro I was able to add user nobody on a ReadyNAS NV+ folder below a network share (see image), using the Windows folder properties. I had to enter the admin username and password for the ReadyNAS in an authentication pop-up in order to make the change. Note that this isn't a real user on the ReadyNAS, so I didn't test the access control.

I wasn't able to do this on a QNAP TS109.

Before you make the ReadyNAS buy, I'd check over in the ReadyNAS forums.

Good luck,

Attachments

• foldermod.png
    foldermod.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 335