What's new

Netgear Orbi discussion thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do any of you guys have the Orbi in AP mode with a guest network, and have figured out how to keep people on the guest network from accessing your LAN (i.e. only allow them on the internet, but not all up in your junk). I suspect I need to create a VLAN on my ERL and somehow tie it to the Orbi guest network, but I feel like I am missing some key info.

So do any of you guys have the Orbi in AP mode with a guest network, and have figured out how to keep people on the guest network from accessing your LAN (i.e. only allow them on the internet, but not all up in your junk). I suspect I need to create a VLAN on my ERL and somehow tie it to the Orbi guest network, but I feel like I am missing some key info.

When in AP mode your upstream router does all the routing including access controls. The AP mode is MAC layer 2 so unless you write some MAC layer transport VLAN tagging for the clients identified on the guest network there isn't anything native that I can think of.

When in AP mode your upstream router does all the routing including access controls. The AP mode is MAC layer 2 so unless you write some MAC layer transport VLAN tagging for the clients identified on the guest network there isn't anything native that I can think of.
So you don't think they gave the guest network a vlan id like the apple airport does for its guest network? i have heard of people using the AirPort Extreme like I suggested with the ERL assigning a vlan to the the guest networks pre-associated vlan id (which is 1003 in that case). See here:
https://blog.gruby.com/2015/07/05/s...work-with-the-edgerouter-lite/comment-page-1/

I would really love to do something similar with the Orbi

Last edited:
So you don't think they gave the guest network a vlan id like the apple airport does for its guest network? i have heard of people using the AirPort Extreme like I suggested with the ERL assigning a vlan to the the guest networks pre-associated vlan id (which is 1003 in that case). See here:
https://blog.gruby.com/2015/07/05/s...work-with-the-edgerouter-lite/comment-page-1/

I would really love to do something similar with the Orbi

It's possible and I think the same question was asked on the Netgear site also by your clone Dan_H ;) I don't have a good way anymore to capture packets to and from Orbi to check vlan like I did at the office to validate. Does your internet router have a packet capture utility such as TCPDUMP? If so you could capture some packets and decode them for vlan tag.

It's possible and I think the same question was asked on the Netgear site also by your clone Dan_H ;) I don't have a good way anymore to capture packets to and from Orbi to check vlan like I did at the office to validate. Does your internet router have a packet capture utility such as TCPDUMP? If so you could capture some packets and decode them for vlan tag.
Never heard of him....:)

I will have to see if I can figure that out when I get home. I'm not really versed in that stuff, but I can usually figure anything out given google and enough time. If I find anything out, I'll post back here and I might even let Dan_H know as well.

I tried capturing using tcpdump from the edgerouter and couldn't really get anything useful.

So I went to the debug page for orbi, and grabbed the log from there.
The Orbi gives the guest network its own interface in my case it assigns ath2 and ath11 to the guest network (2.4ghz and 5ghz respectively) it also gives each one of them a mac address. It gives the normal network ath0 and ath1, the hidden backhaul gets ath2 and ath01.

So I am just going to go ahead and try and assign those two mac addresses to a vlan on the ERL ( or maybe on my managed switch) and see if that works. Seeing how I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, it could take awhile. report back when I am done I guess to see if it is possible.

Last edited:
So I went to the debug page for orbi, and grabbed the log from there.
The Orbi gives the guest network its own interface in my case it assigns ath2 and ath11 to the guest network (2.4ghz and 5ghz respectively) it also gives each one of them a mac address. It gives the normal network ath0 and ath1, the hidden backhaul gets ath2 and ath01.

Yes every adapter both wired and wireless has a MAC but that is for the Orbi not the computer. You can try but I don't think it will work.

OK, i have temporarily given up on that, until this weekend. In the meantime, I have a device on my network (my wife's S7Edge specifically) that is having some issues when on the satellite.

1. I cant rename it, it always shows up as "S7Edge<"
  2. It shows up as blocked
  3. The mac address shows up as /OrbiDevName1>
  4. It says it is connected "Wired"
Weird

chrome_2016-12-19_20-44-37.png

I tried assigning it a different IP address, and that still didn't fix it.

When it is on the router and not on the satellite, it is fine:
chrome_2016-12-19_20-52-51_Ink_LI.jpg

Last edited:
OK, i have temporarily given up on that, until this weekend. In the meantime, I have a device on my network (my wife's S7Edge specifically) that is having some issues when on the satellite.

1. I cant rename it, it always shows up as "S7Edge<"
  2. It shows up as blocked
  3. The mac address shows up as /OrbiDevName1>
  4. It says it is connected "Wired"
Weird

This is a known issue it's not really blocked. I have one of my devices showing blocked when I gave I a name but it still accesses the internet.

Anyone with the Orbi system gaming on the PS4 or Xbox One? If so what is your NAT like? Is it a constant Open NAT?

Confirming Acrylic WiFi professional see the backhaul as 'hidden' network on 149, 153, 157, 161.

The 5 Ghz client networks in my case are on 36, 40, 44, 48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!