What's new

Need help remote connecting windows phone to router VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GKL1520

Occasional Visitor
Okay, first let me say any ideas are appreciated, but from my research so far the solution I need might be a real challenge for anyone, even the very tech savvy !

Let me first tell you what I am trying to do and the equipment I am trying to do it with.

All I want to do is to have just one ip network security camera on my home LAN that we can view remotely with our windows phones when we are away from our home WIFI and need to use our data plan. Sounds simple right ?, but further down you'll see what obstacles I am running into !

Here is our equipment:

Windows Phones: Nokia Lumia 1520 and Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE (both running Windows mobile 8.1)

VPN Router: ASUS RT-ACRH13 https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-ACRH13/specifications/

IP Camera: HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10508_i7593.html

The easy and simple solution would be if there was a windows phone client for OpenVPN but as far as I know there is not any yet.

Now (unless I'm mistaken) I'm finding out the windows phones vpn option "L2TP over IPsec" requires the vpn router to have a "L2TP over IPsec" server and it seems consumer class vpn routers only have OpenVPN servers which windows phones can't connect to and the business class vpn routers that do have a "L2TP over IPsec" server are way too expensive (over $200 and up) for the average home user on a budget and especially for me being retired on social security.

I have been asking for help on an ip camera forum but so far the only safe solutions offered were switching to android phones (not an option as our windows phones are fairly new) or getting a very expensive business class router, also not an option being on a budget on social security.

The other options that would work other than what I just mentioned were said to be very unsafe security-wise, and that is either port forwarding or using Hikvision P2P camera viewing service.

I'm somewhat tech savvy in general, but ip cameras and VPN is a new area for me and I'm quickly finding out the tech industry does not make it easy when it comes to compatibility options with windows phones.

It would be very much appreciated if any network savvy techs could look at my router specs at the link above and offer any other solution for having a working VPN connection to our Windows phones so we can remotely view our security camera thru data when we are away from our home WIFI.

Thanks !

Gary

GKL1520, Gary, We have a few Lumia 640s we sbought for cameras when they sold out for $25 last year, and one is running win10 mobile and active. This a a question, that's going to take someone with more Win/vpn know how than I, but I remembered seeing this for win 8.1 mobile a while back: https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-windows-phone-8-1-with-l2tp/

Since MS has officially killed of the Lumia line and all future support, this might be a start for you. Your router is a nice lower priced Asus, but is a bit difficult to work with since there's no FW except for the official Asus build (ie, RMerlin FW) that will let you do extensive routing work. I almost bought one last year stricly as an AP for one of the kids. Never mind that, I'm never one to say it can't be done. Idle thought, but openvpn connect sets up easily on any inexpensive android phone, even the sub-$75 dollar models,which would be an easier way to go at this, since all the VPNs are phasing out the less able encryption schemes.

I wish I could offer better advice. With watching your home cameras for property and family, I'd opt for a solution with openvpn, it's the security aspect of being able to monitor using better encryptiong, that the Lumia never did or will offer. You're a braver bloke than I; even Uncle Billy went with an android, but then he likely has no lack of IT assistance for his toys; comes with being the world's richest ex-MS founder-CEO:)! Good luck, glad you can keep your Lumias going; it's only my opinion that the inability to utilize openvpn ruined them. Cheers.

GKL1520, Gary, We have a few Lumia 640s we sbought for cameras when they sold out for $25 last year, and one is running win10 mobile and active. This a a question, that's going to take someone with more Win/vpn know how than I, but I remembered seeing this for win 8.1 mobile a while back: https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-windows-phone-8-1-with-l2tp/

Since MS has officially killed of the Lumia line and all future support, this might be a start for you. Your router is a nice lower priced Asus, but is a bit difficult to work with since there's no FW except for the official Asus build (ie, RMerlin FW) that will let you do extensive routing work. I almost bought one last year stricly as an AP for one of the kids. Never mind that, I'm never one to say it can't be done. Idle thought, but openvpn connect sets up easily on any inexpensive android phone, even the sub-$75 dollar models,which would be an easier way to go at this, since all the VPNs are phasing out the less able encryption schemes.

I wish I could offer better advice. With watching your home cameras for property and family, I'd opt for a solution with openvpn, it's the security aspect of being able to monitor using better encryptiong, that the Lumia never did or will offer. You're a braver bloke than I; even Uncle Billy went with an android, but then he likely has no lack of IT assistance for his toys; comes with being the world's richest ex-MS founder-CEO:)! Good luck, glad you can keep your Lumias going; it's only my opinion that the inability to utilize openvpn ruined them. Cheers.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply and ideas !

Yep, as much as my wife and I love our windows phones we might be forced to go back to android in the future, but not for a while because our windows phones are still fairly new, so I'll have to consider all the possible solutions everyone shares and decide which will work best for us.

I have been asking for possible solutions on several different forums and a person on an ip camera forum who uses a windows phone to connect to his ip camera shared what he did, here is part of what he said:

"I use a simple PPTP connection to connect to my netgear 3700 router..... Think it is a pretty standard setup. It is a bit slow over PPTP and I usually go to the substream to view data but I can play back what is stored on the storage card from iVMS.(4500)" (end of quote)

So even though I would prefer using VPN, if that is not possible then maybe PPTP might be the next best option, it's not as secure as VPN, but should be more secure than port forwarding from what I read.

No ranting, since this I seldom opine about security. Your phone specs peaked my interest, so few of us still use or like Lumias. Truthfully, PPTP isn't much better than doing without encryption. You're wise to get all the professional opinions you can, before you settle for anyones advice, if security is at stake. Years ago, network guys routinely watched customer traffic in the office, in the name of providing customer service quality, and still do. ISPs can watch it with you, unless it goes via L2TP or openvpn. They have extremely good 'technical means' at their disposal, and they don't have warrants. The gent on the camera forum is right; PPTP is insanely easy to set up (hack into) and doesn't need very stiff routing requirements. It was hacked at roughly the time it was released and is finally being put out of our misery. Your router may support L2TP/IPSEC; its the lowest commonly available method in wide use. Please, read and research your fine manual or go to Asus for details.

Holiday sales can fetch you a -much- more powerful router for less than your current router sold for new. You can keep and use your current model for an extender or wireless AP and will have a spare; always wise. I haven't looked at that model lately, Asus secured their FW at the same time that came on the market in the US. No matter how easy PPTP is to set up, secure it isn't. I've nothing to sell, and am leary, or at least extremely skeptical of any advice that places home security video feeds at risk. You did mention security?

If the security feeds of your home or family being beamed to your phones, aren't viewed in real-time by a bunch of bearded dudes drinking vodka in the Urals (they can do that), then they are recorded by natl security, supposedly for our security (ROFL). Your feeds may be lost in the billions of IPs and roaring internet noise, and if so you'll probably be safe,but would almost bet your wife would think the idea crawls. A few VPNs support/provide a windows phone 10 mobile client app for only a few bucks a month. Ironically, Lumia phone streams well enough for facebook for Viber.

The fellow on the camera forum is right; PPTP is insanely easy to set up and was hacked since release. Am skeptical of any networking advice that offers ease of setup over customer security. MS geared it to corporate VPN departments, which left most people who wanted security, high and dry. Pay no mind to the old man behind the curtain. Apple's iphone and encrypted clouds couldn't save those hollywood kittens who uploaded private photos thinking no one would ever see them, poor passwords were supposedly their downfall. Win10 mobile won't be killed off for a while, and can do things that win 8.1 can't. If you rig your system to notify you, or just want to check the feeds from time to time when away, a VPN L2TP client app is cheap insurance. Viber still works well enough with our 640 until the battery dies after an hour. If your home camera light specs are good, it may get you by. If security is in your future, consider L2TP and a TB of cloud backup with Amazon or Apple, getting very economical and you can erase it. Now: if any of this is for checking up on kids or babysitters, please, don't skimp. Going back behind the curtain. Good luck

Last edited:
No ranting, since this I seldom opine about security. Your phone specs peaked my interest, so few of us still use or like Lumias. Truthfully, PPTP isn't much better than doing without encryption. You're wise to get all the professional opinions you can, before you settle for anyones advice, if security is at stake. Years ago, network guys routinely watched customer traffic in the office, in the name of providing customer service quality, and still do. ISPs can watch it with you, unless it goes via L2TP or openvpn. They have extremely good 'technical means' at their disposal, and they don't have warrants. The gent on the camera forum is right; PPTP is insanely easy to set up (hack into) and doesn't need very stiff routing requirements. It was hacked at roughly the time it was released and is finally being put out of our misery. Your router may support L2TP/IPSEC; its the lowest commonly available method in wide use. Please, read and research your fine manual or go to Asus for details.

Holiday sales can fetch you a -much- more powerful router for less than your current router sold for new. You can keep and use your current model for an extender or wireless AP and will have a spare; always wise. I haven't looked at that model lately, Asus secured their FW at the same time that came on the market in the US. No matter how easy PPTP is to set up, secure it isn't. I've nothing to sell, and am leary, or at least extremely skeptical of any advice that places home security video feeds at risk. You did mention security?

If the security feeds of your home or family being beamed to your phones, aren't viewed in real-time by a bunch of bearded dudes drinking vodka in the Urals (they can do that), then they are recorded by natl security, supposedly for our security (ROFL). Your feeds may be lost in the billions of IPs and roaring internet noise, and if so you'll probably be safe,but would almost bet your wife would think the idea crawls. A few VPNs support/provide a windows phone 10 mobile client app for only a few bucks a month. Ironically, Lumia phone streams well enough for facebook for Viber.

The fellow on the camera forum is right; PPTP is insanely easy to set up and was hacked since release. Am skeptical of any networking advice that offers ease of setup over customer security. MS geared it to corporate VPN departments, which left most people who wanted security, high and dry. Pay no mind to the old man behind the curtain. Apple's iphone and encrypted clouds couldn't save those hollywood kittens who uploaded private photos thinking no one would ever see them, poor passwords were supposedly their downfall. Win10 mobile won't be killed off for a while, and can do things that win 8.1 can't. If you rig your system to notify you, or just want to check the feeds from time to time when away, a VPN L2TP client app is cheap insurance. Viber still works well enough with our 640 until the battery dies after an hour. If your home camera light specs are good, it may get you by. If security is in your future, consider L2TP and a TB of cloud backup with Amazon or Apple, getting very economical and you can erase it. Now: if any of this is for checking up on kids or babysitters, please, don't skimp. Going back behind the curtain. Good luck

Thanks for taking the time to explain things so thoroughly !

I agree the ideal solution is to get a router that has a L2TP server, but I'm retired on social security and the cheapest one I found so far that definitely has that is about $230 - https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/VPN-Firewall-USG20-VPN-USG20W-VPN/ way out of my budget for now.

I saw one that MIGHT have a L2TP server for about $70 but I am not sure - http://www.uttglobal.com/default.asp?id=3460

Now remember, this VPN stuff is new to me, but is it possible to securely use my current router - https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-ACRH13/specifications/ and somehow still securely connect to the "L2TP with IPsec" client on my windows phone using software on my computer from here - https://www.softether.org/ and here is another page - https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-...P////IPsec_VPN_Server_on_SoftEther_VPN_Server

GKL1520, except for the FAQ page with spec listings for your router, the manual is not specific, that I could see. Asus isn't known for succinct instructions or how-tos, and no one has posted trying to do what you want with yours. When someone asked Merlin if he was going to support your model, he declined, which killed interest for many. It makes a nice AP though. Here's the hardware specs on yours: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-ACRH13

-IF- your router does have an L2TP client/server buried somewhere in the GUI, then check the few VPNs who have windows apps they may help you set up L2TP on your router and win phone, but only if they support their client. Read their fourms, some have brief, free trial periods. You can get 1/2 off if you pay for a yearly subscription that usually covers all your clients, with unlimited bandwidth. If your router's Asus spec page was hype, not factual, you have research ahead of you. You'll have to become your own IT staff on the subject, and as you've discovered, it's time consuming. Anything else gets much more expensive, even if you have a trusted associate/friend/neighbor who knows the subject. Many folks start learning as you are. Once you learn to ride the bike, you're set for life.

The Asus FAQ page listed an L2TP Pass-through, PPTP and OpenVPN client and server. I could find details when I went through the fine manual that I speed-read, no trace of an L2TP tab in the GUI. That could be a marketing mistake. Try to hang in there, don't give up. Watch youtube videos and ask your search engine simple, specific questions. DO Log in to your router GUI and carefully examine every tab detail as you read the manual. From mid-Nov to mid-Dec, great deals, from $100-$150, can be had; be sure the router you choose, has a dual core CPU, plenty of RAM, and can be upgraded with regular security fixes, such as Merlins fork. He lists the models he covers on his page.

We upgraded to the RT-AC3200 and have been happy with it. we're retired on SS/disability, and know it's not easy to get by. The AC3200 was on sale last December for $178. When you upgrade your router with security/firmware fixes, you'll have to be able to configure it; always save your previous settings to a file on your computer. The Asus wireless and Merlin forums are a trove of knowledge waiting for you. Most of the time, folks will try to help if you're truly stuck. There are resident wizards but everyone is expected to learn/read/research before posting when they're stumped.

Don't get a no-name router with only 9 reviews on Amazon. 'Verified purchaser' reviews are often misleading, you can get burned if you're not familiar with the system. Marketing specs don't mean anything if there are are no user-friendly router forums where you can lurk/read/learn. When you're stuck on an overseas 800-call for several hours, (if anyone answers) you'll be listening to someone who barely understands/speaks your language, and will quickly develop buyer's remorse. All Asus models above the RT-AC56 have dual-core CPUs and are easy to update. Official FW builds from other companies are much slower, leaving you unprotected. Merlin's firmware fixes all known Asus bugs, much quicker than Asus can, and doesn't change the Asus GUI. Critical vulnerabilties are a way of life; you're in charge of IT when it comes to your router. When you're first learning the ropes, it can be daunting. There are many good, easy to follow router tutorials on VPN sites.

Regardless, someday no matter your precautions, someone will breach your system. It happens to everyone so be prepared with a more capable router you can update regularly. Fair disclosure, I don't work for any of these folks, nor do I buy their stock.

Dig deep, learn to use the Amazon system, look at many different sellers; like everywhere, some reviews are fake. If Amazon sells and fulfills your router order, you get a 30-day DOA/no-quibble return policy in addition to the manufacturer's warranty. Not all third party vendors honor the Prime policy and you can get daily deals or with a coupon. Last, you can look at Newegg.com. I used to buy there, referred many customers, but they've had serious policy, trust and legal questions arise.

Look at the ASUS AC1750, about $90. You can get an Asus RT-AC68 for only a bit more. The RT-AC56 also usually sells for around $90 but is getting older. There's also an exception to this 'always buy new/never refurbished/recertified' rule; the T-Mobile (TMAC-1900) is a re-branded ASUS RT-AC68. Sometimes these are sold and fulfilled by Amazon but mostly third party vendors; it's hard to beat the $50-60 price tag, as long as it's not a returned customer remorse case. TMobile bought a boatload of these and made provisions in the FW so that Tmobile wireless customers could use them as home wi-fi cell-spot routers, There are many threads on the forums and elsewhere about this. It's possible to convert this TM/Asus rebranded router to Merlin firmware, but beware. Only attempt this if you're confident you can follow specific, tedious instructions. If you aren't successful in converting to regular Asus/Merlin FW, the TMobile unit will revert to Tmobile FW then lock out future attempts. Personally, I'd run the Tmobile FW as-is for your purposes and you'd probably be happy with it. It comes with L2TP/Openvpn client/server. These are usually sold as recertified/refurbished, since TM dumped them, and they can't be resold as an Asus. Steer clear of customer returns which can represent a botched conversion attempt. TMobile provided one firmware update last year. The official Asus RT-AC68 sells for $121-$140 or less and is very popular. The RT-AC87U and it's kin are only 30-40 more.

I've no experience with Util or Zyxel units. Zyxel are plentiful, but aren't as capable as Asus, IMO. I've owned several more expensive Netgear models that are good, but their service and warranty replacement are absolutely abysmal. For that reason I no longer buy them. Rule of thumb; off-brands with no happy user forum are best avoided. The expensive Microtik and Cisco brands are overkill for your purpose. Tplink is inexpensive, with non-existent customer service.

Softether VPN is only a few years old, highly technical, but may someday replace Openvpn. It's owned by the Japanese/university where it was developed. Very few VPNs support it. Perhaps someone knows it, and will help rig it on your phone and video system for a fee. A few bucks per month for a supporting app will avoid lots of grief later. It's a steep learning curve you get for no-fee freedom. I haven't found anything posted anywhere that states softether can be run on a windows phone without VPN vendor support. Hope this was of some use and good luck.

Last edited:
GKL1520, except for the FAQ page with spec listings for your router, the manual is not specific, that I could see. Asus isn't known for succinct instructions or how-tos, and no one has posted trying to do what you want with yours. When someone asked Merlin if he was going to support your model, he declined, which killed interest for many. It makes a nice AP though. Here's the hardware specs on yours: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-ACRH13

-IF- your router does have an L2TP client/server buried somewhere in the GUI, then check the few VPNs who have windows apps they may help you set up L2TP on your router and win phone, but only if they support their client. Read their fourms, some have brief, free trial periods. You can get 1/2 off if you pay for a yearly subscription that usually covers all your clients, with unlimited bandwidth. If your router's Asus spec page was hype, not factual, you have research ahead of you. You'll have to become your own IT staff on the subject, and as you've discovered, it's time consuming. Anything else gets much more expensive, even if you have a trusted associate/friend/neighbor who knows the subject. Many folks start learning as you are. Once you learn to ride the bike, you're set for life.

The Asus FAQ page listed an L2TP Pass-through, PPTP and OpenVPN client and server. I could find details when I went through the fine manual that I speed-read, no trace of an L2TP tab in the GUI. That could be a marketing mistake. Try to hang in there, don't give up. Watch youtube videos and ask your search engine simple, specific questions. DO Log in to your router GUI and carefully examine every tab detail as you read the manual. From mid-Nov to mid-Dec, great deals, from $100-$150, can be had; be sure the router you choose, has a dual core CPU, plenty of RAM, and can be upgraded with regular security fixes, such as Merlins fork. He lists the models he covers on his page.

We upgraded to the RT-AC3200 and have been happy with it. we're retired on SS/disability, and know it's not easy to get by. The AC3200 was on sale last December for $178. When you upgrade your router with security/firmware fixes, you'll have to be able to configure it; always save your previous settings to a file on your computer. The Asus wireless and Merlin forums are a trove of knowledge waiting for you. Most of the time, folks will try to help if you're truly stuck. There are resident wizards but everyone is expected to learn/read/research before posting when they're stumped.

Don't get a no-name router with only 9 reviews on Amazon. 'Verified purchaser' reviews are often misleading, you can get burned if you're not familiar with the system. Marketing specs don't mean anything if there are are no user-friendly router forums where you can lurk/read/learn. When you're stuck on an overseas 800-call for several hours, (if anyone answers) you'll be listening to someone who barely understands/speaks your language, and will quickly develop buyer's remorse. All Asus models above the RT-AC56 have dual-core CPUs and are easy to update. Official FW builds from other companies are much slower, leaving you unprotected. Merlin's firmware fixes all known Asus bugs, much quicker than Asus can, and doesn't change the Asus GUI. Critical vulnerabilties are a way of life; you're in charge of IT when it comes to your router. When you're first learning the ropes, it can be daunting. There are many good, easy to follow router tutorials on VPN sites.

Regardless, someday no matter your precautions, someone will breach your system. It happens to everyone so be prepared with a more capable router you can update regularly. Fair disclosure, I don't work for any of these folks, nor do I buy their stock.

Dig deep, learn to use the Amazon system, look at many different sellers; like everywhere, some reviews are fake. If Amazon sells and fulfills your router order, you get a 30-day DOA/no-quibble return policy in addition to the manufacturer's warranty. Not all third party vendors honor the Prime policy and you can get daily deals or with a coupon. Last, you can look at Newegg.com. I used to buy there, referred many customers, but they've had serious policy, trust and legal questions arise.

Look at the ASUS AC1750, about $90. You can get an Asus RT-AC68 for only a bit more. The RT-AC56 also usually sells for around $90 but is getting older. There's also an exception to this 'always buy new/never refurbished/recertified' rule; the T-Mobile (TMAC-1900) is a re-branded ASUS RT-AC68. Sometimes these are sold and fulfilled by Amazon but mostly third party vendors; it's hard to beat the $50-60 price tag, as long as it's not a returned customer remorse case. TMobile bought a boatload of these and made provisions in the FW so that Tmobile wireless customers could use them as home wi-fi cell-spot routers, There are many threads on the forums and elsewhere about this. It's possible to convert this TM/Asus rebranded router to Merlin firmware, but beware. Only attempt this if you're confident you can follow specific, tedious instructions. If you aren't successful in converting to regular Asus/Merlin FW, the TMobile unit will revert to Tmobile FW then lock out future attempts. Personally, I'd run the Tmobile FW as-is for your purposes and you'd probably be happy with it. It comes with L2TP/Openvpn client/server. These are usually sold as recertified/refurbished, since TM dumped them, and they can't be resold as an Asus. Steer clear of customer returns which can represent a botched conversion attempt. TMobile provided one firmware update last year. The official Asus RT-AC68 sells for $121-$140 or less and is very popular. The RT-AC87U and it's kin are only 30-40 more.

I've no experience with Util or Zyxel units. Zyxel are plentiful, but aren't as capable as Asus, IMO. I've owned several more expensive Netgear models that are good, but their service and warranty replacement are absolutely abysmal. For that reason I no longer buy them. Rule of thumb; off-brands with no happy user forum are best avoided. The expensive Microtik and Cisco brands are overkill for your purpose. Tplink is inexpensive, with non-existent customer service.

Softether VPN is only a few years old, highly technical, but may someday replace Openvpn. It's owned by the Japanese/university where it was developed. Very few VPNs support it. Perhaps someone knows it, and will help rig it on your phone and video system for a fee. A few bucks per month for a supporting app will avoid lots of grief later. It's a steep learning curve you get for no-fee freedom. I haven't found anything posted anywhere that states softether can be run on a windows phone without VPN vendor support. Hope this was of some use and good luck.

Wow, you really go the extra mile in taking the time to write out detailed ideas, it is appreciated and I save the info to refer back to as needed. I appreciated that you understand being on a budget, I'd have no problem buying a business class router with a L2TP Server if we weren't on a budget.

As far as the routers you mentioned they all only seem to have L2TP as a Pass-Through and not an actual L2TP Server, which seems to be what I would need in a router to connect to a windows phone without anything else involved.

I just joined the Softether forum and searched the forum and it does seem some people with windows phones were able to get it to work, and it doesn't seem like is any monthly fee involved, I am researching it further to be sure how to set it up the right way.

I'm new at this so I could be wrong, but I am guessing that the Softether software that you download on your computer works as an L2TP server so I can have a connection between my home network and the L2TP client on my windows phone.

Here is a link to a Softether forum page and the link it shared, it will likely be easier for you to understand it more quickly than me, I'll have to study it for a while :confused:

http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24328&p=54841#p54841

https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-...P////IPsec_VPN_Server_on_SoftEther_VPN_Server

Thanks again !

Gary

Didn't actually intend going on so, but if it helps, then you're welcome. As granny used to say, pass it forward if you can. The Asus routers I listed, do have the client and server capability, not only as pass-through. I've used pass-through for years, but Asus didn't have much luck getting actual clients working in the routers, until Merlin came along.

All of those routers will run two openvpn configs in the router using Merlin's firmware; if Asus has openvpnclient tabs listed in the router manual, it will run the clients. If it's not in the actual Asus manual, you have to look in the forum or on VPN setup sites to be sure. Until this past year, the Asus builds, with Merlin had 4 or 5 openvpn config tabs for VPN provider clients, but you can't run two clients from the same provider. All of the routers always have pass-through, like yours. There are now also seperate PPTP and L2TP clients that are configurable in the routers with Merlins FW; again, this isn't pass-through. If you use place a config in your phone, tablet or computer to run out to a VPN over your wi-fi, instead of using the router, it 'passes through' the router. It was a bit disappointing Asus didn't include this capability in your router, but the chip in yours really isn't able to hadnle the load, and the memory is too low.

Had a thought; f you had a spare, or picked up an older PC, as long as it will run win 7 or linux, you can use it as as a video server, to use with softether or what have you, as VPN client on that, passing the video through your router to your phones. Lots of old HP SFF PCs or workstations that are cheap and can be rehabbed for peanuts. I really took a hard look at Softether, but since it's not in my plans, I really do have to limit what I can get into. I've pushed as far as I can with this, so good luck sir.

Didn't actually intend going on so, but if it helps, then you're welcome. As granny used to say, pass it forward if you can. The Asus routers I listed, do have the client and server capability, not only as pass-through. I've used pass-through for years, but Asus didn't have much luck getting actual clients working in the routers, until Merlin came along.

All of those routers will run two openvpn configs in the router using Merlin's firmware; if Asus has openvpnclient tabs listed in the router manual, it will run the clients. If it's not in the actual Asus manual, you have to look in the forum or on VPN setup sites to be sure. Until this past year, the Asus builds, with Merlin had 4 or 5 openvpn config tabs for VPN provider clients, but you can't run two clients from the same provider. All of the routers always have pass-through, like yours. There are now also seperate PPTP and L2TP clients that are configurable in the routers with Merlins FW; again, this isn't pass-through. If you use place a config in your phone, tablet or computer to run out to a VPN over your wi-fi, instead of using the router, it 'passes through' the router. It was a bit disappointing Asus didn't include this capability in your router, but the chip in yours really isn't able to hadnle the load, and the memory is too low.

Had a thought; f you had a spare, or picked up an older PC, as long as it will run win 7 or linux, you can use it as as a video server, to use with softether or what have you, as VPN client on that, passing the video through your router to your phones. Lots of old HP SFF PCs or workstations that are cheap and can be rehabbed for peanuts. I really took a hard look at Softether, but since it's not in my plans, I really do have to limit what I can get into. I've pushed as far as I can with this, so good luck sir.

Thanks for all you have shared, I think I'm close to the point now of actually trying and seeing what works, I downloaded Softether on the laptop I use but will study more before I actually try to set up the connection.

Thanks again !

Thanks for taking the time to explain things so thoroughly !

I agree the ideal solution is to get a router that has a L2TP server, but I'm retired on social security and the cheapest one I found so far that definitely has that is about $230 - https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/VPN-Firewall-USG20-VPN-USG20W-VPN/ way out of my budget for now.

I saw one that MIGHT have a L2TP server for about $70 but I am not sure - http://www.uttglobal.com/default.asp?id=3460

Now remember, this VPN stuff is new to me, but is it possible to securely use my current router - https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-ACRH13/specifications/ and somehow still securely connect to the "L2TP with IPsec" client on my windows phone using software on my computer from here - https://www.softether.org/ and here is another page - https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto/9.L2TPIPsec_Setup_Guide_for_SoftEther_VPN_Server/1.Setup_L2TP////IPsec_VPN_Server_on_SoftEther_VPN_Server

Gary,

You might consider adding a cheap VPN router to your network: ($58) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZMXE66/?tag=snbforums-20

Looks like it supports IPsec/PPTP/L2TP, so should work with your phone.

Gary,

You might consider adding a cheap VPN router to your network: ($58) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZMXE66/?tag=snbforums-20

Looks like it supports IPsec/PPTP/L2TP, so should work with your phone.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply and suggestion !

I checked the specs on that router and even though it will allow L2TP pass-through (like my current router), it doesn't have an actual L2TP server, otherwise it would had been a great bargain !

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/produ...ess-n-vpn-firewall/data_sheet_c78-660141.html

The solution I'm trying to see if I can get to work now is using the free open source Softether software that can work on your computer as a L2TP server. I'm new at this stuff so it's slow going trying to figure out all the right settings, but others had used it successfully so I just have to educate myself on this stuff o_O

https://www.softether.org/

https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-...P////IPsec_VPN_Server_on_SoftEther_VPN_Server

Thanks again, being new at this I appreciate any and all suggestions !

Gary

GKL1520, hows Softether treating you?

Thanks for asking !

Well, hopefully I'll know by later today, there was a member on another forum who successfully has a connection between his windows phone and the Softether VPN and he shared screenshots of his set up for Softether as well as the router settings and I saw several settings I had wrong as well as not having a Softether bridge set up.

I made those changes and tried connecting on my phone but it said "connection failed" so I am waiting to hear back from him to see what settings I might have wrong in the windows phone add device page for iVMS-4500.

Here is how that page looks when you first open it up and need to make changes, The "Register Mode" gives three choices: either HiDDNS or IP/DOMAIN or IP SERVER (I had used IP/DOMAIN for the successful WIFI setup)

ivmsnewdevice.jpg

GKL1520, Good progress, keep after it and please, consider writing up a tutorial with pics when you're done (cutting/blurring the secure characters). Doing so would certainly be of great help to promote the benefits Softether, for your purposes and for all other users who can use this solution.

GKL1520, Good progress, keep after it and please, consider writing up a tutorial with pics when you're done (cutting/blurring the secure characters). Doing so would certainly be of great help to promote the benefits Softether, for your purposes and for all other users who can use this solution.

Very good idea !

That way other noobs (like me o_O:D) will have step by step info all in one thread. Once I get my connection working I'll see about putting it together, it might take up to a week as I would want to edit it several times to try to be as clear as possible.

I'm still waiting for a little more help from the member on that other forum, hopefully I'll have a successful connection by later today.

That's the community spirit:) As time and duties permit, it's an additional drain on daily life, but much appreciated for those who have to start out. There are very few people who have taken it as far as you have, since most believe Lumia/MS phones are dead in the water, but this applies to many other aspects that such a tut can serve. If it were me, I'd put together a video for some projects, but those days are behind me. There are many excelllent pro-level tuts on YouTube by networking guys that are good teachers, and don't talk 60 miles a second. Audio/visual methods beat reading gibberish any day of the week, especially when one passes 65. Good luck:)

That's the community spirit:) As time and duties permit, it's an additional drain on daily life, but much appreciated for those who have to start out. There are very few people who have taken it as far as you have, since most believe Lumia/MS phones are dead in the water, but this applies to many other aspects that such a tut can serve. If it were me, I'd put together a video for some projects, but those days are behind me. There are many excelllent pro-level tuts on YouTube by networking guys that are good teachers, and don't talk 60 miles a second. Audio/visual methods beat reading gibberish any day of the week, especially when one passes 65. Good luck:)

Thanks, I don't give up easy :D but occasionally it can take weeks of off and on research to find a solution to something :confused:

What made me persistent in this instance was hearing that there were windows phone users who were successful in getting a remote connection, it was just a matter of finding one of them who had the time to share how they did it.

Having said that I still have not got it working yet, that person has helped me change many things I had wrong, but there is still something keeping me from getting a connection between my phone and the softether VPN, we'll keep trying and hopefully figure it out at least within days and not weeks o_O

Not sure if I could do a good video, but what helps me is when I can see actual screenshots that makes directions easier to understand when you can actually see what the person is referring to, being 64 I can relate :D

After I finally get it working it might take time to put together good screenshots and directions, but hopefully once I did, it might help keep others from having to go thru the weeks of research I did :D

That's OK, it's only a suggestion, if/when you get things going, and if/when you find the time, and then only if you're comfortable what you put together. Glad you're getting help on it. If not for tips and help from this forum and others, it's helped countless people figure things out. Not everyone likes to post and can absorb code or instructions just from glancing at it, like when when we were young. There's so much conflicting sources of information, that textbooks and well done youtube videos really do help, if you can find the right ones, and not everyone likes being on camera, not counting the facebook crowd. Yorgi develped a fantastic VPN guide, his directions are as good as anything I've found anywhere, if not better. Stay with it and good luck.

That's OK, it's only a suggestion, if/when you get things going, and if/when you find the time, and then only if you're comfortable what you put together. Glad you're getting help on it. If not for tips and help from this forum and others, it's helped countless people figure things out. Not everyone likes to post and can absorb code or instructions just from glancing at it, like when when we were young. There's so much conflicting sources of information, that textbooks and well done youtube videos really do help, if you can find the right ones, and not everyone likes being on camera, not counting the facebook crowd. Yorgi develped a fantastic VPN guide, his directions are as good as anything I've found anywhere, if not better. Stay with it and good luck.

I don't mind trying to put together screenshots with directions after I get this figured out, I think that would be less confusing to people if I tried to explain it on video being a noob :D

The key with the videos is finding the right one for your particular devices and software, not always easy o_O

Thought you'd appreciate reading this post I just posted on another forum where a member helped me fix it, my mind is tired so I'll just paste it here instead of rewriting it -

Well, finally .....SUCCESS !!!!!! Thanks to you and everyone who offered ideas, it was very much appreciated !!!!! Special thanks to Roger who started a forum conversation with me on Thursday and 4 days and 6 pages of posts later helped me get success, if the forum has an award for extra extra effort he deserves it :D

My mind is tired, so without going into all the specific details right now of all the settings I had wrong and/or omitted, the final roadblocks were that the computer that the softether VPN server is on must be hardwired to the router, not thru WIFI, and the final roadblock was that my computer's firewall was blocking the VPN connection, also it was set to public network and I had to switch it to private network to turn off the firewall safely.