What's new

Netgear WNDR4000 Problems - Help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

applebyter

New Around Here
I upgraded my old router to a Netgear WNDR4000 a couple of months ago. It worked perfectly for about 2 months, and now for the past 3 weeks I've had constant connection problems. I returned it to Netgear and got a replacement, that is, if anything, behaving worse than the previous one.

For the past 3 weeks I have had problems gettng an IP address from the DHCP server on the router. This happens to both wired and wireless devices. I tried using DHCP reservation to provide static addresses for my devices based on their MAC addresses.

Today the new router has also started having problems maintaining its connection to the internet through my modem. I've also had problems today where after resetting the WNDR4000 it wouldn't recognise any wired devices connected directly to it or through a GS108T switch. I had to then reboot the GS108T to get wired connections working again.

My network is pretty complex for a home environment. The WNDR4000 has a wired connection to a Motorola SB51000 cable modem. (Connected to Telstra's Bigpond cable network in Australia.) The WNDR4000 also has a wired connection to a Xerox network printer and a Netgear GS108T switch. (The DHCP server on the switch is turned off.) The GS108T has wired connections to 3 desktop computers, a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6, and a Netgear GS108 switch. The GS108 has wired connections to my home theatre gear: TV, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, X-Box, Network TV Antenna, Squeezebox Touch and a Boxee Box. I also have 3 android phones, 2 ipods, 1 ipad, 2 Squeezebox devices, and 2 laptops (running Windows 7) accessing the WNDR4000 wirelessly on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands and some running at G speeds.

I replaced my old router both because its wireless access was getting flaky and because it only supported G speeds. I don't think I've changed anything in my network since putting in the WNDR4000. (I did add the network TV antenna at the same time as the WNDR4000, but everything worked fine for almost 2 months.)

I have also had problems today with the Boxee Box pausing to reload its buffer when playing content across the local network. It has never done this in the past, but it did upgrade its firmware last night.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem? Any ideas about troubleshooting? Are there known problems with the WNDR4000 and/or with its DHCP server functionality? Netgear's tech support is worse than useless.

My background: I'm technically competent and a professor of software engineering. I'm far from being a networking expert -- I probably know just enough to be dangerous ;).

Thanks.

First place I would look is the managed switch - The GS108T has some good logging capabilities from it's web console.

There's plenty of knobs to turn on that switch with regards to VLAN's and port based settings, so dig around there as well.

ping is your friend on the client side :)

First place I would look is the managed switch - The GS108T has some good logging capabilities from it's web console.

There's plenty of knobs to turn on that switch with regards to VLAN's and port based settings, so dig around there as well.

ping is your friend on the client side :)

Hi,
Also I am sure you erased NVRAM after f/w upgrade. Since it is kind of trouble source unknown problem, first I'd make sure specially router power adapter is in perfect working order.

I've always have said stay away from Netgear. The only thing they make good and functional anymore is their switches.

Note: I didn't even read your posts. Just my 2 cents.

My Background: IT guy all my life and doing the 2 year Networking Program at a well known community college and getting my CCNA.

There have been DHCP issues for some people with other model Netgear routers which hopefully have been resolved with a new firmware update with the 3800.

Since your set up worked for 2 months and now does not could mean an issue with the router or your ISP. Does the problem occur if connected directly to the modem (not using the router)?

Have you posted on the Netgear forum? The forum is user driven with rare postings by Netgear personnel, so I suggest you also open a support ticket at my.netgear.com while you are still under warranty.

I have a Netgear 3800 and a 4500 router. Both function as expected. I hope you get your issue resolved soon.

I've always have said stay away from Netgear. The only thing they make good and functional anymore is their switches.

Note: I didn't even read your posts. Just my 2 cents.

My Background: IT guy all my life and doing the 2 year Networking Program at a well known community college and getting my CCNA.
Every manufacturer has had their rough patches. I've owned this model since September with nary a problem (has needed to be rebooted perhaps twice).