What's new

New to NAS, question about formatting external USB for Mac...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apple wants you to live in a homogeneous universe.

I don't understand the meaning of that -- if anything, in this case Apple gives more options about saving files (less homogeneous). Perhaps you'd rather we all have 8.3 names? :)

Regardless, something seems odd with how the Synology works.

Why would it permit backing up such files from the Mac to the NAS -- but not permit backing up from the NAS to the USB-attached drive?

I don't understand the meaning of that -- if anything, in this case Apple gives more options about saving files (less homogeneous). Perhaps you'd rather we all have 8.3 names? :)

Regardless, something seems odd with how the Synology works.

Why would it permit backing up such files from the Mac to the NAS -- but not permit backing up from the NAS to the USB-attached drive?

Maybe because it has no control over what format an external drive has (and doesn't check either)?

Maybe because it has no control over what format an external drive has (and doesn't check either)?

By that line of thinking, then presumably even a NAS that supports HFS+ for the attached USB still won't save the files?

I asked Synology that when I was on chat, and the rep said "I think it will" but he couldn't give a concrete answer to that one.

By that line of thinking, then presumably even a NAS that supports HFS+ for the attached USB still won't save the files?

I asked Synology that when I was on chat, and the rep said "I think it will" but he couldn't give a concrete answer to that one.

Don't care to deal too much on theoretical. But I would assume that if it supports HFS+ and was mac compliant, it would have code in the firmware (DSM) that would take care of that in one way or another.

Don't care to deal too much on theoretical. But I would assume that if it supports HFS+ and was mac compliant, it would have code in the firmware (DSM) that would take care of that in one way or another.

Yes, but then I would expect EXT4 on the external to work.

Hopefully I can get a concrete answer from Synology.

Yes, but then I would expect EXT4 on the external to work.

Hopefully I can get a concrete answer from Synology.

Yes, I would expect that too. If it checked what format the external drive was.

While not exactly a NAS, you might be interested in a private cloud service with built-in project management capabilites. While I do not know the purpose for which you need a NAS, I’m fairly confident that it should suit you needs well. There are a couple solutions available that tick all the boxes, I suggest you look into them.

Yes, I would expect that too. If it checked what format the external drive was.
My Synology allows you to format to ext4 to overrule FAT32 or NTFS which is what most drives are sold with. If you don't use the NAS to format to ext4, it will stay in the default. The NAS will still use it. It is slower without ext4.

I use ext4 and in the rare instance I need to plug it into a windows PC, I use a freeware ext4 driver mount program.