What's new

NETGEAR Rolls Out All New ReadyNASes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stevech: it doesn't actually need to copy the data; VMware will just start using a different hard disk file when a snaphot is created.

S4mb4: which country are you based? I got an email from a supplier in the uk saying that they had the 516 in stock. I'm dying to find out what they're like. I had decided on a qnap but these new netgear devices smash the price and support (5 years) of the qnap.

I received it yesterday.
I do not care for the OS 6 interface however i am loving the debian wheezy build they use underneath it. (to be fair i never used the web interface of the older nas either)
It seems very fast also. It built my new volume (6 - 2TB WD Reds) in about 4 hours. the Pro Business would have taken about 7 hours.
it saturates my LAN so i cannot test the write speeds.

scp from old nas to new nas (to move all my files) averages about 75MB/s (but like i said, i believe that is my switch and not the device)

I received it yesterday.
I do not care for the OS 6 interface however i am loving the debian wheezy build they use underneath it. (to be fair i never used the web interface of the older nas either)

Command line?

Command line?

I use SSH to admin the box.

for example, to get all my files over the new server, i log into the OLD nas and issue this command;

rsync -avz --progress /c/media/Videos root@192.168.1.50:/data/Videos/

sends everything over to the new machine (the new machine being at 192.168.1.50)

even though the GUI offers this functionallity, i prefer to use the command line.

still playing with the RN-516... i must say I am very satisfied.

i am now getting OVER 100MB/s transfer speeds.

1. connect using smbclient //NEW_NAS_IP/media
2. The box will ask the password. Just press Enter (assume you have SMB sharing turned on and Anonymous access allowed... Default settings)
3. After you connected do this step by step
4. type tarmode - press enter
5. type recurse - press enter
6. type prompt - press enter
7. mget Videos\ - press enter
8. the whole folder will be copied to your home folder at a very rapid rate!

Last edited:
Sounds good S4mb4.
Don't suppose you've tried installing add-ons like svn, virtual box or the like?

What did you do to increase speed fom 75 to 100Mbs? Replace switch?
What's the noise like?

Oh, and am I correct in thinking that btrfs is invisible - it's used as the underlying FS; you create a new slice/partition and format that to ext4 etc?
Which FS are you using?

Sounds good S4mb4.
Don't suppose you've tried installing add-ons like svn, virtual box or the like?

What did you do to increase speed fom 75 to 100Mbs? Replace switch?
What's the noise like?

i installed screen and unrar

however you have to add deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list

increased speed to over 100MB/s by transferring without encryption. used straight samba

110MB/s is the max of a Giga switch......

Snapshot...

In the context used here, snapshot is a copy of the allocated disk blocks and associated metadata.

It does not copy the actual data, just the pointers to the data.

This is not unlike ZFS (upon which btrfs is based) and NetApps' WAFL (Write Anywhere File Layout).

well, its time for me to eat crow....

my RN-516 is going back....

while the speed and look of the device are very impressive, the ability to actaully USe the device for what i wanted are not.

1. the DLNA server does not work. Netgear admits this but after 6 months, has not fixed it.
2. the Plex server writes its temp files for transcoding to /root. that partition is not big enough to handle this and causes the entire device to crash... again, Netgear admits knowledge of this but has yet to fix it.
3. anything you buy in the genie store, will without any warning, just uninstall itself. things like Transmssion will be running, serving torrents and WHAM, genie decides to uninstall it. and suprise, suprise, Netgear is aware and 'working' on it.

for over $1200, these things should not be happening. the features mentioned above have been working on Netgear devices for years (except for Genie). I refuse to step back and be a beta tester while they allow the users to figure it out.

I am getting a Synology device.

well, its time for me to eat crow....

my RN-516 is going back....

while the speed and look of the device are very impressive, the ability to actaully USe the device for what i wanted are not.

Netgear makes good ethernet switches. And has for a long time. The rest- not so good. Support? Laughable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!