What's new

NAS with network attached printer sharing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fuzzdude

New Around Here
Hi all,

Just putting this out there. Does any one know of a NAS type device that can also share/host network connected printers via TCP ports. Also one with a DHCP server would be a plus...

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Not sure that I completely understand what you are asking. You want to share a network printer over the network? Wouldn't the network printer already be available on the network?

I think I am confused on this one...

00Roush

Sorry let me try to clarify my question :p

I looking for a NAS type device that, I guess, could host the printer/printer drivers on the unit and Windows clients can just map to printer via the NAS type device using a UNC path (e.g. \\nasdevice\printername). This way the Windows clients do not need to install the drivers and setup the TCP/IP ports locally on their PCs.

Last edited:
I think I understand but I believe either way the clients will have to have printer drivers installed. It might be a little easier to deploy as once you have the drivers installed on the server as all of the clients would the then download the drivers from the server.

So if that is the case I don't think any of the linux based NAS units will work as printer support in linux is usually very basic if at all. Really not even sure if the WHS NAS units allow printer drivers to be installed or not. My thought is that for something like this you might have to build your own NAS with Windows on it to get it to work correctly. Just my opinion though.

00Roush

Thanks mate. I know it is asking for a bit much... :p

I'm trying not to go via windows/server route for a small remote site with 15-20 users. Microsoft cost too much $$$. And a Server/linux wouldn't go down well with the current support staff.

Hopefully one day, some one will make a netbook version of a server

I thought of doing it but it has no RAID and windows XP only allows 10 concurrent connections. Also comes with XP home and can't join it to domain without doing a few hacks.

RAID isn't really essential.
You could always load Ubuntu server on it...