What's new

Netgear R7900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I know nothing of the R7900. There is nothing for it filed with the FCC as of 01/28/2015. I am surprised it has showed up in the support search results with no FCC filing, which also means it has not entered a public beta stage There is also nothing on the FTP server Netgear router's pull/check for updates from. Whatever the R7900 might be, I would say it is far off from seeing the light of day.

Hmm, when I was looking for a new firmware for my router, I noticed that a "R7900" showed up on the list.

Anyone know anything about this?

If you type in "R7" in the search field you'll see a R7000, R7500 and a R7900

Curious...

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/#searchResults

There is no current product R7900. Will there be? Not sure but in my discussions with Netgear there has been no mention of it.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Consultant

I just got the R7000, which I must say is an excellent router for my needs. Now I saw this thread and thought "damn, Netgear has a new toy and I just got the R7000". :D

I just got the R7000, which I must say is an excellent router for my needs. Now I saw this thread and thought "damn, Netgear has a new toy and I just got the R7000". :D

Don't get caught in latest and greatest. The R7000 is fantastic. Its proven and stable. There will always be newer products. Doesn't make older ones less good.

I will tell you this. Netgear is committed to the R7000. They are investing heavily in upgrading software with new features and capabilities. Should see an update early next month.

Stay tuned.

Bob Silver

Don't get caught in latest and greatest. The R7000 is fantastic. Its proven and stable. There will always be newer products. Doesn't make older ones less good.

I will tell you this. Netgear is committed to the R7000. They are investing heavily in upgrading software with new features and capabilities. Should see an update early next month.

Stay tuned.

Bob Silver

Yeah, so far I love the router. Stable, performing and good looking (I like the F117 Night Hawk design). It's actually my first Netgear device ever. I was at first a bit reserved in getting it since a) I have no experience with Netgear stuff and b) I read lots of threads having issues with it. Regarding b) I could also have focused on all negativity and dismissing the positive of it

My R7000 replaces an ASUS AC66U and the current experience with the R7000 has been very good! I'll definitely consider Netgear when I may need to buy some new networking stuff :)

Keep in mind that the Costco Version of the R7000 is the R6700. Though, the R6700 speeds are 450+1300 mbs vs the 600+1300 on the R7000. It could possibly be that the R7900 is Costco Version of the R8000.

Last edited:
I've been investigating updating my Netgear N300 router to something more current. It's been rock solid for years though I live in a condo so distance isn't a big deal. To future proof it would make sense to get an AC router so I'm wondering whether you folks would recommend the R7000 over the Asus. FYI, I made a stab at trying out the RT-N66U which was a factory refurb and it failed after 4 days use, as well as not giving me near the same wired speed as my old Netgear. The only thing about the R7000 that has me wonder is the huge size of it.. clearly FAR bigger than any other out there.. What say you?

I've been investigating updating my Netgear N300 router to something more current. It's been rock solid for years though I live in a condo so distance isn't a big deal. To future proof it would make sense to get an AC router so I'm wondering whether you folks would recommend the R7000 over the Asus. FYI, I made a stab at trying out the RT-N66U which was a factory refurb and it failed after 4 days use, as well as not giving me near the same wired speed as my old Netgear. The only thing about the R7000 that has me wonder is the huge size of it.. clearly FAR bigger than any other out there.. What say you?

Both current NETGEAR and ASUS routers will give you good wire speed and wireless range. The differences between them is what you want to do. Some people try to turn routers into full blown computers while others (like me) just need the basic routing functionality and stability

That said, if you plan to "do a lot" with the router (VPN, fine-grained QoS, etc), ASUS FW is much more tweakable and offers more options than NETGEAR's.

Regarding size, yes the R7000 is on the biggish side, but so are the bigger guns of ASUS

Clarification on the product rumors

Netgear at times creates custom sku's for certain resellers that hit a price point that the particular reseller is looking for. This often requires a modified version of an existing sku to meet this need. This is done to preserve integrity of the existing channels pricing with like products.

Without giving away specifics I am aware that Netgear is looking at several "modified" versions of their products to satisfy some high volume outlet locations. While these products will more likely then not have a lower price point then existing sku's they also will come with a limited or reduced performance specification. As such these products being really 1 off's will likely not get the feature and software enhancements that the mainstream Netgear products get. So bear this in mind. They are designed for the mass market buyer not the performance seeking consumer.

I can say with confidence that what you are referring to here is not a new latest greatest product. For those seeking maximum performance stay within the mainstream product line of R7000, R7500 and R8000. Dont get distracted by these other variations.

I will try and keep the SNB audience in the loop as best I can without violating Netgear confidentiality. And I understand that the SNB buyer is always looking to buy products with as much information as possible. I will try and walk the line and help where I can.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

As I said earlier the 7900 is a channel specific product. This one is only sold at Costco. It has lower specs then the 8000 as you can see. It also will be uncertain as to firmware updates. It's design is to appeal to buyers who want a unique sku as well as not impinge on the mainstream channel partners Netgear has.

For those in the know buy the mainstream product not the channel specific sku.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

It's design is to appeal to buyers who want a unique sku as well as not impinge on the mainstream channel partners Netgear has.

It also allows retailers to dodge their own price-matching policies, like BestBuy's Asus "R" SKUs - they don't need to price match their RT-AC87R against the competitor's RT-AC87U ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!