What's new

New unofficial beta release for AC87u using new 5Ghz SDK QTN...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

faur

Regular Contributor
"View PostASUS@SG wrote:
Dear all,

This firmware contains major upgrades for 5Ghz SDK driver.

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_6440- Unofficial beta firmware

Download: http://goo.gl/fRJ88o

Improvement
[5Ghz] fix Intel 7260 throughput sometimes drop temporarily
[5Ghz] iPhone6 sometimes lose connectivity
[5Ghz] fix some Intel clients sometimes lose connectivity temporarily in video+data mixed traffic mode testing
[5Ghz] fix Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Tab Pro sometimes lose connectivity temporarily in video+data mixed traffic mode testing. Workaround for 3rd party receiver’s bug.

Notice: Require hard reset

Best regard,
JK
"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After first 3h of testing i can say that the range is improved - at least for my environment - i got no disconnection for my ipad, galaxy S5, 2 iphone 5s, 2 TVs - Panasonic and Samsung f6400, usb-ac56, media tank egreat 6r, 2 samsung tablets, 1 blackberry, 1 Synology NAS, 2 Sony Vaio laptops using Intel Centrino 7260 wifi cards, 1 xbox plus home theater Samsung and 2 IP Wifi cameras. I say that in compares with FW 6117 which i had 2-3 5Ghz disconnections per week. So far, i consider this new 5Ghz SDK better than the previous one in terms of range and stability. I will keep you updated with my test findings.
P.S. The network tools are working now but i didn't test the traffic analyzer, parent Control, IPTV...etc...i tested just the 5Ghz stability/range/throughput and so far i'm happy with the new QTN driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Testing it...

So far found WebGUI slow when going from tab to tab

5 Ghz ping times are still about 2.5 ms compared to 0.5 ms on 2.4 Ghz band. It also took me two times installing the new beta. After the first trial 5 Ghz didn´t come up properly as no device could connect.

Now everthing seems ok so far (beside the higher ping times on 5 Ghz band).

Same, but it happens on all firmware. Cant someone please ask Asus whats up with the ping time on 5ghz?

Montreal -> New Jersey = 10ms
Wireless adapter -> AC87U 15 feet away = 2ms.

I did not get to try this firmware on AC87U with my N66U as bridge though! I am currently busy so I will later tonight. :)

For those who have upgraded, does this fix the 2.4GHz issues with the 6117 beta?

I read a few times on 2.4 Ghz issues by now but no one specifies them :)

I switched from 6117 to 6440 and so far there is an improvement on the 2.4 Ghz band. On long distances with suboptimal reception my iphone/ipad needed a few seconds to get wifi connection after sleep mode. much better now with 6440.

When accessing my NAS that is behind an R7000 bridge to play video on another device in my home network, and both devices are connected via the 5Ghz band, I get frequent network errors (usually within 10 minutes, test with this firmware lasted about 20 minutes before starting to get errors). Once the errors start they are usually within minutes of one another.

I can work around it by setting the R7000 to use the 2.4GHz band instead.

Although the reliability of the 87U 5GHz wireless has improved a lot this problem has remained through all the updates I've tried, including this one.

Ian

After one day, no disconnection on both bands, no issue after AIProtect activation, no weird messages in system log... I will wait another day or two and I will start testing the traffic analyser...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

-Sometimes WebGUI response is slow when going from tab to tab or after login.
-UPnP keeps showing as on, when off on AiProtection scan report (I should check if its really on)
-WPS issue (turn on, on each reboot) is still present
-5Ghz on Samsung devices still drops aftwr some minutes (at least my case)

Replied through TapaTalk

Last edited:
This router is garbage...

Rather bold statement but each to his own.

My ac87u is very stable with my two iPads, iPhone AppleTV, my DELL desktop and recently a new thermostat(of all things). I wouldn't go back to my N66u. The ac87u is faster, coverage is better and no disconnects. No complaints at all.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find a router to your likeing.

This router is garbage...
No, it's not. You might not like it and it's Ok. Good thing is that you have the choice to sell it and get another one.
Most of the problems reported I don't have it, and I try to replicate them and report it.
Also think that most of the issues are software related that if it's not fixed on stock firmware you can rely on DDRWT, Merlin's, Fork, etc.

Replied through TapaTalk

Well, every single review of this router that you can find on the net (at least every single one that I've seen- and I've seen many) gave it a good or very good review. So it seems that most people disagree with the above statement.

I also have to say that I am absolutely amazed by this router. And this after having used it since September last year. I don't know if everybody suffers from the 2ms delay which some people apparently get when using the 5GHz wi-fi (somebody kept mentioning this) and Beamforming certainly isn't reliable with mobile devices. But apart from these two details it is a beast, in the positive sense. I've seen a lot of complaints about the AC32000 (which doesn't support MU-MIMO as the AC87 does), so I guess it's difficult to make people happy or to find out what they consider a great 802.11ac wave2 router.

I've never owned any Apple devices though, but since the issues with Apple devices are proven to originate in flaws within Apple's wi-fi implementation I would find it somewhat inappropriate to blame any potential issues with this on this particular router.

Apple is fixing or I should say going back to the way it should be at IOS8.4 and on, they gave up it seems on some new way or whatever one would call it.
I bet when we see IOS 8.4 hit (now that asus tuned the firmware for the IOS 8.0-8.3 way, though it seems) Asus will hopefully fix all wifi problems again, so finally we all can be happy and LAG FREE!!!:)

Noticed your iPhone and Mac’s Wi-Fi weren’t so good over the last year? You’re not alone, and Apple is finally fixing it, albeit quietly.
Wi-Fi problems were one of the biggest complaints about Apple’s Yosemite update for Mac last year, with thousands of users taking to Apple’s support forums to air frustration.
Ever since upgrading to yosemite, discoveryd goes to 100% cpu and dns requests fail. What new nightmare is this?! pic.twitter.com/ErYAtAsAbM
— Michael Koziarski (@nzkoz) October 17, 2014
If you’re wondering exactly what happened, there are a few moving parts. First, you need to understand what the Domain Name System (DNS) does.
Each computer on the internet has an IP address, which is like where it can be found on a street. Domain names for websites, like thenextweb.com, have an attached IP address that locates these computers. Think of a domain name as a human-readable way to get to the right IP address.
DNS servers, like the ones Google or your internet provider offers, keep a directly of domain names and their IP addresses.
When you type thenextweb.com into your Web browser, your computer requests the address from a DNS server, then takes you to the right page. It all happens without your knowledge — at least, when it works.
For the better part of twelve years, Apple used a single piece of software called “mDNSResponder” to manage much of your Mac’s networking, including this lookup process. In general, it worked flawlessly.
When OS X Yosemite rolled around in late 2014, Apple decided to rip out the trusty DNS responder and replaced it with a new process called “discoveryd.”
We don’t know the exact reason for dropping it, but the replacement appeared to be related to the new Airdrop to iPhone feature that was part of the update. Apple re-wrote the discoveryd process from the ground-up in a new language, C++.

The problems with discoveryd have been vast and unpredictable. You’ve probably run into at least one: duplicate computer names, random crashes, slow page loading, slow reconnection after sleep — the list goes on.
Apple tried on three occasions to patch out the problems, but the complaints continued to flow in. When a beta build of OS X hit 10.10.4 in May, discoveryd suddenly vanished after months with no fix.
At first, many wondered if it was an accident, but mDNSResponder had miraculously returned and has stuck around in the latest beta builds.
At WWDC we’ve learned that Apple has killed discoveryd in both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 and mDNSResponder is back once again. When we get the updates later this year, your devices’ Wi-Fi should be a lot more reliable.
In the meantime, OS X 10.10.4, which is currently in beta, also drops discoveryd and should be available soon for download.
Apple never officially commented on why it dropped the new app (we’ve asked, again) , but the change will be a welcome one for anyone who uses its products.
Read Next: Everything Apple announced at WWDC in one handy list

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!