What's new

NETGEAR RangeMax Next Wireless-N Modem Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Universal

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

Sorry for being a new, just wanted to check a few things with those who understand a lot more than me; took a Quick Look at existing threads but couldn’t seem to find anything.

I’ve got an old RangeMax Next Wireless-N DG834N. I was wondering would I be able to use this as a modem instead of my standard modem supplied by my ISP?

I’ve tried to set it up but to no avail, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas if this older type of router is even capable of running fibre optic?

Cheers

The DG834N is a prehistoric ADSL2+ modem router from nearly 20 years ago. Whatever your ISP is suppling is surely better than this?

I don't know what you mean by "fibre optic" but ADSL2+ operates over traditional copper telephone lines.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve just noticed that the standard modem supplied from the ISP struggles to get WiFi signal across the house, was thinking maybe this might do better.

And just a newer connection I guess, compared to the ADSL2+ the house is newer than the Modem aha

instead of my standard modem supplied by my ISP?

Why do you want to replace the ISP provided equipment? If something is not working and you use your own equipment - it turns into your problem.

SP struggles to get WiFi signal across the house

In this case you perhaps need your own device ("router") with better Wi-Fi after the ISP equipment. My advice though - don't remove the ISP equipment.

Last edited:
@Tech9 historically the router they supply has been pretty bad at signal strength, have spoken to some IT people at work and they buying your own router. But then again, if I can l link this router or another stronger one to the ISP I would not be totally against that to just get the strength of the signal across the house.

@ColinTaylor TalkTalk, they’ve been the most reliable and fastest provider in my area; waiting for hyperoptic to become available,

It’s their own hub for the WiFi from a company called sagecom CS50001

@Tech9 historically the router they supply has been pretty bad at signal strength

Wi-Fi routers are limited by local regulations. A new router may not give you better coverage. You are in the UK, the houses there are not very RF transparent, the channels selection is limited and common non-DFS range is up to 200mW. If you provide some details about your place (floors, area, configuration, building material, etc.) @ColinTaylor will tell you what may eventually work better. Don't take advice from people in different regions.

Understood!

Basic set up, house is 5x6m, timber frame, plasterboard walls so not concrete.

Cables from Main Street into main room at front of the house where the fibre optic port is powered up which leads directly to the WiFi router.

Have played about with WiFi range extenders but the signal is very patchy and drops from time to time.

Will be having works done on the house at some point where I am thinking of having a gigabit switch to carry a Ethernet cable of each floor so I can get signal from each floor.

Currently 2 floors but will be doing a loft conversion.

The normal signal carries over to the room directly above whoever the room across from the router has poor signal

If this makes any sense

I can find very little information about the CS50001. I think it's a dual band (2.4GHz & 5GHz) "wireless ac" router, although it looks pretty old as well. The Netgear is a single band (2.4GHz) router that only supports "wireless n". If your internet speed is below 50Mbps you might not notice the difference between the two routers over Wi-Fi.

Is there any way you can currently run an ethernet cable from the CS50001 to another, more central part of the house? If so, you could then put another wireless access point there to give you better coverage.

I can find very little information about the CS50001. I think it's a dual band (2.4GHz & 5GHz) "wireless ac" router, although it looks pretty old as well. The Netgear is a single band (2.4GHz) router that only supports "wireless n". If your internet speed is below 50Mbps you might not notice the difference between the two routers over Wi-Fi.

Is there any way you can currently run an ethernet cable from the CS50001 to another, more central part of the house? If so, you could then put another wireless access point there to give you better coverage.
Might have take a pass on this Netgear then!

This is exactly my plan for once I start works in the house, to run one cable to the first floor and another to the loft conversion once the work is complete, that way there is an access point on each floor.

My question now is, will each new access point have less connectivity (speed etc) compared to the first?

Hmm, what I found for Sagemcom SG 50001 - also known as PlusNet 2407N, MIPS router with 32MB RAM and single 2.4GHz b/g/n radio. Really?

Is this the device, @Universal?

1707178571526.png

1707178585726.png

This is weird.

1707178842881.png

An ISP in 2024 is providing the customers 2014 model single band N router? In the UK?

This is weird.

View attachment 56239

An ISP in 2024 is providing the customers 2014 model single band N router? In the UK?

You will be surprised what they do, they even report that the router is a £200 pound piece of kit that you get for free for joining them, it’s not the same one but wouldn’t be surprise if the internals are the same!

1707180292181.jpeg

Interesting...

I had something similar from Huawei years ago, 2.4GHz only, Fast Ethernet ports and xDSL modem. It was possible to use it as a modem only with own router behind. Perhaps this one can be used the same way too. Check TalkTalk forums and see what folks say. Your house is not big and perhaps single better Wi-Fi router can do the trick.

I also do find it interesting that searching TalkTalk Sagecom CS50001 keeps bringing up this Huawei DG8041w, I mean it looks identical to what was sent to me but again the sticker on the back of mine says sagecom 😂

IMG_1455.jpeg

Interesting...

I had something similar from Huawei years ago, 2.4GHz only, Fast Ethernet ports and xDSL modem. It was possible to use it as a modem only with own router behind. Perhaps this one can be used the same way too. Check TalkTalk forums and see what folks say. Your house is not big and perhaps single better Wi-Fi router can do the trick.
Yeah will just have a Quick Look for a basic TP link router that i can use as a relay on the first floor maybe!

Talktalk, do have a funny reputation though, when I lived in a different city and I joined them, all the traffic for my internet would go through BearFruits dns server which made no sense, but also when people would try and get my ip they would be directed there so was really weird 😂

basic TP link router

Before you buy something else - see if this router has Ch.100 in wireless settings. It allows higher power in Europe. This is for 5GHz band.