What's new

Need tutorial on adding user applications

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nobode

Occasional Visitor
I've been trying to add some small apps to the firmware so that I don't need to plug a USB key (with EntWare or OptWare) to use them.

According to README under elease/src-rt/router, I should edit config/Config and name the module rule under the "Configuration" section of the Makefile. Looks simple enough, but I don't know exactly how.

Take autossh for example, I put the source folder under router dir, normally I should ./configure and make, but this isn't the case for cross compiling, so how do I generate the right makefile?

That README is probably no longer accurate. I believe it's a leftover from Asuswrt's ancestors.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to write a simple "how-to" tutorial on how to add more applications to the firmware. It requires technical know-how, not something that can be summed up in a simple tutorial. Some software will require you to manually modify the Makefile, or add dependencies, modify include paths, etc...

Thank you RMerlin. At least I don't have to waste time sticking to that README. Maybe I'll start with adding a Hello World app.