What's new

Netgear xr500 your experiences with this router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nope does not helped a bit.
The router cant be login to when its in AP mode.
And its a bit slower that Voxels and i know its not finished yeat but still.

Last edited:
Ya I presume there will be differences between the two routers in this regard. I don't use eSATA so I'm ok with that. There could be some other minor differences that we have yet to find.

Other than this, the XR500 FW works just fine on the R7800.

OK these posts got me interested so I gave it a try on my R7800.

I like the interface and QOS features much better than standard Netgear and it ran very well on my R7800.

The only problem I found was I could not get access to my eSATA drive via Readyshare. I'm sure this is due to the fact that the Netgear xr500 does not have eSATA, only two USB 3.0 ports.

If the eSATA drive had worked, I would be tempted to keep it installed. Back to Voxel's excellent R7800 Firmware.

Did you use the Static IP address for the AP mode?

I selected Dynamic Addressing for AP mode and this works for me. I can access it's UI using the new assigned IP address that it got from the main host router.

I'm hesitant to try static as there is a known bug with AP mode on stock NG and Voxel FW when using static IP address for AP mode. You can't connect to this static IP address at all, even though traffic flows fine.

Does is work just in Router mode, i have it in AP mode and i have the ip to it but its just goes on and on?!

30739257_1783225151740203_4621413797230280704_n.jpg

Seems your issue is not new. It was discussed here
idk that it was solved or not.
try to clear the browser cache first.

Dam how do i go back on FW it wount take the Voxel or the NG own FW?
Voxel give me a hand! please

Did you use the Static IP address for the AP mode?

I selected Dynamic Addressing for AP mode and this works for me. I can access it's UI using the new assigned IP address that it got from the main host router.

I'm hesitant to try static as there is a known bug with AP mode on stock NG and Voxel FW when using static IP address for AP mode. You can't connect to this static IP address at all, even though traffic flows fine.

No i use Dynamic Addressing and i get a ip from main router but i cant login on that IP as the picture show.

I just tried this out on mine. I had to reboot my main host router to get it refresh the clients list. After that the XR7800 was at 192.168.1.121 for me.

I used Windows 7x32 laptop and FF browser to connect to it.

No i use Dynamic Addressing and i get a ip from main router but i cant login on that IP as the picture show.

Dam how do i go back on FW it wount take the Voxel or the NG own FW?
Voxel give me a hand! please

Hold a pin on the reset button, turn off then on the router with pin still pushed till router power led starts blinking white. The set Ethernet settings as follows on a laptop after connecting it to the router;
IP: 192.168.1.2
Sub Net Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP: 192.168.1.1

Open Command Prompt and type:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT name-of-firmwre.img (ie whatever its named like a.img)

The router will install the firmware and reboot by itself.

Make sure to lead Command Prompt to the directory the file is in by typing cd C:\downloads as an example or just copy paste the location link from Winows Explorer to prompt after typing cd.
Also you need to enable tftp/telnet in windows Programs/Uninstall settings area.

What method did you use to revert back to Voxels FW?

OK these posts got me interested so I gave it a try on my R7800.

I like the interface and QOS features much better than standard Netgear and it ran very well on my R7800.

The only problem I found was I could not get access to my eSATA drive via Readyshare. I'm sure this is due to the fact that the Netgear xr500 does not have eSATA, only two USB 3.0 ports.

If the eSATA drive had worked, I would be tempted to keep it installed. Back to Voxel's excellent R7800 Firmware.

Thank you sir.

Hold a pin on the reset button, turn off then on the router with pin still pushed till router power led starts blinking white. The set Ethernet settings as follows on a laptop after connecting it to the router;

Make sure to lead Command Prompt to the directory the file is in by typing cd C:\downloads as an example or just copy paste the location link from Winows Explorer to prompt after typing cd.
Also you need to enable tftp/telnet in windows Programs/Uninstall settings area.

Ya seems like reverting back from XR FW to stock FW doesn't work using the XR UI. I presume this is and ID issue when going back. Maybe something that Vortex and fix. Glad the tftp method is handy.

Thanks man that was great, but i loved the GUI in the FW do!
But it was slower on the cable network but fast on WIFI network, and most of my stuff are on cable so.
Hope some one is going to fixed this up!

Interesting. My LAN network is fast and works well for me. Not seeing any slowness on the LAN side.

Did you run some LAN to LAN speed tests?

No i did not.
I get this all the time

C:\Temp>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT update.img
Connect request failed

I can login with a webbrowser at 192.168.1.1 i see the starting page and YES tftp/telnet is enable.

Last edited:
May something on your net working envrionment could be slowing your network down.

Did you factory reset the router before trying to TFTP process? Try that.

Yes i turned off then on the router with pin still pushed untill the router power led starts blinking white.
I can ping it and it aswers.
And i can see the 192.168.1.1/BRS_index.htm page.

I just tried the TFTP method. I did enable telnet in the debug page before starting the reset button. It works:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT R7800-V1.0.2.38.img
Transfer successful: 25561217 bytes in 4 second(s), 6390304 bytes/s

Router rebooted and now looking at the stock UI.

You should be back on stock or Voxels FW now, which ever one you picked. I used the NG stock FW v.38 to send my file.

Yes i turned off then on the router with pin still pushed untill the router power led starts blinking white.
I can ping it and it aswers.
And i can se the 192.168.1.1/BRS_index.htm page.

I just tried the TFTP method. I did enable telnet in the debug page before starting the reset button. It works:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT R7800-V1.0.2.38.img
Transfer successful: 25561217 bytes in 4 second(s), 6390304 bytes/s

Router rebooted and now looking at the stock UI.

You don’t need to enable telnet on the router side if doing the firmware reinstall. This tftp method is a fail safe that works without needing to fully load the firmware in the first place. I meant enable in Windows.

Yes its enabled in Windows i tried also the NG FW

Connect request failed

I tried with 3 PC now same shirt.
Connect request failed

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!