What's new

Netgear r7800 in Bridge Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Csection

I have been testing a r7800 in bridge mode to see how it performs.
Anyway I have a question about running in bridge mode.

Can I attach a external usb drive to the r7800 and have access to it for backup or is this not possible?

Second question: Is it possible to access the bridged router using web browser?

Third question: How do I find the ip address of the r7800 in bridge mode?

I know that with DD-Wrt, I used to be able to access an old Linksys I had set up as a client bridge, but that was set up with static ip address, so I knew what the ip was.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not always good at expressing myself.

Any info is appreciated!

r7800 in bridge mode

the r7800 doesnt have a specific bridge mode with stock firmware so how have you got it setup

if its still working as a client bridge you access what ever the r7800 is connected to , enter its gui and the dhcp server client list

the ip address for the r7800 should be there

usb wise it should work but i have no idea how you have set it up bridge wise so cant be sure

Have 1.0.2.12 running and bridge mode is configurable from Advanced => Advanced Setup => Router / AP / Bridge Mode

Easiest method to keep track of the bridge IP, can use a static assignment

Have 1.0.2.12 running and bridge mode is configurable from Advanced => Advanced Setup => Router / AP / Bridge Mode

Easiest method to keep track of the bridge IP, can use a static assignment
Thank you guys so much for the replies!
I did use the built-in bridge function. I didn't know you could use a static ip for this. Maybe I can try again.
I have just been tinkering with it to see what it does. I don't want to go back to using DD-Wrt, cause it doesn't have stock drivers for wifi and performance isn't the same as stock.
I have never used the Ready Share even though we were using an older NG that had it. I just never took the time to check it out, but I will now!
Once again thank you for the info.

Just curious, what are you using for router? I have 2 R7800's. 1 as router [192.168.1.1]and the other as bridge [192.168.1.2]. Performance has been great with ht160 & mu mimo off. Turn them on and transfer rates drop big time. I also disabled 2.4 radio in bridge so it stays on 5ghz only. Readyshare works fine on both, but I have to enable netbios on pc network adapter to access. I disable netbios over tcip on all my pc's and use lmhosts files to access my internal network devices. Does anybody know how to access readyshare using lmhosts file or is netbios enabled the only way for usb devices connected to R7800 to become visible and accessible? Other than Tim's review, using special 2x2 firmware from netgear, you are the only mention of using R7800 as bridge I have seen on the forum. I am really happy with my set-up and I hope all goes well for you.

Just curious, what are you using for router? I have 2 R7800's. 1 as router [192.168.1.1]and the other as bridge [192.168.1.2]. Performance has been great with ht160 & mu mimo off. Turn them on and transfer rates drop big time. I also disabled 2.4 radio in bridge so it stays on 5ghz only. Readyshare works fine on both, but I have to enable netbios on pc network adapter to access. I disable netbios over tcip on all my pc's and use lmhosts files to access my internal network devices. Does anybody know how to access readyshare using lmhosts file or is netbios enabled the only way for usb devices connected to R7800 to become visible and accessible? Other than Tim's review, using special 2x2 firmware from netgear, you are the only mention of using R7800 as bridge I have seen on the forum. I am really happy with my set-up and I hope all goes well for you.
Thanks for the reply!
I am using an rt-3100(Asus-Merlin) which is located at my daughter's house and NG r7800 in bridge mode at my house 30-35ft. away. It works very well this way in 5ghz. I was originally using a usb dongle set up above my tv, but I want to test max throughput, so I decided to try the bridge mode. The NG has a very strong signal with this arraingement.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!