What's new

New Synology 1010+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott, thanks for the quick response.

I have problems understanding and trying to make good use of the comprehensive data and test done here as I'm not that much of a tech savvy person.

To further explain the scenario, we're not using ms office applications as often as we use adobe's premiere, photoshop, final cut & aperture that needs some form of stream read/write. Not simple read/write stuff.

So we have 2 guys on graphics editing that I don't believe will need constant access which is much more of a simple read write but using file sizes ranging from 250-500MB a pop.

We have 1 guy that does the heavy video editing that needs some form of a streaming demand working around with file size ranging from 500MB to 2GB a pop. And we'll have constant media (audio/video) streaming to most computers all the time.

Maybe from the above scenario, you can tell me what part of the data should I be looking for to suit the above setup?

thanks in advance once again! cheers!

I fully expect the users doing the graphic editing won't notice a difference, or the difference will be neglible compared to a local hard drive. I suspect the guy doing video editing will notice it a bit more. However, you can spend a lot of money trying to build a NAS (or SAN) that has the same performance as a native disk. My wife uses Premier and I'm using the DS1010+ at home. I will see if I have time to do a simple test to compare rendering a Premier project on a local disk compared to the DS1010+.

Keep in mind that how you configure the NAS plays a big role in performance. I have mine configured in a RAID 6. You may choose something different for performance rather than redundancy.

Scott

I am also looking for a drive to work on graphics work with After Effects and Photoshop. I am not as interested in Render performance but rather working performance. Will it allow me to work on those sorts of files, accessing uncompressed HD Video. Is it worth going for the DS1010+ over the DS411+ to use link aggregation?

Is there anyplace that really shows how the 1010+ compares to the 459 Pro over ethernet?

Has anybody tried both of these? I am just curious which one people prefer?

Has anybody tried both of these? I am just curious which one people prefer?

I would try the Synology and QNap forums and search for the things you prefer and see how owners of both units generally feel regarding those things.

The software has a lot of extras that most people don't really use so it's going to come down to performance, capacity and the RAID configurations simply due to the number of disks each unit can hold. You can only decide for yourself what your needs are.

If it were me making this decision, I would prioritize the following three items and let that be my guide: cost, capacity, and performance. After you prioritize these for your situation, the answer should be obvious.

For me, money wasn't my primary motivator so I went with a DS1010+ just to be done with it. I haven't looked back since

When you do make your decision, take care selecting your hard drives. A lot of people gravitate toward the WD Green drives but they are causing a lot of troubles in a RAID configuration. Those troubles are all solvable if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, but check the forums for the model of drive you're considering first and always check the HCL.

Scott

I have two brand new Hitachi drives to use and 2 Samsung F3. I don't have a fifth on yet if I would go with the 1010. If I get the 1010 do I need the fifth right away?

I have two brand new Hitachi drives to use and 2 Samsung F3. I don't have a fifth on yet if I would go with the 1010. If I get the 1010 do I need the fifth right away?

Nope. You can configure however you want with as many disks as you want. You can do 2 two disk volumes, one that's RAID 0 and the other RAID 1 if you want.

Synology has documentation on the valid RAID upgrade paths. If you do RAID 5 with four disks you can always add a fifth later and grow the volume. You cannot change to RAID 6 from RAID 5 though, but there are a lot of other RAID transition paths you can take.

Scott

So if I do a Raid 5, I can have 4 now and add a 5th later, great.
What about the hybrid raid that they have. Recommended or not?, and could I add a 5th later also.

So if I do a Raid 5, I can have 4 now and add a 5th later, great.
What about the hybrid raid that they have. Recommended or not?, and could I add a 5th later also.

Below is a quote from the Synology Web Site about Hybrid Raid

DSM 3.0 introduces Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), an intelligent volume type that optimizes volume size when combining hard disks of varying sizes. When set as the standard volume type in DSM 3.0, SHR provides one-disk data protection and the flexibility of expanding to an optimal volume space when a larger or additional hard disk is inserted into the array.

For users who prefer manually configuring the volume type, DSM 3.0 offers RAID-protected volume types (2-4 way RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5, RAID 5+Spare, and RAID 6) as well as volume types without data protection (Basic, JBOD, and RAID 0).

Oh, thanks a lot for the link - I didn't seem to be able to find that review anywhere. Good to see that the performance doesn't seem to suffer!

However, I'm seriously concerned about the fact that it doesn't turn on automatically and that you lose the volume if you don't start it up manually before starting the DS1010+?!

EDIT: Seems that problem has been fixed. At least according to reports on the Synology forums, it works fine.

Last edited: