What's new

Nighthawk X8- R8500 Tri Band Quad Stream WiFi Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Only what is available in the UI logging, ie., if there’s security related attacks detected from the WAN, this will reflect in the current log

Only what is available in the UI logging, ie., if there’s security related attacks detected from the WAN, this will reflect in the current log

Thanks. Then there must be a bug or lack of UI development on the logs because it shows just about nothing security related. I've seen a few Ddos attacks show up in logs but that is it. Normal day to day blocks of scans and other security events that any router connected to internet gets are not showing up.

This product lacks a lot. Just little things like the names of devices showing in all logs. You can for example set a dhcp mapping of an IP address, give it a name and then that name does not carry over to the other parts like showing connected devices. A long way to go with a 400 dollar router.

I just bought mine only to find it out lacks a VPN Client on it, but has the ability to be a VPN Server. NETGEAR Guy, anyway you guys can add a VPN Client ability with OpenVPN? It shouldn't be hard since the server is already there, add it as an option please and i'm tempted to return it now as i really want this feature. The other competitor ac5300 has it. Personally don't want to install dd-wrt just for this single feature.

Currently the R8500 has OpenVPN support for remote clients. Will check status with engineering and product teams regarding your question..

Yes exactly, which means the router acts as a VPN Server and allows clients such as mobile and other PC's to connect to it. That's perfectly fine, but what i'm asking is for the router to be a VPN Client itself that connects to another VPN Server (such as paid VPN subscriptions out there to mask the IP for all network devices attached to the router), thus not needing VPN clients per PC to do that. It is possible and it's the only thing this router is lacking in my opinion. Normally it would be just a username, password, and import of .ovpn and CA file or edit of .ovpn manually while in some sort of table. For a router this expensive i'm actually surprised it included a server but not a client ability.

Last edited:
Wanted to mention something about the UI, in Attached Devices > Edit any device, it only allows you to change the device name. You cannot change the device icon type to something else such as a TV, tablet, etc. (even though you can if you use the genie app for windows apparently, i could be wrong but i'm basing it on app screenshots).

Last edited:
I've been having issues with 2.4GHz dropping. No idea why.

5GHz has been stable. Tried a 30-30-30 reset, my wireless printer and air conditioner keep dropping connection. It's driving me bonkers. Anyone have any ideas?

What firmware version?

Still having issues

So just to update - I turned off turboQAM or whatever on the 2.4GHz and selected channel 6. The router decided to sit on channel 3 and with those two things, it seems to be stable.

Not sure if the drops were a result of massive overcrowding of 2.4 in my neighborhood or if it is a netgear bug or what, just glad it is stable now.

Last edited:
So what's next for this router? Spent good money on it, and really it's pretty boring and not much above other netgear products especially in terms of features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's next for this router? Spent good money on it, and really it's pretty boring and not much above other netgear products especially in terms of features

Anything?

Pardon me for saying this - Boring is a very good thing with Router/AP's - set them up, leave them alone - patch if needed...

;)

Pardon me for saying this - Boring is a very good thing with Router/AP's - set them up, leave them alone - patch if needed...

;)

Agreed! I am done with my A**S routers. It updates (beta) firmware twice a month, adding new features, improving the UI (login screen for example), even updated the driver of the WiFi chips. Dose it sounds great? I don't think so. After many times of "reset to factory" requested by the new firmware, and you cannot restore your settings from backup, I finally decided to throw it into the bin.

BTW, Even with so many firmwares, they cannot even fix an IPv6 problem in about 1.5 years! What's worst? It used to be working! I am not sure what are those engineers focused at.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!