What's new

Need To Reboot Remotely. Web GUI Problem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetworkHippie

New Around Here
Hi All,
Just recently upadated to ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9235. After updating everything was working fine. This was done remotely as I am stationed overseas. I have some IPcameras and a synology NAS in my home network. My problem started 2 days ago when 2 IPcameras were showing as disconnected. In the past when this happens I would just reboot my router thru the web interface and the disconnected cameras will just reconnect back. I cannot do this anymore since the web interface cannot load completely. Read some suggestions to use a secure connection to view the whole web interface. I can navigate to http://ipaddress:port/Advanced_System_Content.asp and can change the authentication method to BOTH but when I hit the APPLY button, nothing happens. Telnet is also disabled. I tried http://ipaddress:port/start_apply.asp too but nothing happens. Any solution please.

I hate to suggest telnet as a way to communicate remotely and I haven't used it for executing commands, but some of the open source firmwares support ssh and with that you can go in and issue a reboot command to the router. Asus firmware does not support ssh and I don't know if Merlin does either but TomatoUSB does.
I've always been mystified as to why AsusWRT only supports the less secure telnet.

Update: Having just read another post and response by Merlin (http://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...ord-but-now-i-cant-access-gui-just-ssh.28442/, I see he does support ssh. You might try upgrading to his recent firmware. Pardon my ignorance...haven't used Merlin's firmware for a while.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion wh7qq. I would gladly do that but I did not enable telnet before this problem occured.

Presently, I have been trying to enable Telnet but APPLY button won't execute.

You may not be able to enable it remotely. That would be a big security hole.

I have been trying to enable SSH and did put 22 as SSH port but nothing happens when I click APPLY. Of course I can only do this while Logged On. The entire left side of the interface is gone, so I just change the end part of the url so I could navigate. Also the upper part of the interface is gone so there is no option to reboot. Logging out seems pretty easy by just adding Logout.asp. How can I REBOOT the router or APPLY the changes via url. Need some help here. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have been trying to enable SSH and did put 22 as SSH port but nothing happens when I click APPLY. Of course I can only do this while Logged On. The entire left side of the interface is gone, so I just change the end part of the url so I could navigate. Also the upper part of the interface is gone so there is no option to reboot. Logging out seems pretty easy by just adding Logout.asp. How can I REBOOT the router or APPLY the changes via url. Need some help here. Thanks.
I am affraid there is no other solution then a local action at the router itself.
I few hints for the future:
  • When you enable Web Access from WAN, you shall also select HTTPS and a port for Authentication Method.
  • Do not enable Telnet together with Web Access from WAN (Asuswrt Merlin firmware offers SSH as alternative which is considered safe).
  • Do not upgrade the firmware via a remote connection and preferably also not via a wireless connection: depending on the routers previous version you may need a hard reset or...like now some other manual action to get things back online.
  • Before a firmware upgrade: read the release notes.

I am affraid there is no other solution then a local action at the router itself.
I few hints for the future:
  • When you enable Web Access from WAN, you shall also select HTTPS and a port for Authentication Method.
  • Do not enable Telnet together with Web Access from WAN (Asuswrt Merlin firmware offers SSH as alternative which is considered safe).
  • Do not upgrade the firmware via a remote connection and preferably also not via a wireless connection: depending on the routers previous version you may need a hard reset or...like now some other manual action to get things back online.
  • Before a firmware upgrade: read the release notes.
Thanks a lot. I would always put your suggestions in mind. I know somehow that it was an impossible task. Would wait for a year to be able to locally RESET the router back to fix the web interface and hoping for a power outage so that the cameras would reconnect back.

Thanks a lot. I would always put your suggestions in mind. I know somehow that it was an impossible task. Would wait for a year to be able to locally RESET the router back to fix the web interface and hoping for a power outage so that the cameras would reconnect back.
I doubt that a simple power cycle will heal the router.
Don't you have someone looking after your house to act as local hands on the router?

I doubt that a simple power cycle will heal the router.
Don't you have someone looking after your house to act as local hands on the router?
There is someone who is regularly coming. But I don't want him to know that the heart of the network is acting strangely.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!