What's new

Newbie questions on Asuswrt Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted2

Hi folks,

I just purchased my Asus RT-AC3100 router over the weekend. I just have a few questions before I flash Merlin on it.

1) Is the flashing of Merlin considered an "upgrade" or will it wipe out my current settings? In other words, do I need to start all over again to configure all of my settings?

2) Question on Samba. I am using Ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop and just can't seem to authenticate to a 4TB Seagate drive I have plugged into the USB 3.0 port. If I enable the option to "allow guest login", I can read and write to the drive with ease. My question is with regards to security. Is the drive exposed to the outside world with this setting on OR is it a LAN feature only? I am the only one using my LAN and occasionally my wife with her Chromebook. I am not worried about someone internally wiping out my files. I am concerned with the outside world.

3) Have the security issues with AiCloud be fixed? Is it recommended to turn this off?

Thanks guys. Love this forum so far.

K

1) Settings are preserved.

2) Samba isn't shared over WAN, only over the LAN. For authentication issues, make sure the password doesn't contain any unusual characters such as "$".

3) The known issues have been resolved. Whether there are any more issues left, nobody knows - doesn't seem like any security outfit has done any extensive testing of it.

RMerlin,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Re: Samba. I did change the username of the admin account on the router (from "admin" to something more personal) BUT my password for this router admin account DOES contain symbols like @ and !

Do you think the symbols is what is preventing me from logging in authenticated?

Thanks!!

RMerlin,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Re: Samba. I did change the username of the admin account on the router (from "admin" to something more personal) BUT my password for this router admin account DOES contain symbols like @ and !

Do you think the symbols is what is preventing me from logging in authenticated?

Thanks!!

Create a different user for SMB sharing, you'll see if that's your problem.