What's new

Netgear Orbi discussion thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any device attached to the internet gets constantly probed. That's why you have a firewall.
The same IP all the time and across different countries? I guess that's possible as I know routers are probed all the time just wondering why the upsurge with this one. Ah well the firewalls doing its job.

The same IP all the time and across different countries? I guess that's possible as I know routers are probed all the time just wondering why the upsurge with this one. Ah well the firewalls doing its job.
Yes. Source IP doesn't tell you much since the bots doing this are all over the world.

I have seen an uptick in my servers being probed for the last month. For routers, the disclosure of router related vulnerabilities is likely the cause.

Received an Orbi 3-pack for Christmas. Right now its installed in AP mode with the 5ghz radio on and the 2.4ghz off. My AC-RT87U is still performing all 2.4ghz and routing functions. I wanted to keep the ASUS as my router and just use the Orbi as an AP because I like the ASUS firewall and protection features and I'm not sure I trust the Orbi's firewall. However, because the guest network on the Orbi in AP mode DOES NOT isolate the guests from the LAN, I now have to consider using the Orbi as my entire system.

Anyone running an Orbi system in router mode with a guest network? Can you confirm that the guest network really isolates the guests from the LAN in router mode?

Thanks

Anyone running an Orbi system in router mode with a guest network? Can you confirm that the guest network really isolates the guests from the LAN in router mode?

Thanks

Yes it does isolate guest network from your local network. On the advanced tab in the guest network configuration page there is check box for the access rights for the "guest" network.

Code:
Wireless Settings
 Enable Guest Network
 Enable SSID Broadcast
 Allow guests to see each other and access my local network

First post, my Apple Airport Extreme bit the dust and I'm forced to upgrade about a year sooner than I'd hoped to...

Looks like the Orbi +1 will be the setup for my house, but had a question:

Should I change from the Xfinity/Comcast modem to something better compatible with the Orbi? I'm supposed to be getting 100 down/8 up, and I'd like to use QoS if I can.

I'm actually not sure I'm allowed to, but if I can is it the better setup?

I'd just as soon buy everything at once and perhaps get a package deal... and install it all together.

Yes it does isolate guest network from your local network. On the advanced tab in the guest network configuration page there is check box for the access rights for the "guest" network.

Code:
Wireless Settings
 Enable Guest Network
 Enable SSID Broadcast
 Allow guests to see each other and access my local network

OK, just to be clear, are you saying that the Orbi system can be configured to isolate the guest from the LAN, or are you saying you have verified that it actually works when you do configure it that way?

Thanks

OK, just to be clear, are you saying that the Orbi system can be configured to isolate the guest from the LAN, or are you saying you have verified that it actually works when you do configure it that way?

Thanks

It works.

Went back to firmware version 1.3.0.12 from version 1.4.0.18 for a couple of reasons. First off, I like the "Advanced Attached Devices" listing, where I can see what band clients have been put on. The other reason is that version 1.4.0.16 and 1.4.10.18 apparently put my desktop computer on the 2.4GHz. band, and that causes unstable operation. The Orbi is stuck on 40MHz. channel width, even though there's too much local interference for 40MHz. channel width, and I have "20/40MHz. coexistence" enabled. And the Orbi puts my desktop computer on 2.4GHz. since a 40MHz. channel there can handle it. But the 40MHz. channel width on 2.4GHz. is not really usable, so it reverts to 20MHz. channel width after trying 40MHz channel width. And back and forth, resulting in unstable operation, and my desktop computer cannot get my full ISP download as a result of the instability.

At least, that's what I think is happening. With 1.3.0.12, my desktop computer is definitely put on 5GHz., and gets full ISP download speed, and is stable. With 1.4.0.16 and 1.4.0.18 versions, the speed test looks unstable on my desktop computer, and doesn't get up to my full ISP download speed. So I believe that my desktop computer is being put on 2.4GHz. with those versions.

So I'm staying with 1.3.0.12 until a better behaved firmware release comes along...I'll miss the security fixes, but stable operation is more important to me at the moment.

Last edited:
Okay, flashed the new firmware version to see how that works, version 1.4.0.34. I also didn't reset the router or satellite back to factory defaults after flashing, so have retained the "Advanced Attached Devices" display. I think that I lose that if I reset to factory defaults, but for the moment it's just fine. I did set my desktop PC wireless network interface to "wireless-ac", which may have caused the Orbi to leave it on 5GHz., or it may be doing that because I didn't do a reset to factory defaults after the flashes. Not sure what would happen if I reset the router and the satellite, though. None the less, looks promising, and have all the fixes at this point.

I'll see how it goes, but I have high hopes that things will be okay (until I have to do a reset to factory defaults for some reason) for the time being. Interesting, so all one has to do to get the "Advanced Attached Devices" screen back if you've lost it, is flash back to version 1.3.0.12, turn that the screen on via the debug page, then flash forward to the version that you actually want...

I like the Orbi system but not being able to know what band you are on is frustrating. My Linksys MU-MIMO adapter seems to be on the 2.4GHz band as it can't get my full Download speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did install 1.4.0.34 today and there is not much of a difference between .18. Still can't tell what band the devices are on. I may go back to the R7800 until they fix their firmware.

Here, the Orbi advised me of the new firmware version 1.4.0.34 available last night...otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. It isn't much different, since, as the release notes say, "fixed some minor bugs". I don't use "Genie remote".

This may not interest you, but if you flash back to 1.3.0.12 and turn on the "Advanced Attached Devices" screen using the debug link you'll get the client information that you're looking for. Then if you flash forward again to 1.4.0.34, you'll retain the "Advanced Attached Devices" screen. So, if you're willing to do the extra flash, and don't do a reset to factory defaults in the process, you'll get the information that you're looking for.

While I'm not overjoyed by not being able to see what band a client is connected to without doing the above extra flash, I also don't care which band clients are on if things are working well. At my place, when things are working right, all clients (except my wifi printer) are put on 5GHz., and everything works well.

So everything is working fine here now. Even though I have the client connection information, I don't need it. And I'm not motivated to go back to the R7800, nor would I be if I didn't have the information about which band clients are connected to *smile*. Great wireless.

Get used to not knowing (or caring) what channel, bandwidth, etc. your router and client are using. Just has you have no idea what band, channel, modulation method, etc, your smartphone uses, distributed Wi-Fi systems are moving in the same direction.

You don't even think about that when using corporate Wi-Fi or airport Wi-Fi. You just trust that the people setting up the network designed and maintain it properly.

After all, what most people want is just for their Wi-Fi to work reliably.

Very weird issue just happened. Like I mentioned above all my Sonos speakers showed as blocked. About a week ago one showed as Allowed. I just got a Sonos BETA Test update and 6 out of 7 got updated which were labeled as Blocked. The one that was labeled as Allowed did not get the update. This is mind boggling.

Get used to not knowing (or caring) what channel, bandwidth, etc. your router and client are using. Just has you have no idea what band, channel, modulation method, etc, your smartphone uses, distributed Wi-Fi systems are moving in the same direction.

You don't even think about that when using corporate Wi-Fi or airport Wi-Fi. You just trust that the people setting up the network designed and maintain it properly.

They could do more with the "debug" page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm), the kind of thing only those that play with routers and home networking care about *smile*. And the perfect place to turn on debug information when a problem comes up (rather than calling Netgear *smile*).

Last edited:

As long as there is a single SSID present - who cares?

Which makes me agree with the statement above...

Amen...

And if wifi or a client or two are not working reliably, then they may want/need to fix those problems...using what tools? I guess that they can get a new "wireless system" if things go wrong. Or new clients and see if that fixes their problems. Even those corporate wifi users have an IT department that fixes problems with the wifi or clients that come up. I am the IT department at my house *smile*. And tools are helpful for me in fixing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!