What's new

Need RAID 6 NAS Minimum 6Bay

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nullack

Occasional Visitor
Gday folks :)

So I'm looking for a NAS that will do RAID6 and have atleast 6 bays. After looking at the market I cant find one with ECC RAM? I need to keep the NAS on 24/7 and I am totally unconvinced of not having atleast unbufferred ECC RAM included.

Also, the raid controller on NAS's, does it have a battery backup module for writing cache to disk in the event of power failure?

I'm trying to avoid building my own system with a cheap AMD, unbuffered ECC RAM and a hardware pciexpress raid 6 card with battery backup. Do I have no option but to build my own?

You're not going to find what you're looking for among consumer / prosumer NASes. None that I have seen use ECC RAM.

Thats a shame considering if one vendor went to AMD chips and used unbuffered ECC RAM the costs wouldnt be all that different than a crappy Intel Celeron with unbuffered non-ecc ram as used in large bay NAS's. Especially given they run raid 6 in software I hate to think of loosing a whole array due to a bit flip being written to disk in the controlling array region of memory.