What's new

Netgear A6210 drivers vs Mediatek drivers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KSoze

Occasional Visitor
Hi:

Quick question. I always wondered if it is better to use the manufacturer drivers or the chip maker drivers (in this case, Netgear vs Mediatek). I understand they are probably both the same. In this case, Netgear uses the 5.1.22 version and Mediatek offers the 5.1.25 one so, should I stick to Netgear or upgrade with the Mediatek ones (not "compatible" out of the box, have to install it from list and uncheck "show only compatibles" for Windows to switch to this one)?

Thanks!

Go with the manufacturer's drivers first, in case they did any fine tuning specific to their hardware design. Go with the chip maker's driver if you have a particular reason to (issues present with the manufacturer's driver).

Well, in this case, there's one issue. Netgear drivers are capped to USB 2.0 when used with an Asmedia USB 3.0 host (known issue) while the Mediatek ones are not, although I am not sure if this is limiting the performance in my case (not reaching USB 2.0 cap). Aside from that, they have been performing fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!