What's new

Need help remote connecting windows phone to router VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GKL1520, as the Klingons used to say, Ka'Pla! I' assumed you were connected by ethernet into your router, so much for my old-schoool, old-guy assumptions. Exhaustion hits everyone now and then. Everything works better wired, especially when you're doing security settings, since WiFi is not really safe; it's just a convenience that everyone has become accustomed to using. Now that you've begun to learn the ropes, don't stop, you've just scratced the surface, now you have an idea of how deep all of this can really get (not really:). Get some rest, and you're welcome.

GKL1520, as the Klingons used to say, Ka'Pla! I' assumed you were connected by ethernet into your router, so much for my old-schoool, old-guy assumptions. Exhaustion hits everyone now and then. Everything works better wired, especially when you're doing security settings, since WiFi is not really safe; it's just a convenience that everyone has become accustomed to using. Now that you've begun to learn the ropes, don't stop, you've just scratced the surface, now you have an idea of how deep all of this can really get (not really:). Get some rest, and you're welcome.

Well, some things I'm more knowledgeable about, some things, like network settings and routers, I'm a noob o_O

One thing I didn't realize is that the "bridge" part of the Softether VPN server has to be hardwired to the router in order to function. I remembered I have an old windows vista laptop that was sitting unused for a few years (has a broken hinge, needs clamped to stay open) that I'll be trying to set up next week and use as the hardwired server, I tried using my laptop just to find the solution, I can't keep it hardwired as the router is at the other end of the house.

The other thing I happened to try "just in case" it was causing a problem, was to turn off the computer firewall, and it worked ! Often when you are not an expert at something you just have to try things just to eliminate or confirm possible sources of the problem.

Okay, let me stop now, my wife occasionally kids me and says sometimes I am too talkative, I guess that goes for typing too :D

Have a good night !

Be sure to find the correct rules so the firewall passes Softether through, it should create it's own connecter in LAC, but that going to a different story with Softether; likely one of the folks who helped can assist setting up your firewall on the laptop when you're ready. If you can possibly install Win 7 (doesn't have to be x64 on the Vista laptop but most of those came ready for x64). We bought a new HP Vista laptop, ran Vista for a day, then immediately installed Win7x64 and never looked back. Win7 will make you a decent server depending on how large a drive is in it; you could put a $25, 500-GB WD 3.5" Green A/V drive in a USB dock to cache all the served files. Vista was finally sort of fixed before they killed it off, but it's not going to be secure enough for a server; some places still use Server 2003. To each their own. There are people who love to be proclaimed experts; many more are born-wizards, qualified or trained for, then spent years working at, with little thanks. Wizard seems like a more appropriate title in the IT world. Wives wish that we spent as much time talking to them:) Check back sometime; and remember those bearded guys in the Urals, watching your server, and proceed with all appropriate care.

Be sure to find the correct rules so the firewall passes Softether through, it should create it's own connecter in LAC, but that going to a different story with Softether; likely one of the folks who helped can assist setting up your firewall on the laptop when you're ready. If you can possibly install Win 7 (doesn't have to be x64 on the Vista laptop but most of those came ready for x64). We bought a new HP Vista laptop, ran Vista for a day, then immediately installed Win7x64 and never looked back. Win7 will make you a decent server depending on how large a drive is in it; you could put a $25, 500-GB WD 3.5" Green A/V drive in a USB dock to cache all the served files. Vista was finally sort of fixed before they killed it off, but it's not going to be secure enough for a server; some places still use Server 2003. To each their own. There are people who love to be proclaimed experts; many more are born-wizards, qualified or trained for, then spent years working at, with little thanks. Wizard seems like a more appropriate title in the IT world. Wives wish that we spent as much time talking to them:) Check back sometime; and remember those bearded guys in the Urals, watching your server, and proceed with all appropriate care.

Thanks for the info and ideas, I can consider win7 but as far as Vista not being secure enough for a server, wouldn't the softether VPN protect against attacks ?

I took a day off from too much tech stuff today, I did repair the power cord to the vista laptop as it had an intermittent connection.

I know I'm not an expert at routers and networks o_O, but I do know a little more now than I did a few weeks ago :D

All things in good time. I don't want to go further astray or risk the wrath of anyone on the forum by doing so. You deserve a starting point, but private posting is considered bad form, and everyone is swamped with their projects. You need to search for a trusted, quality local professional who is able to personally offer you an bottom line estimate of how to secure your machines on your LAN, using what you have, and free, firewall clients with a user friendly interface. It can be done with the Windows firewall, but most people don't care for the interface. I assume you don't or can't afford for more than what a technically proficient local person can provide you in an hour or two to set up firewalls on all of your systems, while at your home; not over the internet. It really shouldn't take more than that.

Softether is a secure server/client that can utilize multiple protocols to securely 'tunnel' traffic from one point (your home) to another point, ie, to your Lumia. Similar to a VPN provider, softether helps protect your traffic in certain ways, but doesn't protect the machine, that are sitting in your home, protected only by the NAT firewall in your router router. When you're away and log into a commercial (cafe) or public WiFi access point, such as the public library might provide, you[re at a risk that you may learn isn't acceptable after you learn what you're really up against. I have a good idea that the local library can't afford the kind of security I'd have to have for my data. The governent(s) monitors all public library traffic, who almost never erases any of your access time, their logs, patron logins or your browsing history. They have to meet these arbitrary guidelines since they're existing on federal funds. Most private donations have drastically plummeted in recent years, so if they want to serve the public, they had to adjust and go where the funding was. I won't touch cafe/motel/library, etc access. If you do, you're surrendering everything on your machines, on the hope, 'what could possibly go wrong/happen? In that case, you're at the mercy of and totally dependant on the amount of whatever security is/isn't rovided by the unknown owner/operator/provider of the WiFi you access, not to mention the unknown ISP that WiFi connects to. Most commercial businesses have to keep records of all internet records of their users, for insurance purposes and under various federal statutes, including SOX. If you don't want to have your phones hacked, shut off the WiFi when you go shopping at a big-box store this holiday season, or when you take your wife out for dinner at the local restaurant. If your phone runs on ATT's network, that's the most untrustworthy telecom on the N. American continent. They get to legally lie to all of their customers every day, and can't be sued for it; ever. It was written into certain post-911 law. See what EFF.org says. Imagine if you will, thinking no one will bother stopping to stare at you, if you decided it might be fun to cut your front lawn in the buff; how long do you think it will be until the TV news truck, followed by the local law enforcement arrives at your home? I used to joke, 'try streaking in rush-hour traffic and hope no one stares or calls 911' but that analogy is as old as Ray Stevens, still alive in Nashville. None of it's a joke. Softether isn't a firewall. There's a difference and you'll have to learn the basics of NAT before it becomes clear what it is, and isn't. The bare minimum of NAT firewalls are included with consumer grade routers, because people expect it, and it makes them 'feel' protected. It gives everyone a false sense of security but is like a glass jaw when compared to a well-configured software firewall on each machine.

Go here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
This is Steve Gibson's site, one of the best, true security experts, who still writes in machine code; look through his site, after you allow his Shield's Up test to scan your connection and router. I'd bet a dime you'll have your eye's opened with the results. If your router only shows 3 ports open, or 'all green/blue' as a result, then pay no attention to the old guy behind the curtain; you're probably in OZ.

You should -always- run a properly configured firewall client with secure rules on every computer behind the router, even the server, unless, you learn and employ something like PfSense firewall/router. If I had to allow any video exit my home, that's the only way I'd it would happen; others say I'm just old and paranoid. Remeber the XFiles...Trust No One, especially online. I'm a nice guy, but just because I think so, don't invite me into your network; I'd refuse since we've never met, not because you aren't deserving. (any bad guys -anywhere- on earth, who are reading this on the forum, are hunting for your public IP address on your ISP as you read this). Remember, there's a sucker born every minute, and was was said many decades prior to the existance of computers and the internet. If you can't find a qualified, trustworthy pro, who will come to your home, to give you a free or low-cost estimate in order to offer you a poor man's proposal for the best minimum you can afford, you'll have to start reading books, and watching some good youtube videos, made by pros who do this for a living. Don't count amusing jokers who talk fast hip-hop, to see how many likes they can generate in a month. There are millions of bad actors out there every moment of the day, trying to find the traffic coming from your public IP. If you don't know what that is, resign yourself to some serious studying.

Even if you paid $300-$500 for the highest-end Asus thats out there, or any other consumer-grade router, and even if you tried to set it up the best way you could mange without outside pro help, simply by reading the guides on the Merlin forum, kids using readily downloadable, standard hacking tools, can scan entire countries in less than 20 seconds; don't take my word for it, the info has existed for many years. Unless you have someone you can trust, to not take advantage of your setup, and who can personally look at your server, router and firewall software, you will have to be your own resident IT 'expert'. Usually, local professionals won't betray a potential customer's trust, but they won't be able to help you unless they look at your network, even a tiny one, to see how best to secure it, within your means. Never-ever trust and and don't extend a remote invitation to anyone to 'look at your computer or desktop' to 'fix it' unless you know for a fact who they are, including someone claiming to be from Microsoft. If you've met with a local pro, and know them personally, you might agree in writing to assign them a one-time sign in to verify something, but it makes me uneasy to suggest it. I don't recommend not using a software firewall, with any Windows OS, including Win7-10. Windows has always been the most hacked OS on the planet, because it's so easy for kids to break in. I always remove remote access from all Windows OS immediately on a new installation, before plugging into the router. Then, firewall, A/V, spyware/malware software is also installed before allowing a Windows machine to be plugged into your router to reach the internet the very first time. It -is- that dangerous; anyone who tells you otherwise, should be suspect.

Anyone who gains access to your set up remotely or in person, including anyone you allow to use your computer on wired or wireless access, can slip in rules to allow them to get inside your LAN and the computers, at any time and place of their choosing. They usually like to do it when you're staring at the screen, and you'll never know they were there. No forks nor scripting will ever exist to secure your router, no firewall rules can be inserted to do so.

The universe of networking, routing and firewalls is so incredibly complicated and deep, you can study for years before being truly adept, much less competent with it. That's the short-short version. If you have a local public library, they likely have these books, if not others; please, read them, or there's Amazon; 1) "Networking, A Beginner's Guide, 6th edition/2014" and 2) Networking for Dummies, (9 books in one). The 'Dummies' guides are a great place to start. You can laugh and learn simultaneously. Start a search, but be prepared to learn how woefully unprotected people really are. If you need further help on this, I'll post a link or two, but I'm confident you'll be able to do this. Good luck.

Last edited:
All things in good time. I don't want to go further astray or risk the wrath of anyone on the forum by doing so. You deserve a starting point, but private posting is considered bad form, and everyone is swamped with their projects. You need to search for a trusted, quality local professional who is able to personally offer you an bottom line estimate of how to secure your machines on your LAN, using what you have, and free, firewall clients with a user friendly interface. It can be done with the Windows firewall, but most people don't care for the interface. I assume you don't or can't afford for more than what a technically proficient local person can provide you in an hour or two to set up firewalls on all of your systems, while at your home; not over the internet. It really shouldn't take more than that.

Softether is a secure server/client that can utilize multiple protocols to securely 'tunnel' traffic from one point (your home) to another point, ie, to your Lumia. Similar to a VPN provider, softether helps protect your traffic in certain ways, but doesn't protect the machine, that are sitting in your home, protected only by the NAT firewall in your router router. When you're away and log into a commercial (cafe) or public WiFi access point, such as the public library might provide, you[re at a risk that you may learn isn't acceptable after you learn what you're really up against. I have a good idea that the local library can't afford the kind of security I'd have to have for my data. The governent(s) monitors all public library traffic, who almost never erases any of your access time, their logs, patron logins or your browsing history. They have to meet these arbitrary guidelines since they're existing on federal funds. Most private donations have drastically plummeted in recent years, so if they want to serve the public, they had to adjust and go where the funding was. I won't touch cafe/motel/library, etc access. If you do, you're surrendering everything on your machines, on the hope, 'what could possibly go wrong/happen? In that case, you're at the mercy of and totally dependant on the amount of whatever security is/isn't rovided by the unknown owner/operator/provider of the WiFi you access, not to mention the unknown ISP that WiFi connects to. Most commercial businesses have to keep records of all internet records of their users, for insurance purposes and under various federal statutes, including SOX. If you don't want to have your phones hacked, shut off the WiFi when you go shopping at a big-box store this holiday season, or when you take your wife out for dinner at the local restaurant. If your phone runs on ATT's network, that's the most untrustworthy telecom on the N. American continent. They get to legally lie to all of their customers every day, and can't be sued for it; ever. It was written into certain post-911 law. See what EFF.org says. Imagine if you will, thinking no one will bother stopping to stare at you, if you decided it might be fun to cut your front lawn in the buff; how long do you think it will be until the TV news truck, followed by the local law enforcement arrives at your home? I used to joke, 'try streaking in rush-hour traffic and hope no one stares or calls 911' but that analogy is as old as Ray Stevens, still alive in Nashville. None of it's a joke. Softether isn't a firewall. There's a difference and you'll have to learn the basics of NAT before it becomes clear what it is, and isn't. The bare minimum of NAT firewalls are included with consumer grade routers, because people expect it, and it makes them 'feel' protected. It gives everyone a false sense of security but is like a glass jaw when compared to a well-configured software firewall on each machine.

Go here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
This is Steve Gibson's site, one of the best, true security experts, who still writes in machine code; look through his site, after you allow his Shield's Up test to scan your connection and router. I'd bet a dime you'll have your eye's opened with the results. If your router only shows 3 ports open, or 'all green/blue' as a result, then pay no attention to the old guy behind the curtain; you're probably in OZ.

You should -always- run a properly configured firewall client with secure rules on every computer behind the router, even the server, unless, you learn and employ something like PfSense firewall/router. If I had to allow any video exit my home, that's the only way I'd it would happen; others say I'm just old and paranoid. Remeber the XFiles...Trust No One, especially online. I'm a nice guy, but just because I think so, don't invite me into your network; I'd refuse since we've never met, not because you aren't deserving. (any bad guys -anywhere- on earth, who are reading this on the forum, are hunting for your public IP address on your ISP as you read this). Remember, there's a sucker born every minute, and was was said many decades prior to the existance of computers and the internet. If you can't find a qualified, trustworthy pro, who will come to your home, to give you a free or low-cost estimate in order to offer you a poor man's proposal for the best minimum you can afford, you'll have to start reading books, and watching some good youtube videos, made by pros who do this for a living. Don't count amusing jokers who talk fast hip-hop, to see how many likes they can generate in a month. There are millions of bad actors out there every moment of the day, trying to find the traffic coming from your public IP. If you don't know what that is, resign yourself to some serious studying.

Even if you paid $300-$500 for the highest-end Asus thats out there, or any other consumer-grade router, and even if you tried to set it up the best way you could mange without outside pro help, simply by reading the guides on the Merlin forum, kids using readily downloadable, standard hacking tools, can scan entire countries in less than 20 seconds; don't take my word for it, the info has existed for many years. Unless you have someone you can trust, to not take advantage of your setup, and who can personally look at your server, router and firewall software, you will have to be your own resident IT 'expert'. Usually, local professionals won't betray a potential customer's trust, but they won't be able to help you unless they look at your network, even a tiny one, to see how best to secure it, within your means. Never-ever trust and and don't extend a remote invitation to anyone to 'look at your computer or desktop' to 'fix it' unless you know for a fact who they are, including someone claiming to be from Microsoft. If you've met with a local pro, and know them personally, you might agree in writing to assign them a one-time sign in to verify something, but it makes me uneasy to suggest it. I don't recommend not using a software firewall, with any Windows OS, including Win7-10. Windows has always been the most hacked OS on the planet, because it's so easy for kids to break in. I always remove remote access from all Windows OS immediately on a new installation, before plugging into the router. Then, firewall, A/V, spyware/malware software is also installed before allowing a Windows machine to be plugged into your router to reach the internet the very first time. It -is- that dangerous; anyone who tells you otherwise, should be suspect.

Anyone who gains access to your set up remotely or in person, including anyone you allow to use your computer on wired or wireless access, can slip in rules to allow them to get inside your LAN and the computers, at any time and place of their choosing. They usually like to do it when you're staring at the screen, and you'll never know they were there. No forks nor scripting will ever exist to secure your router, no firewall rules can be inserted to do so.

The universe of networking, routing and firewalls is so incredibly complicated and deep, you can study for years before being truly adept, much less competent with it. That's the short-short version. If you have a local public library, they likely have these books, if not others; please, read them, or there's Amazon; 1) "Networking, A Beginner's Guide, 6th edition/2014" and 2) Networking for Dummies, (9 books in one). The 'Dummies' guides are a great place to start. You can laugh and learn simultaneously. Start a search, but be prepared to learn how woefully unprotected people really are. If you need further help on this, I'll post a link or two, but I'm confident you'll be able to do this. Good luck.

Sorry if I'm violating any forum rules, anytime I do the moderators are welcome to PM me and let me know, I won't be offended :D

Anyhow you have shared bounty of a thanksgiving size technical "meal", I'll save it and refer back to it as it is a lot to take in all at once. Amazing how much more technical this stuff is than the average person might realize !

I do like the "for Dummies" books and will consider that because the more I research this stuff the more I realize I don't know :confused::D .....makes me feel like I need a college course in networking though :D

Thanks again for all your help, it is definitely appreciated !:)

If someone really had an issue re my well-meaning long-windedness, a comment would've shown up rather quickly. It would take a considerable breech of protocols (or level of ignorance and disrespect I try never to respond to) that would justify a moderator taking time to scold or penalize anyone. After years, I've found that as long as help is offered respectfully, in good faith and taste, and stays on the same topic, all is well. This has all been related to your post, but I tried to offer as much as I can. It's not often I have time to help. There is likely have nothing to worry about, but let's not tempt fate:) Crossed fingers. Good luck with your studies and work; your project will help someone else, sooner or later. Post when you have time after it's all secured and working. Cheers

Well, I now have a hardwired softether vpn server and remote view works on our windows phones, now I just have to install the camera outside, I had it sitting inside hooked up until I knew everything was working okay.

I plan on paying it forward and write up a guide sheet to help others who might have trouble trying a similar setup, it might be a few weeks as I don't want to just hurriedly throw something together. (and besides, my mind needs a few days rest after several weeks of technical research :D)

Thanks again for all your help and ideas !!!!

Congrats, good job. Relax, take it easy for a while, talk to wife (very important), put your tutorial together as you get time. With the understanding you've gained, getting to know softether from the bottom up, without prior experience, will benefit lots of folks in the long term. Cheers

Congrats, good job. Relax, take it easy for a while, talk to wife (very important), put your tutorial together as you get time. With the understanding you've gained, getting to know softether from the bottom up, without prior experience, will benefit lots of folks in the long term. Cheers

Thanks, and yes, my wife and I talk together very well and often, I am blessed that she is not only my wife, but my best friend too ! :D

Indeed, unfortunately, too man guys on this planet haven't figured that out, took me too many years, but as with all good things, (like Softether) it all came to pass. Mine won't get into too much tech, and is content to allow me to provide all IT side-benefits. She finally was happy to learn the iPhone, Lumia and working with an iPad, but she refuses to talk with Siri, and I don't think Siri likes me either, probably because it's so much fun to trip Siri up. Please study and work with your firewall to stay safe, Cheers.

Indeed, unfortunately, too man guys on this planet haven't figured that out, took me too many years, but as with all good things, (like Softether) it all came to pass. Mine won't get into too much tech, and is content to allow me to provide all IT side-benefits. She finally was happy to learn the iPhone, Lumia and working with an iPad, but she refuses to talk with Siri, and I don't think Siri likes me either, probably because it's so much fun to trip Siri up. Please study and work with your firewall to stay safe, Cheers.

Reminded me of way back when I set up my wife's first email address, at first she did not feel comfortable even sending her own emails, I would tell her (or print out) email she received and she would tell me what to say in an email to send back. I'm not sure how long that was after our first computer, the Tandy TL2 1000 and dial up modem :D but over time she got more comfortable with computers, started doing her own email, and little by little over time I have (and continue to) teach her basic tricks, (using a wild card "*" to search for files, "right clicking" on things for menu selections, even yesterday to look at the source HTML code to find a web address and copy/paste when a link wasn't working) but she still needs my "IT" help from time to time on tougher things. Back when I wanted to get us our current smartphones she felt like "why we need those ?", but now she is glad as she loves being able to do stuff like quickly check her email occasionally (or surf the web) from her phone when she don't want to open her laptop just for a quick check. (and be able to do that when away from home to). We have "Alexa" and my wife likes being able to ask for any specific song to listen to, of course I have fun with it, I ask Alexa if she knows Siri and I get some interesting answers :D we have an Echo dot in two different rooms in the house and can also use them as voice activated intercoms, lots of other neat skills too. There are areas my wife is far more intelligent than me, like financial stuff, like Excel, she graduated from college with honors with a financial degree, so there are areas I need to rely on her smarts :D we call ourselves a team as we each need each other as we each have our strengths to compliment each other :D (and I will be studying more about firewalls after all what you said in previous posts :))