What's new

Need help with Range Extensor and QoS on AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alakdae

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I bought a new Asus AC3200 last week and I've been fighting to correctly set it up for 7 days already.

I've updated the firmware to Merlin 380.64_2 and I was finally able to set up Port Forwarding which I was unable to do it using Asus firmware.

But now I have two more issues I couldn't solve. I've been looking all over the internet to find solutions but was not able to find anybody else who has similar issues, so I decided to sign up here and ask. Hopefully I'm asking on the correct part of this forum.

First issue is with my Range Extensor (TL-WA850). I'm able to connect it to my new Asus router, and I got my Chromecast and my Phone to connect to it, and got internet. When I checked the Network Map on my Asus it showed the RE with a 2, I guess it meant there were 2 devices connected to it. But as soon as I try to open netflix, either on my phone or on my Chromecast, the Range extensor loses access to the network. It stops showing up on the router network map, and obviously I lose access to internet.

I'm at work now, but I can send whichever log is needed this afternoon to see if there is an issue with how I'm setting my Asus or the RE (Which was working perfectly with my old Belkin router).

The second issue I have is with QoS. I had to set it to Traditional QoS since Adaptative wouldn't allow me to use Port Forwarding. Now, I set my computer with Highest Priority, and my iPhone with lowest priority. I limit the download bandwith for lowest priority to 80%, but that doesn't seem to change anything, if I try to download anything with my phone or even do a "Speed Test" while I ping "www.google.com" on my computer with Highest Priority, ping goes from 15-20ms to 400-1500ms until the phone download ends. (Ping goes up for other things like gaming also, it is not only "www.google.com").

If I use the option to limit bandwith to my phone, it works as a charm, but I don't what to have to configure every device in my home to have limited bandwith to be able to play without latency issues. Is there anything I'm doing wrong here?

Even if you can't help me with this, I really thank you all for the answers you give, since a lot of answers here have already helped me a lot to set up my router.

I have been using the Asus AC3200 for about 10 months now and the QoS has never worked right, but I use the Bandwidth limiter instead, which works OK for most of my needs (it just seems to forget some of the rules I have set, when there is a lot of rules (more than 10 say)).

Last edited:
I'm at work now, but I can send whichever log is needed this afternoon to see if there is an issue with how I'm setting my Asus or the RE (Which was working perfectly with my old Belkin router).
Did you reset the RE to factory defaults before moving it to the Asus from the Belkin?

I see from the RE's manual that it is effectively acting as a wireless router, with it's own subnet and DHCP server. Make sure you have not changed the IP ranges of the Asus or RE so that they are in conflict. The defaults for both devices are correct, 192.168.1.x for the Asus, and 192.168.0.x for the RE.

Also, check the syslog's on both the Asus and the RE for the time when the disconnect occurs to see if there are any clues.

Last edited: