What's new

Need Asus RTn66u to work with Arris TG1672 MOCA modem router - both routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yardie

New Around Here
My cable company has upgraded my service and issued a new Arris TG1672 modem router providing telephone, internet and MOCA service for my tv set top boxes (STB). I also have an Asus RT-n66u router that worked great with my previous modem – fully updated with Asus WRT

The Arris has a weaker wireless network and I need the following additional services from my network; guest network, print server, port triggering to serve 2 Xboxes (DMZ can only handle 1 IP address – I use triggering to handle any number of IP addresses) NAS to a WD My Cloud device. Eventually I will need to VPN into the house. The Asus does all this so I need it back as my primary router. I don’t know if I need or use any NAT translation. The Xbox says my NAT is “moderate” – I want it open – all Xbox Live ports were forwarded on the Asus – mystified then, clueless now.

I bridged the Arris to work as a modem, but I lost MOCA service for my STBs which meant no video on demand, TVR and one of them even lost the channel guide. Then the cable company reset or flashed the Arris from their end. This wiped all my settings and turned it back into a router. Obviously it made the Asus stop working.

I need a way to have the Asus do *my* routing (Xbox, NAS etc) but leaving the Arris to do routing for the STBs so the cable co can do as they please. Ie two routers cascaded like the rest of the internet

I am willing to put the Asus in the Arris DMZ with a fixed IP as it has its own firewall but when I tried this it did not work. NB I put Google’s DNS servers in the Asus. I just read somewhere that I should set the first router (Arris) as the DNS for the second (Asus).

I am not trained in networking but I can help myself. Thanks for any assistance

Double NAT your ASUS behind your Arris. Assign the ASUS a static WAN IP in the Arris subnet, then set the LAN. IP and DHCP range to another different subnet. Connect a cable from a LAN port on the Arris to the WAN PORT on the ASUS and you will be good to go.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk