What's new

Newbie needs help with download speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks to both wouterv & L&LD for their suggestions. I appreciate the time you are taking to help me.

I am somewhat limited by where I can move the router. With the coax terminating on one wall, and the ethernet on the other wall, I would need to have an ethernet cable run across the room to where the router is. Unless I figured out a way to snake this down inside the wall, it would mean having a visible cable run across the room - something my wife would be very opposed to! I do have the one bedroom upstairs where the two connections are next to each other, and will try to see if there is a marked improvement by moving the router there. Actually, it may make sense to try it in all the upstairs rooms, and if it makes a huge difference, then figure out a solution to neatly move the ethernet connection next to the router so that I can use that to provide internet to the switch in the closet.

In any case, you have given me a lot to think about. Thanks again.

Glad to help. :)

Without changing anything right now, record the best throughput you can get in the best and worst locations in the house.

I would use Ookla speedtest and your closest connection if offers (when hovering over it with your mouse) for testing your ISP with and using a wired computer with a large file and a wired laptop downloading that file to see the current limits.

When you relocate the router, do the same tests from the same device from the same location / orientation and compare to the original throughput numbers.

Before relocating the router, you may want to manually test for the best channel too for each band. And see how it compares to how the WiFi environment responds with the router in the other locations.

Remember, throughput is king. Indicated signal strength and indicated connection rates take a back seat to an increase and / or consistency in actual throughput.

Yes, this is a good portion of a partial or even a full day's work to test properly. Keep good notes (use a spreadsheet that is setup beforehand) and your favorite drink handy.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!